Christianity and Cults Throughout History

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

God bless you Kwik.  We are definitely on the same page, and if you see me straying, yank be back on course.     Saved.One.by.Grace

For sure,,,,& for me as well,you too Brother ,"yank away",we are accountable & responsible for each other,,,,,,,,,,,ALWAYS!!!!  

I think there is an overemphasis on spiritual gifts with some claiming spiritual gifts they do not have.  I definitely believe there are some ministers in the movement to stay away from, and I'll leave it there for now.

Agreed,,,,,(isn't that a surprise! lol)     I too well leave that there ,especially that there are some very very good preachers in that particular Ministry,,,,,,,,,I would never want to be-grudge them that,Spirit Filled Jesus Lovin preachers!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.97
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

For sure,,,,& for me as well,you too Brother ,"yank away",we are accountable & responsible for each other,,,,,,,,,,,ALWAYS!!!! 

Agreed,,,,,(isn't that a surprise! lol)     I too well leave that there ,especially that there are some very very good preachers in that particular Ministry,,,,,,,,,I would never want to be-grudge them that,Spirit Filled Jesus Lovin preachers!!!

Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the top ten cults in the U.S.?

If you truly want to make someone look bad these days, call the group or church to which they belong a cult! Instantly, that person or group is identified with David Koresh and the Branch Davidians, Jim Jones and the People's Temple, or Marshall Applewhite and Heaven's Gate—a few of the most notorious and contemporary examples of destructive “cults” in America.

The word cult creates a great amount of confusion for many religious and non-religious people. Some would define a cult as “any group of wackos who take religion more seriously than I do.”

But what is a “cult” really?

I would contend that the term cult should be reserved for only the most recognizably destructive groups—from both a Christian and non-Christian perspective.

From the Christian point of view, there are two very important considerations in identifying a destructive or unhealthy group.

First, there is the theological consideration. How consistent are the group's beliefs with the basic tenets of the historic Christian faith? This evaluates the eternal significance of such beliefs.

Second, there is the social-psychological consideration. How are power, authority, and control exercised in the group? This evaluates techniques of manipulation and mind control.

A group may be deficient in one or both areas and thereby be considered an unhealthy and/or destructive group from a Christian perspective.

The following are the ten most dangerous groups in America today, based on one or both of the above stated concerns:

1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormonism).
    A very subtle, spiritual deception started in 1830 by Joseph Smith. This aggressively evangelistic group contends that it is the only true Church, and that all Christians outside Mormonism are following a deficient Gospel and a false Christ.

2. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses).
    Militantly anti-historic Christian tenets. This group began in the 1870s with Charles Taze Russell. They not only deny the essentials of the Christian faith, but the control exercised over the membership is highly destructive.

3. The Church of Scientology.
    A do-it-yourself salvation, science fiction group that masquerades as the true Church, lightly sprayed with a thin veneer of Christianity. Seeks to destroy through litigation and character assassination those who speak out against the group.

4. The Twelve Tribes.
    This group began in the early 1970s with Elbert Eugene Spriggs. They claim that salvation can only be found by giving all possessions to them and living in their community. All personal decision-making power is given over to the leadership.

5. The Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity (Unification Church).
    Founded in 1954 by Sun Myung Moon, this highly authoritarian and destructive group teaches that Jesus failed on the cross. Moon is now the mediator between God and man.

6. The International Churches of Christ (Boston Movement).
    This highly evangelistic group which began in 1978 with Kip McKean embraces most of the main tenets of the historic Church. Teaches that it is the only true Church and is highly authoritarian, with immense control over members' lives.

7. The Family (Children of God).
    This communal group was founded by David “Moses” Berg. A strange mixture of basic Christian tenets and almost total sexual license. Very controlling and manipulative.

8. Christian Identity Movement (Aryan Nations, Christian Identity Church, Klu Klux Klan, etc.).
    A loose-knit confederation of various small groups that are militantly anti-government and conspiracy driven. Each group holds differing, deviant Christian tenets. All hold to Caucasians being the descendants of the ten “lost” Tribes of Israel, God's true people.

9. The Nation of Islam (Black Muslims).
    Began in 1930s by W. D. Fard. Group teaches that the black man is good, the white man is the devil, and that Jesus was merely a prophet. Highly controlling group.

10. United Pentecostal Church (UPC).
    A highly controlling, legalistic group that was formed in 1945. This group denies the Trinity and teaches that in order to be saved one must be baptized in the name of Jesus only.

Source: Top Ten Cults

I remember seeing a 20-20 TV Special segment on the Christian Identity Movement some years ago.  You could cut the hate in the atmosphere with a knife.  They even had their hate speech set to rock music with live bands playing it.  I'd never see anything like it and it was very upsetting to watch.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

Christianity itself could be considered a cult of the Jewish religion. 

6 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Christianity itself could be considered a cult of the Jewish religion. 

Only from a Jewish perspective, I believe, since they do not recognize the New Testament.

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Cults arise from [orthodoxy] that has usurped God's sole right to interpret his own word and thus created error. Cult builders exploit the error to get others to forsake [orthodoxy] and follow them.

Walter Martin (the original Bible Answer Man) repeated theologian A.K. Balan that the cults are the unpaid bills of the Church.

When I have pointed out the errors of all denominations (including Messianics) I have been accused of being a Catholic Basher, a Church crusher, and an antisemite. Funniest of all is being accused of cultism. My only objective was to lead strays back to the Holy Spirit interpreted Bible and turning them all loose there. 

This is what cultists could never do. They wanted people to follow [them] not the Holy Spirit.

This is what human traditionalists within the Church did as well. Follow them and their tradition based on human interpolation of scripture.

God's way is only way.

Diversity are all the avenues to hell.

So it's God's way or no way.

This is usually where the subterfuge begins about me and my interpretation of things... and I blink, scratch my head and say "Did you not see I just wrote 'God's' way not 'Johnd's' way...?" But I am lambasted anyway as though I had.

Bottom line: don't expect truth and fact to win any arguments with most. Cutting to the root of the problem: namely mankind wants to be God or better yet, they want to tell God how to be. Problem for them: the opposite is true. But most will never face this or figure it out.

My philosophy is simple. Never try to outdo an Omnipotent Omniscient Being in any way shape or form.

You want to solve Calvinism v Arminianism put the omniscience of God in the middle of it.

You want to know what the Bible means, let God do the 'splaining ( 2 Peter 1:20-21 / John 16:13 / 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Why is earth here? I can't single out any particular scripture but from the whole of scripture I get the strong impression this entire universe was created to resolve the sin problem that began in the spiritual realm. At the center of it (its purpose) is this one world which is a stage set between the two eternal destines (heaven / hell) to sustain human life (hybrids of physical and spiritual) to enable us to choose which eternal destiny we end up in.

Being hybrids, we can die (physically) and yet live on (spiritually) / live again (in resurrection) keeping intact God's decree the soul that sins shall die. This affords the human hybrid the ability to be redeemed. Angels cannot be redeemed. They are already in their eternal state. To fall from there is to fall forever. And IMHO that is what the accuser accused God of being unjust / unfair over. This physical realm was created to prove just how fair and just God is. Remember in John 17 Jesus (the lone Creator see Isaiah 44:24) prayed for the restoration of the glory he had with the Father before the world was...

This was all at great personal cost to Jesus (the Word Incarnate) as he became a hybrid himself (God and man) for all eternity to come. And he was reviled by most human beings who ever lived. He was rejected by his own people and turned over to the Romans to be beaten to within an inch of his life and nailed to a cross like a pelt to pay for being the Creator of a fallen creation. Just to give us the choice to choose life.  

Biblical Apologetics is best summed up as taking God at his word and rejecting all else.

Cults missing from the above list should include: Masonry, Freemasonry, Rosicrucianism, and the Illuminati.

Freemasonry and the Illuminati: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_illuminati_20.htm

Rosicrucianism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosicrucianism

Masonry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry

Freemasonry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

Illuminati: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati