IGNORED

An open letter to pastors about Mothersday

angels4u

Guest LadyC

Mothers dont get a day of flowers and somehow thats considered punishment? I dont follow that reasoning.

So, on a day that is there to honor mothers, we need to not honor mothers just because some get hurt feelings? How is that not punishing mothers? I guess perhaps I should hear from mothers on this, but to me that's saying that this poor women's feelings are more important then you being a mother. Perhaps we should cancel veterans day as well, since war is offensive to some.

i shared my feelings, as a mother, already... i don't like the to-do at churches on mothers day. never have, never will. i just think it's not the appropriate place. like i said, mothers should be honored and celebrated within the family. it's not necessary for churches to make a big thing of it. 

my husband asked my mom the other day if she was going to church with us this sunday. she said no, that she has no interest in going to church on mothers day.

so there is the opinion of two moms.

and i'm sure there are more out there. in the church i attended in vegas, they gave little gifts to the newest, the youngest, the oldest, the one with the most children, and gave honorable mentions to the step moms. the ONLY people i ever knew who enjoyed that nonsense in church was the mothers who won the gifts.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I agree the awards to who has more kids and whatnot maybe overboard and not sure I could support that, but just having moms as a whole standup is not out of line if you ask me.

Men are not pressured about kids the way women are. Women are made to feel like failures if they do not have kids. It can be quite hurtful to barren women. 

that maybe, but why should we punish the mothers for it? theres being sensitive, and then theres punishing the mothers just so we don't hurt feelings. I don't think having moms stand up and honoring them one day out of the year, is being insensitive. Yes, women are pressured to have kids, often unjustly so, that is indeed a problem with society, and punishing those who have kids, isn't going to make the problem go away.

Since the Lord doesnt separate out mothers from married barren women, why should a church? Why should Christians?

That goes with many in this world who are suffering that the world does not recognize.How about those who are disabled.Is there a day that recognizes them and honors them?

You're right bobeep ~~disabled people should be recognized .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

I honestly was unaware that honoring mothers on Mother's Day in church was a hurtful or contentious issue.  To me this almost sounds like a jealousy or unresolved issues affair.  If it's simply a 'fairness' or sensitivity issue, I don't know how that can be resolved without ignoring Mother's Day.  There is no mandate for a church to honor Mother's Day, but since it's a reverent and civilized nod toward mothers, I don't see why it's specifically inappropriate or hurtful. 

Guest LadyC

I honestly was unaware that honoring mothers on Mother's Day in church was a hurtful or contentious issue.  To me this almost sounds like a jealousy or unresolved issues affair.  If it's simply a 'fairness' or sensitivity issue, I don't know how that can be resolved without ignoring Mother's Day.  There is no mandate for a church to honor Mother's Day, but since it's a reverent and civilized nod toward mothers, I don't see why it's specifically inappropriate or hurtful. 

i actually suggested earlier a way that mothers could be honored without making anyone uncomfortable. (and trust me, it's not just moms that feel discomfort at these things. many moms do, too.

simple solution... hand out roses at the door without making a big deal about it.

i think i'll start a poll of mothers on this subject, then we'll get a good sampling.

LadyC ,I think it's great to have Mothersday but there need to be consideration that not every women is a mother ~~and it can be very hurtful..if they are more or less singled out~~

All some people need is consideration~~

Guest LadyC

i think i'll start a poll of mothers on this subject, then we'll get a good sampling.

LadyC ,I think it's great to have Mothersday but there need to be consideration that not every women is a mother ~~and it can be very hurtful..if they are more or less singled out~~

i agree.

and apparently i have no clue how to do a poll. maybe someone else can start one.

i agree.

and apparently i have no clue how to do a poll. maybe someone else can start one.

hahaha,I forgot how to do it too...maybe we can add it to this page somehow?

Guest LadyC

that would be nice! i started a topic, and used the 'manage poll' options, added my questions and answers, clicked finish, typed out my topic message, and submitted... and the poll didn't show up!