• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

In my former denomination (Presbyterian Church in Ireland)  there is moves afoot to sanction a pastor who can out in support of the Republic of Ireland's yes vote in the gay marriage referendum, while I agree that sanctions are a good thing in this case, I want to ask the question can there ever be unity between theologically conservative and theologically liberal strands of Christian thought? Also how d we define what is conservative and liberal (I am not talking politically)?

Guest Teditis

Of course there can be. The unifying aspect is the brotherhood through Salvation.

It just takes the work of Sanctification to mature us in the love of God for all who

are in Christ... the immature like to squabble and bicker.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

In my former denomination (Presbyterian Church in Ireland)  there is moves afoot to sanction a pastor who can out in support of the Republic of Ireland's yes vote in the gay marriage referendum, while I agree that sanctions are a good thing in this case, I want to ask the question can there ever be unity between theologically conservative and theologically liberal strands of Christian thought? Also how d we define what is conservative and liberal (I am not talking politically)?

There is no such thing as Christian thought on supporting gay marriage. Light does not mix with darkness and the Kingdoms are not divided. Let them who name the Lord Jesus depart from iniquity. 

2Ti_2:19  Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 

There would be nobody the Lord knows as his who supports gay marriage, so it's like asking if we can bridge the gaps between Christianity and Witchcraft. Neither would we want unity with those that practice witchcraft. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I want to ask the question can there ever be unity between theologically conservative and theologically liberal strands of Christian thought?

The short answer is "No".

Also how do we define what is conservative and liberal (I am not talking politically)?

A conservative Christian believes that the Holy Bible is inspired, inerrant, and infallible, therefore the ONLY foundation for faith, doctrine, and practice.  The liberal rejects this, while the "traditionalist" elevates Tradition above Scripture.  As they say, as different as chalk and cheese.

Guest Teditis

As long as they're Christians I try not to judge too much... how they "walk"

with Christ is between God and them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,256
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

There is unity among all who are filled with the Holy Spirit and follow Him. He enlightens us to the the truth of Scripture. He applies it to our lives. He helps us understand to whom Scripture is written and why, as well as how the same principles apply to us today. By this all willl know that you are My discìples, if you have love for one another. Jn 13:35 NKJV God removes bigotry from our hearts. No one agrees 100% with another Christian, but that doesn't change the love thay have for one another.

For understanding we need to put on the mind of Christ according to 1 Cor. chapters 1-3. Too often we try to understand Scripture with our human intellect and what seems reasonable to us. All of us need the Holy Spirit to enlighten us and interpret Scripture, and God slowly moves us to a more uniform understanding as we die to self and yield to Him.

I have personally known extremes on all ends of the spectrum who were not genuine Christians. A person can interpret the bible very literally but use it to justify their sin instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to convict them. The person I am thinking of committed horrible crimes against his family, abusing his children.

The person who thinks of religion as pie in the sky philosoply also may not have allowed the Holy Spirit to touch his life, but has a compartment for intellectual speculation. He might say that the Bible is irrellevant to today or he might delight in arguing theology and cause scism.

The person who is dug in to tradaiton without knowing Christ has a form of godliness without knowing the power thereof. He wants a lodge, not a dynamic church.

All people of these aextremes may repent one day and come to saving knowledge of Christ.

Guest shiloh357

There can be no "unity"  between theological conservative and liberal factions.   The liberal factions MUST  deny many cardinal doctrines of the faith, like the historical inerrancy of Scripture, the infallibility of the doctrines of Scripture and the unchanging nature of Scripture.

Theologically liberal "believers"  (so-called)  deny the authority of the Bible to define sin and they live within a cultural Christianity that goes through religious motions, but are not really committed followers of Jesus.   They adhere to a form of Christianity that doesn't really have Christ in it.     They serve a "Jesus"   that they can define and control and mold around their belief system.

With such, there can never be any kind of theological, biblical unity, ever.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  2

I am seeing a difference in the unity of institutions/church organizations and individuals.

Yet neither individuals or institutions can be truly united unless there are common beliefs or doctrines.

The factions between organized religious institutions have been disappearing over the past century, and today they are virtually united in leadership, finance and doctrine. But there are plenty of factions among the people, even though the organizations are in a confederation.

The unity of the churches is based on a few doctrines shared by all. Some only sharing one or two points.

Some basic points of unity are - A cosmic Christ - one lord of all religions, anything from this god to that god, but all the one god or Universal Christ.

The eternal spiritual entity or soul within all mankind,

Preterist and futurist teachings of prophecy,

The up coming millennium of peace on earth,

Recognition of the Roman Catholic Church as the chosen head of world religion,

General Sunday worship,

The official acceptance of scientific theories on evolution,

The proliferation and use of false, Gnostic and new age 'Bibles,'

The increased role of the church in secular and political affairs,

The acceptance of a general false gospel.

In the future, it is possible that another doctrine will unite the world even more, the doctrine of the "god within" all.