• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

every time i look at the name of this forum, i'm reminded of how utterly unworthy of the gift of God's grace i am - indeed how unworthy all mankind is both collectively and individually. 

it seems to me that this is the picture the scriptures paint for us throughout; that man is not worthy, but that God has chosen to show us the richness of His longsuffering, patience and lovingkindness. 

e.g.
all our righteousness is no more than "
filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6) 
no one seeks Him, and no one is good - we are "
altogether worthless" (Romans 3:10-17) 
etc etc

even Paul, a 'Hebrew of the Hebrews' and 'blameless' with regard to the righteousness that is by law, a pharisee, counted all these things that a man might see as what makes him 'worthy' as nothing but dung (Philippians 3:8) -- for the sake of attaining the righteousness that is through faith; for attaining Christ.

. . because what we have received from God in Christ Jesus is mercy, not a reward. if we were worthy, it would be as wages (Romans 4:4) - but we are not; it is a gift. 
salvation is to the Lord alone, and it is not by works, effort or merit -- we cannot boast -- it is wholly, entirely by grace: undeserved kindness. 

It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God's mercy.
(Romans 9:16) 

if we were "worthy" then it would be by our desire or effort. but it is not, and we are not. 

to be sure - we are called to 'walk worthy' of the calling we received (Ephesians 4) 
but how is it we could count ourselves worthy? 

Christ said even to His apostles: 

So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say,
'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'

(Luke 17:10) 

-- so i can't in good conscious say that i'm "worthy" even when i've 'done my duty' -- in fact, it is my duty to say that i am not. because what has God required of us? to walk humbly before Him, loving mercy (Micah 6:8) 

if i am "worthy" in any way, then it is not me who is worthy, but Christ who lives in me (Galatians 2:20):
therefore again, it is not myself who is 'worthy' -- but it is the Lamb who was slain, who alone is worthy of all glory, all honor, and all praise, AMEN !!

so i was wondering what the name of this forum means to you,
and if you disagree; if any of you consider yourselves "
worthy" please fill the rest of us in on what makes you so cool. thanks :) 

(("
thanks" -- how can one be 'thankful' for something they believe they deserve? maybe this is the same question, haha))

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Pfft. 

He is worthy. Not me. But if you notice, the logo is the Lion of Judah. So the emphasis is on His worthiness. Not ours.

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, post said:

every time i look at the name of this forum, i'm reminded of how utterly unworthy of the gift of God's grace i am - indeed how unworthy all mankind is both collectively and individually. 

it seems to me that this is the picture the scriptures paint for us throughout; that man is not worthy, but that God has chosen to show us the richness of His longsuffering, patience and lovingkindness. 

e.g.
all our righteousness is no more than "
filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6) 
no one seeks Him, and no one is good - we are "
altogether worthless" (Romans 3:10-17) 
etc etc

even Paul, a 'Hebrew of the Hebrews' and 'blameless' with regard to the righteousness that is by law, a pharisee, counted all these things that a man might see as what makes him 'worthy' as nothing but dung (Philippians 3:8) -- for the sake of attaining the righteousness that is through faith; for attaining Christ.

. . because what we have received from God in Christ Jesus is mercy, not a reward. if we were worthy, it would be as wages (Romans 4:4) - but we are not; it is a gift. 
salvation is to the Lord alone, and it is not by works, effort or merit -- we cannot boast -- it is wholly, entirely by grace: undeserved kindness. 

It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God's mercy.
(Romans 9:16) 

if we were "worthy" then it would be by our desire or effort. but it is not, and we are not. 

to be sure - we are called to 'walk worthy' of the calling we received (Ephesians 4) 
but how is it we could count ourselves worthy? 

Christ said even to His apostles: 

So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say,
'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'

(Luke 17:10) 

-- so i can't in good conscious say that i'm "worthy" even when i've 'done my duty' -- in fact, it is my duty to say that i am not. because what has God required of us? to walk humbly before Him, loving mercy (Micah 6:8) 

if i am "worthy" in any way, then it is not me who is worthy, but Christ who lives in me (Galatians 2:20):
so again, it is not myself who is 'worthy' -- but it is the Lamb who was slain, who alone is worthy of all glory, all honor, and all praise, AMEN !!

so i was wondering what the name of this forum means to you,
and if you disagree; if any of you consider yourselves "worthy" please fill the rest of us in on what makes you so cool. thanks :) 

(("thanks" -- how can one be 'thankful' for something they believe they deserve? maybe this is the same question, haha))

Grace~Grace~wonderful grace~~:emot-heartbeat:

Ef.2:8

Alive with Christ
7in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, demonstrated by His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8; it For it is by grace you have beensaved through faith, and this not fromyourselvesis the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast.…

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Pfft. 

He is worthy. Not me. But if you notice, the logo is the Lion of Judah. So the emphasis is on His worthiness. Not ours.

amen

32 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Grace~Grace~wonderful grace~~:emot-heartbeat:

Ef.2:8

Alive with Christ
7in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, demonstrated by His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8; it For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast.…

amen

* i'm not 'knocking' the name of this place; 

i'm saying that it is a constant reminder to me of who is the One who is worthy, and how that i am not: a meaning that may not be obvious on reading the name of the site. 

-- and i hope that we all take this same view, and don't use it as an occasion to be puffed up. 

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

1 minute ago, post said:

* i'm not 'knocking' the name of this place; 

i'm saying that it is a constant reminder to me of who the One who is worthy, and how that i am not: a meaning that may not be obvious on reading the name of the site. 

-- and i hope that we all take this same view, and don't use it as an occasion to be puffed up. 

Lol when I saw the title I was like great who's ticked off at worthy and why.... And was pleasantly surprised at the content. It was very well written and I enjoyed it. Thank-you. :-)