• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1981

Ok, so since joining this site; I have found a tragically consistent pattern among some that is disturbing. On my own posts as well as nearly every other post, there is always one or two "would be," preachers blindly quotinq a solitary verse as their basis for quick, harsh, and predominantly false condemnation or criticism. That being said, I have a few questions...lol... I do expect the usual dose of complete misinterpretation of context and application; yet I am eager to see what kind of response this gets in all. I pray this is not the case and that I am wrong. I would much prefer to be in error here than correct in discerning the trend.

1) What good does it do to promote this spirit of contention, condemnation, and deception when we are called to edify?

2) What good does it do if we blindly use a single verse out of context to promote an agenda or position; or to disqualify a truth we simply do not want to face?

3) Should we not use the proper context, take the passages as a whole, and ensure our claims are backed by other passages/scriptures in order to display the full truth rather than merely the "angle," of truth we wish to promote?

4) Why do we focus on symantics, presentation, and a person's tenure more than the principle and actual intent? 

5) Are we not called to value the grace given by the blood of Christ; love and mercy over the desire to find fault and cast judgment over mercy?

*These are meant as questions for reflection, that we do well to keep in mind before we post/answer. It is no matter to me whether folks concur with the principles I expound upon; which are backed by true context and several parallel scriptures mind you. What troubles me is the tendency to contribute to and/or promote contention, rather than simply edifying and correcting in a spirit of love; not an air of superiority and condemnation. I am quite aware that I make my own mistakes; and at times miss the mark in my passion for Jesus. I admit that I do not always have as full an understanding as I would like; and as such, am equally prone to have some errors-(see YOWM being correct as I was in error thinking it was Nehemiah marching around the walls of Jeruslem; when Nehemiah was tasked with rebuilding Jerusalem while Joshua marched the walls of Jericho..lol.)

The morals of the story: A) We should be less hasty to judge the surface and look deeper to the intent. B) We, (myself included,) should be sure we are not using a single verse out of context and whether consciously or unconsciously promote deceptive doctrine. C) Our purpose should be to edify, to shine a light of love and grace, rather than contention and disunity. D) When offering correction, let us remember that none of us are perfect, that we all equally received unmerited favor in Christ; and since we received mercy instead of the righteous judgment of God..perhaps that is what we should reflect. Thanks n God Bless!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Hello Shiny!

Well, you point is true, however at the same time, I also see much good in the posting here.  Such as your point number 2, when verses are taken out of context, it may be a great example to teach what the proper context is.  Whether the op opens up to the correct context or not, perhaps many like myself who doesn't post a whole lot, are reading and learning.  There are many great people here who are patient and kind and let us learn from there wisdom.  We are all wrong at times, yet I think even with the few things you brought up are true at times, overwhelmingly, (or maybe its just the good I concentrate on), there is a lot of great people and conversations here!

Well said HMBLD, I agree completely with your sentiments. While I do point out this issue, I would like to clarify that the large majority of the interactions here are indeed very helpful, very loving, and very well based in scripture. This is not an "across the board accusation," but a simple redirection for those to whom it applies. Very true also that each time it is an opportunity to teach, redirect and institute truth and scriptural basis; that we all may learn at least a different perspective even if we do not entirely agree with what is said specifically. I do apologize if any feel that some of my posts are "preachy," as the last thing I want is for folks to feel I am just on a pedestal doling out judgment; that would be contrary to the purpose of being salt and light. I may be quick to educate, but I am also humble enough to admit when I am wrong, and I appreciate the intent of those willing to offer correction; even when I may not agree with the post. Finally, Praise the Lord Almighty for your correction Hmbld! you have spoken well in stating that you try to concentrate on the good; perhaps I need to work on focusing less on "fixing errors," and more on encouraging the good that is being done for the kingdom.Thanks n God Bless!

Guest bonnieschamberger

Very happy that you wrote this and brought this to light and I agree.You have such a humble spirit and Im so glad you came to this forum!I definately see/feel you as salt and light God bless you shiny!

Well likewise Bonnie! This is twice in a short time your words have been an encouragement aand inspiration to me; thank you so much for your support! BTW...I visited Louisiana a time or two..spent a new years just off the french quarter in N.Orleans.. great time...lol..til i had to hitchike back home! haha. alls well that ends well tho..Jesus is always in your corner and so are we! God Bless You!  

Edited by Hippie333
removed solicitation

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I call it 'scripture volley ball', some people are better at it than others, some can overwhelm you with different quotes.  Though I have come to like those disagree with me the most, they are honest God fearing men.  I also know that I can do it as well.....thanks for the reminder. 

There is a good mix here I believe, all Christians.  Through there are some who are sure I am going to hell......:rolleyes: Just a quote away.

I nearly literally burst out laughing...well said mark! I've a feeling some may soon think the same of me as well. I suppose that is to be expected though given this site has some of the old traditional folks and newer generation, some who may be of the more stoic southern baptist and some of the more extroverted pentecostals. Mind you I have no issue at all with either denomination, just that some of one denomination may find it difficult to break free of the denominationl ideology and simply don't agree with other approaches or philosophies. I've encountered those who belive anything other than good old hymns and organ music is "satanic" music; while others prefer more uptempo contemporary worship as with larger praise teams; guitars, drums etc. Oh well, given time perhaps we can all break free of the traditions we are used to and simply see the Word of God as it is rather than let politics dictate our beliefs.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

55 minutes ago, SHINY4UJESUS said:

I nearly literally burst out laughing...well said mark! I've a feeling some may soon think the same of me as well. I suppose that is to be expected though given this site has some of the old traditional folks and newer generation, some who may be of the more stoic southern baptist and some of the more extroverted pentecostals. Mind you I have no issue at all with either denomination, just that some of one denomination may find it difficult to break free of the denominationl ideology and simply don't agree with other approaches or philosophies. I've encountered those who belive anything other than good old hymns and organ music is "satanic" music; while others prefer more uptempo contemporary worship as with larger praise teams; guitars, drums etc. Oh well, given time perhaps we can all break free of the traditions we are used to and simply see the Word of God as it is rather than let politics dictate our beliefs.

It is hard to simply listen my friend.  I am glad you are here, like you input and wisdom.

Thanks Brother! Just doin the little things i can, no more than my basic duty as a servant. your words are an encouragement and i am grateful

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/24/2016 at 11:10 AM, SHINY4UJESUS said:

Thanks Brother! Just doin the little things i can, no more than my basic duty as a servant. your words are an encouragement and i am grateful

We need everyone, you are not in a position to choose.  I need something from you, and if you kind enough , offer your assistance in this matter.     Someone said to me, Jesus said : "I have come for the Jews only", and I am not a Jew.                       Do you think the context can help and how.