• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

At the beginning of Epistles, the apostles great the readers with such words as 'May mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you.' Jude 1:2

Ok, here is my question:

Does this really affect the people it is addressed to?  Are ALL these believers going to get an extra measure of mercy, get more peace, and more love?  Is that prayer from a righteous saint that can avail much? (James 5:16) what if the person is in a state of disobedience at the time. Will God still bless THEM? Do you think these words actually have an impact on the readers?  Obviously there was a point to saying that then I suppose. ' Without any dispute, the lesser is blessed by the greater.'( Hebrews 7:7) So the apostles were greater of course.  

I always give a second thought when I read those.  I assume the writer prayed that as he wrote it. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Hi Pam, 

To me, the first word "May" suggests that these openings are prayers to the recipients. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

At the beginning of Epistles, the apostles great the readers with such words as 'May mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you.' Jude 1:2

Ok, here is my question:

Does this really affect the people it is addressed to?  Are ALL these believers going to get an extra measure of mercy, get more peace, and more love?  Is that prayer from a righteous saint that can avail much? (James 5:16) what if the person is in a state of disobedience at the time. Will God still bless THEM? Do you think these words actually have an impact on the readers?  Obviously there was a point to saying that then I suppose. ' Without any dispute, the lesser is blessed by the greater.'( Hebrews 7:7) So the apostles were greater of course.  

I always give a second thought when I read those.  I assume the writer prayed that as he wrote it. 

I thing this is more of an instruction, that they should wach themselfs and see where they are, and more than that, that they should be merciful to others, and that their thoughts should be about how to treat the others with mercy and love the way Jesus treat people who did not deserved mercy, (like the woman, who everyone had judge (even thought rightfully), and Jesus show her mercy and she felt the love Jesus was radiating, and In this example we see that for their rightfull reasons the people seek to find peace within themselves and with God by obeying the instructions of their religious guidelines. They were trying to do the will of God in their Land, so they will be bless. 

but that was their way of living in the  their land that time.

The disciple is trying to guide them to renew their ways and treat others, even themselves in the love and mercy of Jesus.

that they had received Mercy and Love from God and they also should be like minded.

and to have their peace not by doing judgement, the way they were used to and they got their peace by practicing revence, or an eye against an eye, but rather by forgiving And offering guidance and support to those who need it, and helping them in their walk in this complex world. 

Like Jesus who said that the needy need him the most and he never holds back his love from them, even thought we don't want him, but he is truth to himself and he is offering special care to them, like the lost sheep, it is not that he went after the lost sheep, but for a time he left the others, because they knew how to take care of themselves and wait for him. 

Of course Jesus is there to help us to grow out of our selfs and grow in him. And prayer in this deraction does help. Thank you for posting, that is a good reminder for my self. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

These were greetings to the people they were written. Just as we used to say in years gone by...Greetings to you Mary, John, and your children Jane and Tom. Ann and I greet all of you in Jesus name. Today it's Hi. And we launch into our note. I have seen many letters from the pre computer days when letters with envelopes and stamps were sent very formally written...not business but to family.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it is a priestly blessing. Just like the Aaronic blessing, the Apostle as a member of the royal priesthood gives a blessing to the recipients of his instruction.

Edited by Joline