14f8150e23afcf43d39d02c5bd8af45e.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

There has been an obsession with angels in our world.There have been movies and television shows featuring angels.People buy angel figurines and keep them in their homes and in their cars to pray to.This is very wrong.In fact in the Bible when people bowed down to the angels they told them not to bow down to them but only to God.

While I understand your concern, I don't think the fact that the world has made angels something other than they should be to be a valid reason to reject the plain meaning of scripture.

The words here from scripture have nothing whatsoever to do with bowing down to angels.   It has to do with mistreatment of children.

Jesus says:   "their angels"

their
T͟Her/
determiner

1. 1.
    belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.

This is what the word "their" means.

"Their angels"  -  angels belonging to or associated with the children Jesus previously mentioned.

This is the plain language of scripture.   These are the plain words of Jesus.    We shouldn't negate them out of fear.  :)

Edited by thereselittleflower

angel_zps5d3dc6cf.jpg

My mom  described my guardian angel to me when I was young......   I found a picture of her description some time ago.     and just in case you are wondering, no I'm really not joking....

I agree - mine must also look like this many a time.

That is such a powerful picture.  :)

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Have I ever seen an angel?Not to my knowledge but I have helped several in dire need.Picked some up off the ground while others just walked on by.Were they an angel?I don't know. I Don't Know

Edited by bopeep1909

That is such a powerful picture.  :)

It is comforting isn't it?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I see no absolute evidence to support the claim of a guardian angel for each person but equally I see no absolute evidence to deny such a claim either. 

"It cannot be emphatically answered from Scripture whether or not each believer has a guardian angel assigned to him/her."

http://www.gotquestions.org/guardian-angels.html

Edited by bopeep1909

Guest shiloh357

There is no doctrine in Scripture that we have personal angels.   Their statement only shows that these early believers still had a residue of Jewish superstitions that they had not managed to discard.  Nothing in the Bible indicates that God assigns our personal angel.

That is false Shiloh

Jesus says:

Matthew 18:10 

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

These are the words of Jesus.

"their" in "their angels" is possessive.

Obviously children have personal angels.   That's why we call them Guardian Angels.

The Bible says that the Lord (not angels) is our guardian.  He is our shield, our buckler our high tower, our rock and fortress.  He is our defense.  The Bible NEVER says we have guardian angels.  

That verse isn't talking about children, but childlike believers.   It is talking about Christians.   Secondly, it is speaking in a corporate sense, not an individual/personal sense.   Jesus used a child  to illustrate a point about childlike faith.  He put a child on his lap as an object lesson.  He was not teaching that children have their own personal guardian angels.   That is an immature silly little tradition that is borne out of emotion and an immature interpretation of Scripture.  Children die all of the time from murder, abuse, illness, accidents, etc.  So much for "guardian" angels.

This passage is not teaching about personal guardian angels.  God's angels are always looking out for believers, generally.  They minister to us as God commands them, (Heb. 1:14) but they are not personally or emotionally vested in us.  They simply obey God.  

Guest shiloh357

What paganism does in reference to angels, is it gives angels redemptive attributes.  In paganism, angels are intermediaries that we pray to.  They stand between us and God.   Angels are viewed as healers,  guides, dispensers of wisdom (Touched by an Angel TV show), as protectors/guardians and so on.

This is a very pagan and Gnostic view of angels.  The ancient Gnostics prayed to angels because they were viewed as minor gods and one had to pray to them rather than praying God Himself.   That Gnostic tradition is still alive and well today.   People still pray to angels for protection.  Even the archangel Michael is regarded as a "saint." 

The modern preoccupation with angels is very, very much a pagan holdover from ancient times. 

This need to depend on angels is Satanic.    Satan is an angel and this false teaching about angels is meant to take the focus off of Jesus.  Jesus is our healer, not angels.  Jesus is our protector, not Michael.   Jesus is our guide and our source of wisdom, not angels.   Everything Jesus is supposed to be for us, people are foolishly looking to angels to provide.