Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.67
  • Days Won:  37

Im still chuckling over this thread. No where in his speech did he say anything about private gun ownership. The context of what he said was warfare amgonst nations. 

In the bible Jesus clearly states to sell your cloak and buy a sword  

Would Jesus be okay with his disciples buying swords from Roman sword makers that where going to use that money to invest in more weapons to be used to kill and persecute Christians?

But I wouldn't expect that to make it through the bias filter. Heck, so called "news articles" from fake news sites are posted and used to bash the Pope so I can't say I'm surprised. 

I know.

I would love for someone to show me where the Pope even used the word  "gun" let alone "private gun ownership."

That has to be the lamest argument I have seen on this board in quite some time.

So is that why no-one can show me where the pope used the word "gun" or  said anything about  "private gun ownership"  ?

Guest shiloh357

Im still chuckling over this thread. No where in his speech did he say anything about private gun ownership. The context of what he said was warfare amgonst nations. 

Would Jesus be okay with his disciples buying swords from Roman sword makers that where going to use that money to invest in more weapons to be used to kill and persecute Christians?

But I wouldn't expect that to make it through the bias filter. Heck, so called "news articles" from fake news sites are posted and used to bash the Pope so I can't say I'm surprised. 

I know.

I would love for someone to show me where the Pope even used the word  "gun" let alone "private gun ownership."

That has to be the lamest argument I have seen on this board in quite some time.

So is that why no-one can show me where the pope used the word "gun" or  said anything about  "private gun ownership"  ?

As I explained above, more than once,  guns ARE weapons of war.   We don't have to find where he mentioned guns.   He is defended by the most sophisticated weapons of war made today and that includes guns.   So trying to parse words like this is silly and really shows that you don't have a solid argument to make.

Your Pope is not just a heretic, but a hypocrite.   Just own up to it.

I know.

As I explained above, more than once,  guns ARE weapons of war.   We don't have to find where he mentioned guns.   He is defended by the most sophisticated weapons of war made today and that includes guns.   So trying to parse words like this is silly and really shows that you don't have a solid argument to make.

So

1) The entire quote of the Pope's words is about war

2) There is nowhere the Pope mentioned guns.

3)  Weapons were mentioned

1. only in a very general sense
  2. only in the context of war

and so include many other types of weapons including tanks, missiles, mortar, etc.

4) There is no mention of private gun ownership

Yet the pope said private citizens shouldn't own guns?

That's not  how logic works in the real world.

Edited by thereselittleflower

Guest shiloh357

I know.

So

1) The entire quote of the Pope's words are about war

2) There is nowhere the Pope mentioned guns.

3)  Weapons were mentioned

1. only in a very general sense
  2. only in the context of war

and so include many other types of weapons including tanks, missiles, mortar, etc.

4) There is no mention of private gun ownership

Yet the pope said private citizens shouldn't own guns?

That's not  how logic works in the real world.

This is not about logic.  It's about reading comprehension.   I am pointing to the Pope's hypocrisy in claiming to be against weapons of war, but of authorizing and allowing himself to be defended by an army that uses the very weapons of war he claims are immoral.     So my question is why is it wrong for those weapons of war to be made, but yet okay for his army to use those immoral weapons in his defense.    It is an internally inconsistent and hypocritical moral policy. 

That's all I am saying.

It doesn't seem like continuing to demonstrate such failure in logic as the media engaged in to incite and inflame, which has predictably been picked up by others, is going to do much good here.

Guest shiloh357

It doesn't seem like continuing to demonstrate such failure in logic as the media engaged in to incite and inflame, which has predictably been picked up by others, is going to do much good here.

There is no failure in logic at all.    You keep trying to respond to an issue I am not raising here.   The Pope condemns the very weapons he allows to be used for his defense.   Those weapons are only wrong when it's about someone else, but not about him.   It is textbook definition of being a hypocrite.

I think it is amusing watching you dance around that point.

Edited by shiloh357
Removed personal attack.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

The ones who heard his speech in turin sure thought he was telling them private gun ownership was immoral.

Guest Judas Machabeus

The ones who heard his speech in turin sure thought he was telling them private gun ownership was immoral.

how do you know this?? The context of the speech was nations waging war and those knowing making money off this. 

Guest Judas Machabeus

Here are the two paragraphs that are in question (paragraph 8 and 9):

And thank you, Sara, the theatre fan. Thank you. “I think of Jesus’ words: Give your life”. We have spoken about this now. “Often we have a sense of doubt in life”. Yes, because there are situations that make us think: “But, is it worthwhile to live like this? What can I expect from this life?” Let’s consider the wars in the world. A few times I have said that we are experiencing the Third World War, but piecemeal. Piecemeal: there is war in Europe, there is war in Africa, there is war in the Middle East, there is war in other countries.... But, can I have confidence in such a life? Can I trust world leaders? When I go to vote for a candidate, can I trust that he won’t lead my country into war? If you only trust in mankind, you have lost!

It makes me think one thing: people, leaders, entrepreneurs who call themselves Christians, and manufacture arms! This gives rise to some mistrust: they call themselves Christians! “No, no, Father, I don’t manufacture them, no, no.... I only have my savings, my investments in arms factories”. Ah! And why? “Because the interest is somewhat higher...”. And being two-faced is common currency today: saying something and doing another. Hypocrisy.... But we see what happened in the last century: in ’14, ’15, in ’15 in fact. There was that great tragedy in Armenia. So many died. I don’t know the figure: more than a million certainly. But where were the great powers of the time? They were looking the other way. Why? Because they were interested in war: their war! And those who died were people, second class human beings. Then, in the ’30s and ’40s the tragedy of the Shoah. The great powers had photographs of the railroads that took trains to the concentration camps, such as Auschwitz, to kill Jews, and also Christians, also Rom, also homosexuals, to kill them there. But tell me, why didn’t they bomb that? Interest! And shortly after, almost contemporaneously, there was the Russian Gulag, under Stalin.... How many Christians suffered, were killed! The great powers divided Europe among themselves like a cake. So many years had to pass before reaching a “certain” freedom. There is that hypocrisy of speaking of peace and producing arms, and even selling arms to this one who is at war with that one, and to that one who is at war with this one!

http://m.vatican.va/content/francescomobile/en/speeches/2015/june/documents/papa-francesco_20150621_torino-giovani.html

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Interesting. "hypocrisy of speaking of peace and producing arms,"

so speaking peace and making guns is hyprocrisy, but speaking against arms makers while using arms for protection is not?  It is interesting how long a subject is danced around, yet not met head on.