ricky

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps if many Christians would lead a "Christ-life" it wouldn't be necessary to make such overt statements...which only tend to arouse and bolster the resistance. It would seem there exists enough to defend within "Christianity" without expanding the arena decidedly further.  

Preach often, when necessary, use words.

thereselittleflower - A more salient form would be "Preach the Gospel, and since it is necessary, use words". Considerably different then simply flying a flag or not engaging in thoughtful discussion...and also quite Biblical - Romans 10:14.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I'm torn on this one, first I do think Christ needs to come above country-but on the other hand the bible also says to obey our government unless it goes against God-and the law says that the American flag needs to be displayed the highest, and the christian flag isn't Christianity, nor is it even in the bible.

There is no law, none whatsoever, that says nothing flies above the us flag. There is a protocol that is not a law. And that is violated all the time in the us.

That is where your wrong that is federal law. No flag may be displayed above the height of the American flag. They can be displayed level with the American flag as long as the American flag is the farthest to the right. If the American flag is the highest it may be in the middle but only if it is the highest. I have a complete set of the law on PDF if your interested, I used to do honor gaurd-i am well versed on what the law says.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I'm torn on this one, first I do think Christ needs to come above country-but on the other hand the bible also says to obey our government unless it goes against God-and the law says that the American flag needs to be displayed the highest, and the christian flag isn't Christianity, nor is it even in the bible.

There is no law, none whatsoever, that says nothing flies above the us flag. There is a protocol that is not a law. And that is violated all the time in the us.

That is where your wrong that is federal law. No flag may be displayed above the height of the American flag. They can be displayed level with the American flag as long as the American flag is the farthest to the right. If the American flag is the highest it may be in the middle but only if it is the highest. I have a complete set of the law on PDF if your interested, I used to do honor gaurd-i am well versed on what the law says.

This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#USFC

And even within that code, they can fly the Christian flag above it during services.

It doesn't impose penalties, that much is true but it is the law-that site says code-but that site isn't fully accurate. The government document itself calls it law-i will see about getting that PDF loaded later on. But I garentee you its law. (Incidentally code is different then protocal. Protocal is more of a procedure code is more like a law)

And notice what it says-it may only be displayed higher then the American flag during services. To display it any other time higher, is against the law-or code if you prefer to call it that, and the way this church is displaying it is against the "code" (law)

Thats not true jeff. Yes, the Bible says not to serve two masters-and to give unto ceasar what is ceasar. But, it also says we are to respect the authority put over us-which means to follow the rules and guidelines, and "codes" (Laws) that they lay out. 

As far as patriotism, without patriotism, Israel would, in itself not be a country today. The Bible does teach loyalty, and theres nothing in there that says you can't be patriotic as long as it doesnt come between you and God-God is number one, no matter what. Keep in mind, the founding fathers cited 27 biblical reasons for splitting from england in their declaration of independence, and that entire regiments in the revolutionary war were churches whose pastor stood up and said were fighting and the men of the church followed. A pastor can indeed be patriotic-patriotism, to a point, is actually biblical, and part of following God. You serve God through serving your country, then you are not in the wrong.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Thats not true jeff. Yes, the Bible says not to serve two masters-and to give unto ceasar what is ceasar. But, it also says we are to respect the authority put over us-which means to follow the rules and guidelines, and "codes" (Laws) that they lay out. 

As far as patriotism, without patriotism, Israel would, in itself not be a country today. The Bible does teach loyalty, and theres nothing in there that says you can't be patriotic as long as it doesnt come between you and God-God is number one, no matter what. Keep in mind, the founding fathers cited 27 biblical reasons for splitting from england in their declaration of independence, and that entire regiments in the revolutionary war were churches whose pastor stood up and said were fighting and the men of the church followed. A pastor can indeed be patriotic-patriotism, to a point, is actually biblical, and part of following God. You serve God through serving your country, then you are not in the wrong.

the_patriot2015 - Very well put!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Doesn't the determination of that relevance belong to the owner of the flagpole?

Yes, as long as it's HIS flagpole. That doesn't mean anyone else has to see it as relevant.

The U.S. flag code only establishes advisory rules for the display and care of the American flag, i.e., the penalty for failing to comply isn't enforced.

Don't know, don't care.  I don't think it's right. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

For those who are interested, the code can be found here

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

The Code is designed “for the use of such civilian groups or organizations as may not be required to conform with regulations promulgated by one or more executive departments” of the federal government.3 Thus, the Flag Code does not prescribe any penalties for non-compliance nor does it include enforcement provisions; rather the Code functions simply as a guide to be voluntarily followed by civilians and civilian groups.

Edited by thereselittleflower

Yes but if your part of the government there are penalties, say for instance someone broke this code at a federal memorial such as the Vietnam wall, and someone will likely be looking for a new job and if your a civilian honor gaurd and fail to follow the rules you may end up out of a job in a real hurry. Or, do like this church did and get a severe public backlash.