ricky

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I see the point of the protest, but as someone who was born outside the US I fully agree with Morning Glory's view about the Christian flag. I was a Christian for 7 years before I moved to the US. The only reason I know a Christian flag existed in the US was because of an interest in vexenology (the study of flags). The Christian flag just seems to be an American thing, Christianity is a global faith, yet the Christian flag is not a global symbol, and would not be recognized by the average, non nerdy believer outside the US.

In Canada we have in our church the Canadian, the Provincial, the Church (denomination) and Christian flags.

We as Christians are to be subject to the laws and governments of the land and to obey the laws....for good or ill. God puts leaders in and removes them to suit HIS purpose. I agree that no flag should be above the flag of the land. Flying the "Christian" flag side by side is different...other than that..US flag must be on top.

I'm not sure that's true. We are to submit to the laws of the land only in so far as they do not make us violate God's laws. This particular situation is to me a grey area. Jesus said to give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. I can see someone honestly thinking that putting a symbolic representation of allegiance to God physically above the flag as being obedient to Jesus' words here and Paul's words elsewhere where he says to give honor to whom honor is due. And in the US, civil disobedience as a form of protest is well recognized as a right of freedom of expression. For a discussion on the legal and/or moral right to civil disobedience:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/civil-disobedience/

There is no law concerning the Christian flag that has anything to do with God's laws. Actually in churches they are displayed side by side. The Christian flag is realatively new within the past century or so. The Christian church has Christ as it's head.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Well that's not really true. It didn't really get called the christian flag until the 20th century and that's how it Gaines popularity-but it goes back farther then that, back to Europe. The crusaders flew these colors during the holy war with Islam over Israel.

I agree. But this particular flag goes back to Late 1800's created by Charles Overton at Coney Isaland and has been adopted ny all.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Thanks for your comments saved_ricky, but that's the point with using the Christian Flag in the US.  We are protesting the US government, so of course we would use a flag to symbolize that we answer to a higher power.  Our federal government has (recently) chosen not to recognize any higher authority than itself and it's past time that it be reminded that it is wrong.

It even has its own pledge:  "I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands; one brotherhood, uniting all mankind in service and in love."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps if many Christians would lead a "Christ-life" it wouldn't be necessary to make such overt statements...which only tend to arouse and bolster the resistance. It would seem there exists enough to defend within "Christianity" without expanding the arena decidedly further.  

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I disagreeTolken.  Since we are in a cultural battle and our enemies have called their colors, we must do the same in return.  But, don't trouble yourself, there are others that are willing to make a stand with this.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

Perhaps if many Christians would lead a "Christ-life" it wouldn't be necessary to make such overt statements...which only tend to arouse and bolster the resistance. It would seem there exists enough to defend within "Christianity" without expanding the arena decidedly further.  

Preach often, when necessary, use words.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I'm torn on this one, first I do think Christ needs to come above country-but on the other hand the bible also says to obey our government unless it goes against God-and the law says that the American flag needs to be displayed the highest, and the christian flag isn't Christianity, nor is it even in the bible.

There is no law, none whatsoever, that says nothing flies above the us flag. There is a protocol that is not a law. And that is violated all the time in the us.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I disagreeTolken.  Since we are in a cultural battle and our enemies have called their colors, we must do the same in return.  But, don't trouble yourself, there are others that are willing to make a stand with this.

Thank you for your arrogant reply, however I trouble myself often in defense of my Faith. Fortunately it can be done with reasoned discussion and without resorting to aligning my responses to the same level of those who vehemently oppose and question Christianity. Further what stand is one making?...seemingly a political one, perhaps wiser to make a personal one in the comportment of one's life and actions than an adverserial one just like the "liberals" and "leftists".