• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi mabel,

Great to hear from you & that you are being encouraged by everyone here. Now we are all praying for you as you do this retreat. Seems like the right timing for the next part of your journey in the Lord to get to know Him better.

All the best, Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

hello Marilyn

haven't managed to phone up as yet to book it.

meanwhile continuing to look at Mark

i wonder how Jesus managed to live among fallen man and not get tarnished. i guess that is way he needed to go away out in lonely places. to keep connected with the Father.

the people it seems had very little if any internal spiritual connection. they followed Jesus for what he was doing and not who he was. in fact they just couldn't grasp that. i don't think that i could either. when you live in a fallen world life has conditioned you to such an extent that you are unable to be receptive to a higher calling.

Jesus' family did not understand and wanted to take charge of him. and they of all people had the inside knowledge as to who Jesus was.

Jesus invites people to listen and look but they are unable to because of all the cares and  worries of the world. their focus is consumed by this. no different today. we try to work it out and do it ourselves as that is what society expects you to do. and if you cant there is the increasing volume of new age fix its.

interesting that it says that, he told them all that they could understand, which was not much. Jesus needed to live it and not just talk it.

why did Jesus expect the disciples to understand and grasp deep spiritual truths? i mean who could then as now. for all our "sophistication"

Jesus could see that the people were stubborn and wrong and he must have known that they would never ever really "get it" so why the big commission? when mankind would not understand it anyway. yes a few like the disciples did. i think about today and how sick society is. what difference did Jesus make to the collective psyche of mankind? o yes people will say that it is ordained that Armageddon is going to happen so what is the point? where is free will? and free will to what? what a poisoned chalice that is.

mabel

Guest Thallasa
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:37 PM, existential mabel said:

Willa gosh. Believe is such a loaded word for me. I believed in Father Christmas and fairies once…yes I do have a bible many in fact.

This seems all academic to me I just can’t get beyond this and into believing and trusting. Living in a fallen world and being a sinner has weighed me down and I just can’t break through a wet paper bag let alone biblical truths.

The best that I have been able to do is to STOP watching the TV and listening to the media…

Well the LORD is supposed to have patience and then I came into the world!

:6:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Hi mabel,

You write very well sis. You have made some very insightful observations plus you have asked some very, very important questions. I have to go out today but will get back to you soon.

Great chatting with you, Marilyn.

0k thanks Marilyn. off to bed soon. although it is later than usual! :emot-sleepyhead:

Hi mabel,

It is really good to read along with you in the Book of Mark & hear your insightful comments. Now you have raised some very good questions which really cover all of God`s purposes for – Israel, the Body of Christ & the Nations, (people in general). A huge topic & I will try & make it as simple & straightforward. (You are testing me here.)

ISRAEL

So let`s start with them. You know that God made this nation from Abraham, (Isaac, & Jacob`s line) for them to rule the world righteously under God. That is what the OT scriptures promised them. When Jesus came He reminded them of these promises by parables. However as you saw clearly that they did not understand who He was, as they were expecting a great conqueror to come & deliver them from the Romans. They wanted an earthly leader. (same as today, ay.)

God gave Israel His words with promises, & they just had to obey them. But God knows the human heart & even when shown mighty miracles, most hearts were still selfish. There were individuals who cried out - `Help my unbelief,` or `Forgive me I am a sinner.`  That generation missed out but individuals turned to God. This is always the case.

Israel will eventually turn to the Lord when He comes & delivers them from the world`s armies. Why wait so long? I can hear you say. Well God has great purposes He is accomplishing & in every life there is always opportunity to turn to God.

I`ll leave the other 2 groups (the Body of Christ & the Nations) to give you time to reply to those thoughts.

Marilyn.

Hi mable,

You asked - `why did Jesus expect the disciples to understand and grasp deep spiritual truths?`

Actually Jesus was only expecting the disciples to listen to His words,, see the miracles, & walk with Him in everyday life. They knew & believed God but to accept that God` s Son would come to earth as a man was way out of their (& other`s ) comfy zone. Much too personal, up close & if you know what I mean.

They knew the Law & there were the Pharisees saying they obeyed it all. Then along comes Jesus & says that it is the heart that God is seeking, not just all the outward things. I`m sure that went down well. Well as we know they tried & succeeded in getting rid of Him for just that. `Oh you have to obey our power & control…blah, blah.`

But Jesus showed God`s real heart – `God so loved….`  

Jesus was only wanting the disciples to see that He was God`s Son & later by the Holy Spirit they would grow in understanding more `deeper spiritual truths.`

Marilyn.

8 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mable,

You asked - `why did Jesus expect the disciples to understand and grasp deep spiritual truths?`

Actually Jesus was only expecting the disciples to listen to His words,, see the miracles, & walk with Him in everyday life. They knew & believed God but to accept that God` s Son would come to earth as a man was way out of their (& other`s ) comfy zone. Much too personal, up close & if you know what I mean.

They knew the Law & there were the Pharisees saying they obeyed it all. Then along comes Jesus & says that it is the heart that God is seeking, not just all the outward things. I`m sure that went down well. Well as we know they tried & succeeded in getting rid of Him for just that. `Oh you have to obey our power & control…blah, blah.`

Jesus was only wanting the disciples to see that He was God`s Son & later by the Holy Spirit they would grow in understanding more `deeper spiritual truths.`

Marilyn.

hello Marilyn

Actually Jesus was only expecting the disciples to listen to His words,, see the miracles, & walk with Him in everyday life

yes but in chapter 7 Jesus said, "

18“You are no more intelligent than the others,” Jesus said to them. “Don't you understand? and in chapter 8 he said, "

Don't you know or understand yet? Are your minds so dull? and also, " 21“And you still don't understand?” he asked them.

Then along comes Jesus & says that it is the heart that God is seeking, not just all the outward things

yes and that is what i find confusing. does that mean that God got it wrong in the ot? or did man interpret what God meant incorrectly?

ah yes that is so good that He did. but today if you want to find that you have to come out of the church to find it. me i am reading the bible.

s0 mission accomplished then regarding the disciples. but of the rest of mankind? the church has stepped right into the middle of this ...

thanks mabel

Hi mabel,

Then along comes Jesus & says that it is the heart that God is seeking, not just all the outward things

You said - yes and that is what i find confusing. does that mean that God got it wrong in the ot? or did man interpret what God meant incorrectly?

Very good question as it brings out God`s heart, His motive. Jesus was reminding the people that is was the heart, that God is seeking & that it was written in God`s word.

`For you do not desire sacrifice or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken & a contrite heart – these, O God, you will not despise.` (Ps. 51: 16 & 17)

Israel had the OT scriptures but had come under the control & power of the leaders who lorded it over them, making out God was harsh & expected them to do this & that & the other.

God (in the desert time) had desired that Israel would come to Him as Moses did, but they did not want to come close. Thus God gave them the law & all its requirements to reveal to them their sinfulness & need of God. Galatians tells us that the Law was added later, only as `school master` to lead to Christ. (Gal. 3: 6, 24)

And we see that even the disciples took a long time to understand this, that the Law was an added & not something they or we could ever fulfil. (Gal. 2: 11 – 14)

I really appreciate the way you think & ask questions, mabel. I will reply to your other comment later. Marilyn.

On 07/03/2016 at 6:56 AM, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

It is really good to read along with you in the Book of Mark & hear your insightful comments. Now you have raised some very good questions which really cover all of God`s purposes for – Israel, the Body of Christ & the Nations, (people in general). A huge topic & I will try & make it as simple & straightforward. (You are testing me here.)

ISRAEL

So let`s start with them. You know that God made this nation from Abraham, (Isaac, & Jacob`s line) for them to rule the world righteously under God. That is what the OT scriptures promised them. When Jesus came He reminded them of these promises by parables. However as you saw clearly that they did not understand who He was, as they were expecting a great conqueror to come & deliver them from the Romans. They wanted an earthly leader. (same as today, ay.)

God gave Israel His words with promises, & they just had to obey them. But God knows the human heart & even when shown mighty miracles, most hearts were still selfish. There were individuals who cried out - `Help my unbelief,` or `Forgive me I am a sinner.`  That generation missed out but individuals turned to God. This is always the case.

Israel will eventually turn to the Lord when He comes & delivers them from the world`s armies. Why wait so long? I can hear you say. Well God has great purposes He is accomplishing & in every life there is always opportunity to turn to God.

I`ll leave the other 2 groups (the Body of Christ & the Nations) to give you time to reply to those thoughts.

Marilyn.

hello Marilyn thanks for taking the time to explain things.
the people of Israel. i cant help but think they had 400 years in captivity. and so any connection with God was bred out of them.

why did God choose this fate for Israel? when both Isaac and Jacob were faithful and also Joseph m0re than made up for any spiritual errors.  they had good credit scoring, if you will, with God.

life as a slave had dulled their mind and hearts. they had gotten "used" to trial and hardship. and stepping out of that was more of a leap of faith. a totally new blueprint.

thanks

Mabel