creativemechanic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Spanking is not the only option of discipline. Other options may require patience,effort,time and commitment but I think it is a healthier.

Guest shiloh357
56 minutes ago, markdohle said:

That was sadistic I believe......I am not saying your father was a sadist, however spanking more often not not was a way for parent to work out their frustration.  For instance, what if you father spanked your mother that way?  A child is helpless before it parents, I believe there are other ways to discipline a child that work better. I have met many men and women who talk about how their parents would beat them, it did no good, only made them worse.  Probably because it was often unjust. 

That's a pile of crap.   Spanking is not beating.  

Spanking makes an excellent form of discipline that promotes a healthy fear of one's parents as it should be.   It associates a particular behavior with an unpleasant outcome.   I am glad I spanked.  It kept me out of a lot of trouble.  At first it was just fear of my parents.   But as I got older, my understanding improved and I realized why my parents did what they did.   They saved me a lot of grief.   i got the spanking I deserved.   And it was effective enough that I didn't need to get too many at all.   My dad didn't like being lied to and knew the trouble I would face in life if I made a habit of it. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Isn't this thread asking opinions? Why should someone be chastised for giving their opinion? We are not all going to be on the same page on this subject. So not deal respectfully with everyone's different opinion :noidea:

Just saying

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1965

I have three kids ages: 23, 21, and 19. My wife and I decided that it would be me and me alone who would discipline our children, if needed. I thought about it quite a bit before I came up with a plan that worked for us. Spanking was rarely ever needed for a simple reason. When I told the kids to do or not to do something, I always followed up. That means, I went and checked to see if my orders were followed. Before the age of eleven, I rarely had to discipline any of my kids. Spending lots of free time with them and following up on my orders kept them paying attention to what mom and dad expected of them. Also, I didn't have a television in the house until the youngest was 7. After that they were only allowed to watch videos (not Tv) for 1 hour a day until they were in high school. When discipline was needed, I always sat down with them and asked if they understood what they did wrong. After the discipline was over, I hugged them and sat with them talking until I was sure that sadness didn't linger. In the many group homes and foster homes I've lived in, I have seen a lot of kids come from very abusive parents, ones that rarely ever exercised self control. So I made a promise to myself, and I kept it, to never discipline my gets when I was angry with them. 

Kids can be unpredictable and things didn't always go according to plan, but my wife's encouragement and us being consistent kept our family together.  

Edited by Dr3ams

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

15 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Several? Like which ones?

Please look up the verses with "rod".  The judicious use of spanking can be useful while explaining to the child the necessity of this discipline.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

12 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

That's a pile of crap.   Spanking is not beating.  

Spanking makes an excellent form of discipline that promotes a healthy fear of one's parents as it should be.   It associates a particular behavior with an unpleasant outcome.   I am glad I spanked.  It kept me out of a lot of trouble.  At first it was just fear of my parents.   But as I got older, my understanding improved and I realized why my parents did what they did.   They saved me a lot of grief.   i got the spanking I deserved.   And it was effective enough that I didn't need to get too many at all.   My dad didn't like being lied to and knew the trouble I would face in life if I made a habit of it. 

There is spanking and there is 'beating'.  To strip down a child's pants and then to cause severe pain by using a leather belt is not spanking.  Like I said, I am not talking about your dad or its effect on you, which seemed helpful in your case.  But usually when a parent does that it is part of a cycle of abuse.  I am happy it was not that for you.  Being a parent is very hard and very stressful, many take it out on the child or their pet or spouse.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

12 hours ago, Dr3ams said:

I have three kids ages: 23, 21, and 19. My wife and I decided that it would be me and me alone who would discipline our children, if needed. I thought about it quite a bit before I came up with a plan that worked for us. Spanking was rarely ever needed for a simple reason. When I told the kids to do or not to do something, I always followed up. That means, I went and checked to see if my orders were followed. Before the age of eleven, I rarely had to discipline any of my kids. Spending lots of free time with them and following up on my orders kept them paying attention to what mom and dad expected of them. Also, I didn't have a television in the house until the youngest was 7. After that they were only allowed to watch videos (not Tv) for 1 hour a day until they were in high school. When discipline was needed, I always sat down with them and asked if they understood what they did wrong. After the discipline was over, I hugged them and sat with them talking until I was sure that sadness didn't linger. In the many group homes and foster homes I've lived in, I have seen a lot of kids come from very abusive parents, ones that rarely ever exercised self control. So I made a promise to myself, and I kept it, to never discipline my gets when I was angry with them. 

Kids can be unpredictable and things didn't always go according to plan, but my wife's encouragement and us being consistent kept our family together.  

Wow, you should write a book my friend.  A Godly, loving father you are.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

When I was a kid, the worst punishment I could ever have was having my bike taken away from me. That broke my little heart! A spanking was over and done with in a few moments. (yes I got them too) But taking my bike away went on for a week or two, and in kid time a week is like forever!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

12 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Isn't this thread asking opinions? Why should someone be chastised for giving their opinion? We are not all going to be on the same page on this subject. So not deal respectfully with everyone's different opinion :noidea:

Just saying

me coon with six shooters 255.jpgI think I can take ya today :happyhappy: 

Guest shiloh357
46 minutes ago, markdohle said:

There is spanking and there is 'beating'.  To strip down a child's pants and then to cause severe pain by using a leather belt is not spanking. 

Baloney.   It is not beating.  I know lots of people who got spanked that way, and they turned out just fine.   Spanking is pointless unless it causes a lot of pain.   The pain is the point.  Causing pain and causing harm are two different things.

Like I said, I am not talking about your dad or its effect on you, which seemed helpful in your case.  But usually when a parent does that it is part of a cycle of abuse.  I am happy it was not that for you.  Being a parent is very hard and very stressful, many take it out on the child or their pet or spouse.  

Actually, if more people would spank their kids, we would have more disciplined adults later on down the road.