• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, thereselittleflower said:

Then you're completely contradicting yourself, by definition.

By definition you cannot believe in God and not ascribe to religion.

Your belief in God IS your religion.

3 minutes ago, Floatingaxe said:

Yes, I do, and I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. I do not ascribe to religion.

Amen sister Float, I have a relationship with Jesus too! Glory Hallelujah

Glory hallelujah, I shall not be moved
Anchored in Jehovah, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters
I shall not be moved

In His love abiding, I shall not be moved
And in Him confiding, I shall not be moved
Just like the tree that's planted by the water
I shall not be moved

I shall not be, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's planted by the water
I shall not be moved

Though all hell assail me, I shall not be moved
Jesus will not fail me, I shall not be moved
I shall not be moved

Though the tempest rages, I shall not be moved
On the rock of ages, I shall not be moved
I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

I shall not be moved

Someday dear Floating , your axe will float and we sing praises to our Lord together!

7 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

Dear Theresa our believe is our relationship with Jesus, the word religion means nothing..

33 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

I would not presume to judge if most of any group that names the name of Christ are not born again.  That is a highly presumptuous thing to do and requires one knows the depths of another's heart.

If the religion you're asking about doesn't even believe in Christ, then what is different about asking about the  Rasatafarians as opposed to the Buddhists or the Hindus?

Nothing. I just answered the OP by saying that some may be, one cannot know for sure if any are or not.

10 minutes ago, Davida said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/rastafari/beliefs/beliefs_1.shtml

Rastafarian beliefs

There is no formal Rastafari creed and there are slight differences in the views of different groups.

The most definitive list is found in the 1977 book The Rastafarians, The Dreadlocks of Jamaica by scholar Leonard Barrett who lists what he regards as the six basic principles of Rastafari. He developed the list by attending public meetings and through anthropological research into the movement.

1. Haile Selassie I is the Living God
  2. The Black person is the reincarnation of ancient Israel, who, at the hand of the White person, has been in exile in Jamaica
  3. The White person is inferior to the Black person
  4. Jamaica is hell; Ethiopia is heaven
  5. The Invincible Emperor of Ethiopia is now arranging for expatriated persons of African origin to return to Ethiopia
  6. In the near future Blacks shall rule the world

But Leonard Barrett's list is itself about thirty years old and so many of the beliefs above may no longer have the same significance to modern Rastafarians. This is especially true since the spread of the movement to the West which has led to the emergence of White Rastafarians.

Early beliefs

The basic tenets of early Rastafari, according to preacher Leonard Howell, included some very strong statements about racial issues, as might be expected in the religion of an oppressed people living in exile:

1. Hatred of Whites
  2. Superiority of Blacks
    • Blacks are God's chosen people
    • Blacks will soon rule the world
  3. Revenge on Whites for their wickedness
    • Whites will become the servants of Blacks
  4. The negation, persecution and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica
  5. Repatriation: Haile Selassie will lead Blacks back to Africa
  6. Acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as God, and the ruler of Black people

Modern Rastafarian beliefs

Modern Rastafarian beliefs

From the 1930s until the mid 1970s most Rastafarians accepted the traditional Rastafari beliefs.

But in 1973 Joseph Owens published a more modern approach to Rastafari beliefs. In 1991 Michael N. Jagessar revised Owens's ideas, devising his own systematic approach to Rastafari theology and providing an insight into the changes in the group's beliefs.

The key ideas in contemporary Rastafari are:

• The humanity of God and the divinity of man
    • This refers to the importance of Haile Selassie who is perceived by Rastafarians as a living God. Likewise it emphasises the concept of God revealing himself to his followers through his humanity.
  • God is found within every man
    • Rastafarians believe that God makes himself known through humanity. According to Jagessar "there must be one man in whom he exists most eminently and completely, and that is the supreme man, Rastafari, Selassie I."
  • God in history
    • It is very important to see all historical facts in the context of God's judgement and workings.
  • Salvation on earth
    • Salvation for Rastafarians is an earthly idea, rather than heavenly.
  • The supremacy of life
    • Human nature is very important to Rastafarians and they should preserve and protect it.
  • Respect for nature
    • This idea refers to the importance and respect Rastafarians have for animals and the environment, as mirrored in their food laws.
  • The power of speech
    • Speech is very important to Rastafarians, as it enables the presence and power of God to be felt.
  • Evil is corporate
    • Sin is both personal and corporate. This means organisations such as the International Monetary Fund are responsible for Jamaica's fiscal situation, and that oppression is in part influenced by them.
  • Judgement is near
    • This corresponds to the nearness of judgement for Rastafarians when they will be given greater recognition.
  • The priesthood of Rastafarians
    • Rastafarians are the chosen people of God and are on earth to promote his power and peacefulness.

(Joseph Owens The Rastafarians of Jamaica, 1973 pp. 167-70 and Jagessar, JPIC and Rastafarians, 1991 pp. 15-17.)

To modern Rastafari the most important doctrine is belief in the divinity of Haile Selassie I. Although some Rastafarians still regard Haile Selassie as the black messiah, many modern adherents do not see this as central to their faith.

Haile Selassie's death in 1975 was described by his followers as his 'disappearance', since they refused to believe he has passed away. Following his death and the increased acceptance of Jamaican culture in society many Rastafarian beliefs have been modified.

According to Nathaniel Samuel Murrell:

...brethren have reinterpreted the doctrine of repatriation as voluntary migration to Africa, returning to Africa culturally and symbolically, or rejecting Western values and preserving African roots and black pride.

Nathaniel Samuel Murrell in 'Chanting Down Babylon', 1998, page 6.

The previous belief that white people are evil has diminished and is no longer central to Rastafarian belief systems.

The idea of Babylon has also developed to represent all oppressive organisations and countries in the world.

A Tree and its Fruit
15"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?… Matth 7:15

There are many things I disagree with TLF over, but she is right about Christianity being a religion.  Look up the word in a Concordance.  It speaks of true religion in the Bible as a good thing, and is clearly speaking of Christianity.  Accepting a proven fact doesn't diminish anything.  It is foolish to deny something so obvious. 

13 minutes ago, Butero said:

The Pope said Trump was not a real Christian because he believes in building a fence and not bridges.  I also hear he is suggesting that gay marriage might be acceptable and birth control in some instances.  There is something wrong here. 

18 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

So you're both telling me you don't worship God?   You don't believe in God?

• re·li·gion
    rəˈlijən/
    noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Really?

If God is personal, that requires a relationship, right?

For  me Theresa religion is just a word..

Just now, Rick_Parker said:

How can a member of the RCC be saved? They may hold to "saved by faith alone" and still be a member of the RCC. Wouldn't the same hold true for anyone who holds on to something because of culture or tradition? We are saved by what we believe, not by how we behave.

These people are total pagans.  They don't even worship the same God in pretense. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

16 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

No contradiction, whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Floatingaxe said:

You'll need to prove that. Jesus Himself spoke out against the religious. We know that knowing Jesus involves us in an intimate relationship, a family tie, as God is all about family. So, religion just doesn't fit in...and rightly so.

The word religion reminds me of the Pharrisees...