• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,713
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I would disagree. First off being raised in a church doesn't make one a Christian, first off. Second while some 15 year olds are pretty mature, they still lack the life experience and maturity to properly lead a church. Third, 15 or 50 women do not qualify as elders so we can assume its only men here.

I think elders, along with any church leadership need to be chosen wisely, the church needs to compare them to the Bible to make sure they not only fit the requirements but have the experience and leadership ability to do the job properly.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1965

i agree with that pat

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I believe that a 15 yr old who goes to church since he or she was born is more of an elder than a 50 yr old who has become a christian for a year.

According to Scripture, the very term "elder" implies one who is not only mature chronologically but also mature in the faith.  So your hypothetical 15 year old could never qualify as an elder, whereas the 50 year old could mature in the faith very quickly, and if called and gifted by God, and qualified according to Scripture, would sooner be an elder.  There is more to being an elder then just the length of time one has been a Christian.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I believe that a 15 yr old who goes to church since he or she was born is more of an elder than a 50 yr old who has become a christian for a year.

a child of 15 lets say, dies , BUT has given his whole 15 yrs on this earth praising  the Lord and worshipping the Lord  since the very first breath they have taken in life MUST be more of an elder than someone new to christianity whos older.

No one is a Christian from birth. Despite that fact, there is no such thing as a hierarchy in the Body of Christ, nor a greater or a lesser in the Kingdom in the temporal life we live now. Age or length of time as a Christian has nothing to do with spiritual maturity.

Yes i agree age is never a judge of spiritual maturity.

However, i do believe that in most cases, a 50 year old is likely to be more experienced than a 15 year old. The journey to spiritual maturity is much faster for a physically matured person than a child or teenager.

We need to be careful about those kinds of judgments. I have witnessed greater maturity in a young person, spiritually, than many 50-year-old believers. The journey is not faster for anyone based on age. It has to do with the ability for one to yield oneself to the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

my friend i went to school with , she is 49 now. but when i was 7 yrs old  she was a true blue christian and through the years of seeing her i knew shed make her mark serving the Lord. she studied hard ,went to bible school and now i am happy to say my friend has been a missionary in santa cruz bolivia since she left our hometown.

oh and for the person who said no was a christian from birth , well we are brought in this world free of sin and my friend i bet she was.and f she wasnt Jesus was!!!

No one is born free of sin.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Titus 1 6-9

If anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

Guest shiloh357

Young people can be more mature in some ways that older people, but there are older people who are mature and have a host of life experience that a mature young person cannot speak to and have a perspective on life that you just can't get except with age and experience  and that is needed in counseling and in leadership