oak

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I am starting to work for the mentally and emotional ill and I found and interesting spiritual parallel at play. The key to this field or perhaps any field is to find patterns of behavior that either benefit or hurt a person. One of the most important ones is achievement. We have to grow and overcome those things that hold us back or reach for higher standards and responsibility. That’s pretty standard for any life.

However, working with mentally emotionally struggling you see deceptive thinking that undermines their goal to get better. So my focus is how they see achievement and to my sadness, I find that people in general suffer from the same deception.

How we see finish lines or progress whether they be graduations, financial goals or overcoming bad situations is a key to sound mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health. People who are ill want to get better for the most part very quickly and successfully. Unfortunately, for the most part whether it’s becoming OSAS, employed, married etc., it has to be done in a way that is accepting of it being a lifelong issue.

Let me be more specific. What I hear is, “I got married and felt that everything would be made well…” or “I got a job and moved out and I felt nothing changed.” The comprehension of the award or goal is flawed because the expectations are too high and the discipline and responsible commitment to it are not evident. Once you achieve anything it takes a lot of nurturing to see growth and improvement. Finishing lines are great but what you do after is a more lasting concern.

Let’s look at this spiritually. A person may find Christ as a Savior of his soul, but the experience is a beginning. This moment may come with great emotional joy but it’s only a beginning as well. The fact is you have to lose yourself to Christ, your ego, to gain Christ within yourself. “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” Matt 11:39 This is a lifelong struggle. Don’t be fooled, even to heal an addiction or illness takes a lot of denying yourself “pleasures.” The more so with faith.

Oak

P.S. I have been gone for over a year due to a family member who practices Satanism,  trouble with identity theft and computer hacking. Hopefully, I'm back for a prolonged stay.               

Edited by oak
grammatical and spelling issues

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I am starting to work for the mentally and emotional ill. And I found and interesting spiritual parallel at play. The key to this field or perhaps any field is to find patterns of behavior hat either benefit or hurt a person. One of the most important ones is achievement. We have to grow and overcome those things that hold us back or reach for higher standards and responsibility. That’s pretty standard for any life.

However, working with mentally emotionally struggling you see deceptive thinking that undermines their goal to get better. So my focus is how they see achievement and to my sadness, I find that people in general suffer from the same deception.

How we see finish lines or progress whether they be graduations, financial goals or overcoming bad situations is a key to sound mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health. People who are ill want to get better for the most part very quickly and successfully. Unfortunately, for the most part whether it’s becoming OSAS, employed, married etc., it has to be done in a way that is accepting of it being a lifelong issue.

Let me be more specific. What I hear is, “I got married and felt that everything would be made well…” or “I got a job and moved out and I felt nothing changed.” The comprehension of the award or goal is flawed because the expectations are too high and the discipline and responsible commitment to it are not evident. Once you achieve anything it takes a lot of nurturing to see growth and improvement. Finishing lines are great but what you do after is a more lasting concern.

Let’s look at this spiritually. A person may find Christ as a Savior of his soul, but the experience is a beginning. This moment may come with great emotional joy but it’s only a beginning as well. The fact is you have to lose yourself to Christ, your ego, to gain Christ within yourself. “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” Matt 11:39 This is a lifelong struggle. Don’t be fooled, even to heal an addiction or illness takes a lot of denying yourself “pleasures.” The more so with faith.

Oak

P.S. I have been gone for over a year due to a family member who practices Satanism,  trouble with identity theft and computer hacking. Hopefully I'm back for a prolonged stay.               

I hope you are back for a prolonged stay as well :).I have found that there is a very large percentage of people who have an alcohol or drug addiction who are self medicating themselves because underneath that addiction is an illness.Have you found that?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

Goal setting may be the key to moving forward, whether for those who are mentally sound or those who are not. Daily, weekly, and monthly goals which are not too difficult, followed by small rewards for achieving those goals, could help a person persevere until they do not need such assistance. Also there are innocent pleasures as well as sinful pleasures, and we need to distinguish between the two.

It is all about taking a day at a time with the Lord.He is with you each and every step of the way.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  2

A very insightful post, Oak, 

So achievement depends on following through with the aim or goal, which many either don't do or are unable to do. I can see how the lack of discipline is a cause, but I'm sure you also understand that there are other issues which hold a person back from doing things that bring self worth, and personal empowerment to be able to follow through. 

As you have said "deceptive thinking that undermines their goal to get better." You have touched on the very point which I believe Christ wants His people to be aware of, in order that His work may be completed for us. 

The thought of a life long process, with diligence, can seem very daunting, but as Bopeep said, it is a step by step, daily thing, the Lord enabling us as we walk.

I'd like to hear more from you on these issues and the practical applications of challenging deceptive thinking in our lives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I am starting to work for the mentally and emotional ill and I found and interesting spiritual parallel at play. The key to this field or perhaps any field is to find patterns of behavior that either benefit or hurt a person. One of the most important ones is achievement. We have to grow and overcome those things that hold us back or reach for higher standards and responsibility. That’s pretty standard for any life.

Oak

P.S. I have been gone for over a year due to a family member who practices Satanism,  trouble with identity theft and computer hacking. Hopefully, I'm back for a prolonged stay.               

It's good to have you back Oak. In reality everything in our walk with Christ is about denying ourselves.  Other wise we cannot focus on Him fully, and until we do the healing will never come. Until we turn over everything, and I mean everything over to our Savior,  people will still have to depend  on medications, therapy, and will live in torment.  The enemy counts on that.  It's not a complicated question, it's just all about holding on to the truth, and that truth is Jesus.  Stop looking at the problem and look to the One who solves our problems.  The war has already been won for us now all we  have to do is claim the victory.

Edited by RustyAngeL

I am starting to work for the mentally and emotional ill. And I found and interesting spiritual parallel at play. The key to this field or perhaps any field is to find patterns of behavior hat either benefit or hurt a person. One of the most important ones is achievement. We have to grow and overcome those things that hold us back or reach for higher standards and responsibility. That’s pretty standard for any life.

Oak

P.S. I have been gone for over a year due to a family member who practices Satanism,  trouble with identity theft and computer hacking. Hopefully I'm back for a prolonged stay.               

I hope you are back for a prolonged stay as well :).I have found that there is a very large percentage of people who have an alcohol or drug addiction who are self medicating themselves because underneath that addiction is an illness.Have you found that?

Yes, that is true. The addiction is a surface result of trying to numb emotional pain.

Goal setting may be the key to moving forward, whether for those who are mentally sound or those who are not. Daily, weekly, and monthly goals which are not too difficult, followed by small rewards for achieving those goals, could help a person persevere until they do not need such assistance. Also there are innocent pleasures as well as sinful pleasures, and we need to distinguish between the two.

If your dealing with a person who has been abused as a child - goals are near impossible. Yes I believe structure is important and I believe in goal setting.  The answers are many and all of them can be used. But I'm talking about it being a journey rather a one stop destination. I'm well aware of pleasures that are good for the soul. Another point is assistance is always needed - when do you stop asking Christ to guide you? In mentally / emotionally and addictive people it's building on coping skills till they become stronger than bad cravings and then you keep on building. The one's that are looking for an easier way miss the narrow path that leads to healing or salvation.

Oak

Yes, that is true. The addiction is a surface result of trying to numb emotional pain.

I am glad to see your reply :).

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.71
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Oak

Welcome back, Oak!

God Bless you.

Your brother in Christ,

KPaulG.