• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

@HAZARD

Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

The bible is not a scientific book, neither a history book, neither a geological book. If one wants to classify the bible, it comes closer to literature. And literature doesn't mean always fictions. There is a lot of literature based on facts, that are considered literature because they are part of the culture of a folk. In the bible there are narratives, poesy, law, engineering etc. So if you want to interpret the bible you need to define the rules to make literature.

Example, if you write history you need to prove what are you saying with archaeology, journals of the epoch and others. And you try to maintain a time line.

Each text we write, we use some rules of this typology of text, if you write a receipt, you dont need to write to whom you write, or greetings at the end. But you need to use the measures of receipt, however no one will understand....

And in the narrative you need a introduction about what you will tell. Sometimes it as person, sometimes it is a local or a time. Examples: Book of Ruth, 1st Samuel, Esdras....

And so begins Genesis: they did a introduction what is about: how was the begin. It can be mean that this beginning of the 1st verse is the 7 days, or the prior moment before this days. But no one can state what moment is, because this is the introduction.

And another thing very important in the literature is the figurative language:

Job 38: 4, Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
V. 5, Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
V. 6, Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened ? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
V. 7, When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Since when stars can song? It is a figurative language. If a text works with that, you can not interpret all things literally

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, tleichs said:

@HAZARD

Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”

The bible is not a scientific book, neither a history book, neither a geological book. If one wants to classify the bible, it comes closer to literature. And literature doesn't mean always fictions. There is a lot of literature based on facts, that are considered literature because they are part of the culture of a folk. In the bible there are narratives, poesy, law, engineering etc. So if you want to interpret the bible you need to define the rules to make literature.

Example, if you write history you need to prove what are you saying with archaeology, journals of the epoch and others. And you try to maintain a time line.

Each text we write, we use some rules of this typology of text, if you write a receipt, you dont need to write to whom you write, or greetings at the end. But you need to use the measures of receipt, however no one will understand....

And in the narrative you need a introduction about what you will tell. Sometimes it as person, sometimes it is a local or a time. Examples: Book of Ruth, 1st Samuel, Esdras....

And so begins Genesis: they did a introduction what is about: how was the begin. It can be mean that this beginning of the 1st verse is the 7 days, or the prior moment before this days. But no one can state what moment is, because this is the introduction.

And another thing very important in the literature is the figurative language:

Job 38: 4, Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
V. 5, Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
V. 6, Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened ? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
V. 7, When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Since when stars can song? It is a figurative language. If a text works with that, you can not interpret all things literally

The stars which sang with joy were the angels.

This is what God's Holy Book, the Bible is my friend.  Bible is the Holy Word of God, no doubt about it. Anyone who can read and understand plain english, can read and understand the Bible. It was written to understood by babes. A God who wrote a book on how men should live, and wrote it in such a way that it would be impossible to understand and needed interperetation, and then men by it, would be no God at all. Its a huge volume, and you wont be able to consume it overnight.

The Bible is God's inspired revelation of the origin and destiny of all things. It is the power of God unto eternal salvation and it is the source of present help for the body, soul, and spirit (Rom. 1:16; John 15:7). It is God's will and testament to men in all ages, revealing the plan of God for man here and now and in the next life. It is the record of God's dealings with man; past, present, and future. It contains God's message of eternal salvation to all people who believe in Christ and of eternal damnation to those who knowingly and willingly rebell against the gospel.

The Bible is a literary composition, and the Bible is the most remarkable book ever written. It is a divine library of sixty-six books, some of considerable size, and others no larger than a tract. All these books include various forms of litrature, history, biography, poetry, proverbial sayings, hymns, letters, directions for elaborate ritualistic worship, laws, parables, riddles, allegories, prophecy, drama, and all other forms of human expression. The Bible never has been excelled from any standpoint. This book contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the reward and happiness of believers. Its doctrins are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories true, and its decisions immutable.

The Bible is a mirror to reflect (James 1:23); a hammer to convict (Jer. 23:29); a fire to refine (Jer. 23:29); seed to multiply (1 Pet. 1:23); lwater to cleanse (Eph. 5:26; John 15:3); a lamp to guide (Ps. 119:105); and food to nourish, including milk for babes (1 Pet. 2:2), it is bread for the hungry (Matt. 4:4), meat for men (Heb. 5:11-14), and it is honey for dessert (Ps. 19:10). It is rain and snow to refresh (Isa. 55:10); a sword to cut (Heb. 4:12; a bow to revenge (Heb. 3:9); it is gold to enrich (Ps. 19:7-10); and it reveals the power who creats life through faith (1 Pet. 1:23; Rom. 10:17).

The Bible is not an amulet, a charm, a fetish,or a thing that will work wonders by its very presence without any volintary agency. The Bible does not claim to be any such thing. What the Bible does claim is that if one will study and practice it that it will work wonders in the life now and hereafter. The Bible does not benifit men by its presence, such as in hotel rooms, by a bedside, in a home, or a factory, any more than a spring of cool water benefits a thirsty man who refuses to drink.

The Bible is not a book of chronological events or one unbroken series of divine utterances. The Bible was given piecemeal, here a little and there a little, to many men through eighteen centuries or more (Isa. 28:9-11). And in spite of this it forms a perfect unity. The Bible is not a book of mysteries, of supernatural languages, of heavenly utterances. It is God's Revelation in the most simple human language possible. It explains the so-called mysteries and it is self-interpreting, so that no mystery remains in it. It does not say one thing and mean another. It has generally only one simple meaning. If a few passages have a double meaning, that is quite clear from the passage itself or from parallel passages. One cannot, as is commonly believed, get a thousand different meanings, from any one passage. The Bible is not an example of God's skill as a writer or logician. It is a book written by men whom God used to record His revelation. God used the men by giving them freedom of expression to use their own language and ways of expressing truth. The writers were God's penmen, and not God's pens. All that inspiration guarantees is unity of thought, not the sameness of words and expressions.

The Bible is not a book of systematic discourse on any one subject, but it does give divine information on practically every subject. One must collect together here and there all God's information through the various writers in order to get the whole truth. When this is done, there is perfect harmony, and everything agout the whole subject that man really needs to know is clear.

The Bible is not a book that conforms to tasts, customs, or habits of any one nation or people, or for any one age or period of time. It is a book to which all people in all ages can conform, and yet retain their own peculiar customs and habits that are not sinful and contrary to the will of God.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, HAZARD said:

The Bible is not a book of chronological events or one unbroken series of divine utterances

So, why were you trying to define what was before the first day if you know that the bible is not a book of chronological events?

36 minutes ago, tleichs said:

So, why were you trying to define what was before the first day if you know that the bible is not a book of chronological events?

I was not trying to do anything. The Bible is very explicit as to what was before the first day of re-creation. Can you tell me when "In the beginning," was?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

6 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

I was not trying to do anything. The Bible is very explicit as to what was before the first day of re-creation. Can you tell me when "In the beginning," was?

I'm sorry but God's 7 day creation was not a "re-creation"

In the beginning God created in 7 days all.

6 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

15 minutes ago, hmbld said:

In Your Opinion.

Can you tell me exactly, when "In the beginning," was?

2 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

In Your Opinion. Can you tell me exactly, when "In the beginning," was?

Sure!  The Bible starts with " In the beginning" and then explains the first 7 days if creation/rest. so you see, no re-creation!  God even numbered the first days, first, second, third, etc!  Go ahead, read it!  No 37,501st day listed!  Only first, second, third, etc!

3 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Sure!  The Bible starts with " In the beginning" and then explains the first 7 days if creation/rest. so you see, no re-creation!  God even numbered the first days, first, second, third, etc!  Go ahead, read it!  No 37,501st day listed!  Only first, second, third, etc!

So in your understanding of the Scriptures, "in the beginning,"  was approximately 6,000 years ago?

12 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

So in your understanding of the Scriptures, "in the beginning,"  was approximately 6,000 years ago?

Yes Hazard. Look, I love you brother but your not going to convince me of a re-creation. I've read your posts, scriptures, even been to the web sites that teach this. I don't see it. It disagrees with scripture that it avoids addressing.