IGNORED

How do you think, Pilate's wife to asked for Barabbas or Jesus?

Ogner

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 27:19,20, "When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.
But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus."

20 verse: Οἱ δὲ (But or also?) ἀρχιερεῖς (the chief priests) καὶ (and) οἱ πρεσβύτεροι (elders) ἔπεισαν (persuaded) τοὺς ὄχλους (the multitude) ἵνα (that) αἰτήσωνται (ask) τὸν Βαραββᾶν (Barabbas) τὸν δὲ (contrariwise) ’Ιησοῦν (Jesus) ἀπολέσωσιν (destroy). 

The Greek word "δὲ" can be translated to English as: and, but, also, plus the fact, on top of, plus this way...

l don't know who and why chose the word "but". Why not the word "also"? If this word is translated as "but". Somebody might get the idea that Pilate's wife to asked for Jesus.
If this word is translated as "also". Somebody might get the idea that Pilate's wife to asked for Barabbas.

I don't know Pilate's wife. And I don't know how thoughts run of she.

How can we prove that Pilate's wife to asked for Jesus? 

Edited by Ogner

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,174
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The common sense of the passage is Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus.... as she saw Him in as a just man! Asking for Barabbas
was in fact sending Jesus to the cross! The first rule of hermeneutics if the plain sense makes sense seek no other sense...
Love, Steven 

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

The common sense of the passage is Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus.... as she saw Him in as a just man! Asking for Barabbas
was in fact sending Jesus to the cross! The first rule of hermeneutics if the plain sense makes sense seek no other sense...
Love, Steven 

I don't understand why do you believe that Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus? 

Just now, Ogner said:

I don't understand why do you believe that Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus? 

Do you wish to harm 'just' (as in upright and good) men?

3 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

Do you wish to harm 'just' (as in upright and good) men?

I don't understand you.

Mt 1:19
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
KJV
Mt 27:19
19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.
KJV
Mk 6:20
20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.
KJV
Ac 10:22
22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
KJV

This is what Pilot's wife meant about Jesus saying " Have thou nothing to do with that just man:"
Now back to the question I asked you do you wish to condemn just men? So the answer is she did
not wish to condemn Jesus... Her asking for Barabbas was condemning Jesus to the cross... that is
why the 'but' is there the Pharisees did wish to condemn Jesus to the cross...
Love, Steven

3 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

Mt 1:19
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
KJV
Mt 27:19
19 When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.
KJV
Mk 6:20
20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.
KJV
Ac 10:22
22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
KJV

This is what Pilot's wife meant about Jesus saying " Have thou nothing to do with that just man:"
Now back to the question I asked you do you wish to condemn just men? So the answer is she did
not either wish to condemn Jesus... Her asking for Barabbas was condemning Jesus to the cross...
Love, Steven

I don't understand why do you believe that Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus and what you're asking.

Just now, Ogner said:

I don't understand why do you believe that Pilates wife wanted no harm for Jesus and what you're asking.

because she saw Jesus as a just man...

At what point did she send unto Pilate, saying, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him." ? 

When chief priests and elders of the people had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor, at this point did she send unto Pilate?
No! But why? I mean, what'd she wait?

She sent unto Pilate at this point when he said unto them, "Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?". 

Why did she not say to Pilate immediately,  at this point when hief priests and elders of the people delivered Jesus to Pontius?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

1 hour ago, Ogner said:

At what point did she send unto Pilate, saying, "Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him." ? 

When chief priests and elders of the people had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor, at this point did she send unto Pilate?
No! But why? I mean, what'd she wait?

She sent unto Pilate at this point when he said unto them, "Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?". 

Why did she not say to Pilate immediately,  at this point when hief priests and elders of the people delivered Jesus to Pontius?

Pilate was addressing the mob who wanted to crucify Jesus who was not guilty of any crimes he was an innocent man.  It was at this point when Pilate was addressing the mob asking who they wanted to be released to them either Barrabas who was a known criminal or Jesus who was not guilty of any crimes.  That Pilate's wife at that point sent word to him.  Pilate's wife was not the one asking for the release of Barrabas but the angry mob.