• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

2 hours ago, da_man1974 said:

I do think the message needs to be adapted to the audience.  That was one thing my son brought up.  Each Sunday our church takes communion and we have an elder give a little talk about it and pray.  He likes one particular elder because he speaks in a way that the kids can understand.  It's like the difference of King James versus NIV.  IT's the same message just the delivery is different.

There he is! :) See even the kids get it that the message has to be adapted to the audience.  :thumbsup: Speak to the youngest child and the oldest adult should theoretically understand. 

Don't get me (or more importantly some others here at Worthy) started on the KJV. ;)  I do agree with you though children typically need a more easier to comprehend version of the Bible than old English.

Have you thought about making a list of pros and cons? Did you see the list I shared?

Also about how old are the kiddos? Are they say teens, pre-teens, or younger kids?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

But our feelings can lie to us.  We need to listen to the Holy Spirit,  You will know the difference.

About a month ago I was driving down the road and something did not feel right with the car.  So, I trusted my feelings and took it to the shop.  Turns out there was a screw in the tire that was in such a way that the air was not coming out but it was digging into the tire and would have caused a blowout had it not been taken care of.  

Since I have never had the Holy Spirit speak audibly to me, I am not sure how outside of using our feelings the Holy Spirit can talk to me. 

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings GE....

You made a good point about the kid's "feelings".....It's funny, I do go to 2 churches, one is Pentecostal & there are many kids ,they're great, they seem to enjoy the service just as much as the adults & they really Understand what they hear......Holy Spirit gives little ones, middle ones & old ones Wisdom * Understand as they Receive it.....we serve an Awesome God

Now the other church, which is non-denominational has a children's Ministry ,they have different rooms for different age groups & they have their Bible lessons, service etc.,,,,they all love it    Whenever I would bring my little grand daughter to church with me(age 3 at that time)she was not to crazy about the (as she would say LOUD church) but she wanted to visit Jesus-lol  I used to tell her she had to show the babies how to not cry & be good in church and she used to walk around to the little ones & say" Jesus is here, it's okay!!) She didn't really know what was going on there but when we would go to the other church in the kids classes she learned a lot,,,,,,,

To tell you the Truth, I believe that the children "feel" what the parent or guardian makes them feel ,,,lead by example firstly, if you are Filled with Joy they are too, you are clapping& praising, so are they......the fundamentals begin at home, from birth.....as they get older & start to understand more you take them by the hand & explain......Holy Spirit Will not only convict their little hearts but they too can Receive the Heart & Mind of Christ  AND will instruct the parents in guiding them   The kids "feelings",nah,,,,, Mommy"I don't feel like going to church".....if Mommy loves to go to church they will love it too & w4hen they come to the age of reason they WILL RECEIVE, no doubt......God Loves His children!                               With love-in Christ,Kwik

Hiya Sis :) 

I'm not sure that we can make our kids feel a certain way.

Yet I think you hit the nail on the head. Our attitudes as adults, parents, grandparents, etc. are extremely contagious. I find that with my kiddos. It's good when I look in the mirror of my child's face and see God's grace. It's sad when I see my own words or actions play out in a way that clearly shows my children are disobedient or angry. They mimic everything - good and bad.

Yet God is good and is able to continue to mold us to be more like Christ. :thumbsup:  So thankful my salvation doesn't depend on my own effort but on God's promises and His Holy Spirit at work in my life.

I appreciate in particular your kind words to me since I've been back here on Worthy as I have been struggling a lot lately with identify, faith, understanding the world around me, etc. But I digress, that's a topic for a PM if you'd like I guess.

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, Yowm said:

The 60's saw the 'Jesus people revival' which came out of those so called 'stodgy' churches following. The Great Awakening, and the Welsh revival all without 'methods'. Jonathan Edwards had to be the most monotone preacher and yet...

It takes prayer, the Gospel and the Spirit's move opening eyes and hearts, convicting of sin and birthing faith in God's love.

I think you're examples are actually strawmen. It is the liberal Churches attempt to 'attract' the unchurched with polls, programs and pancake breakfasts' instead of the essentials, which is closer to the problem.

His examples are all valid and in practice.  And they are out of touch with the population as a whole.  Too many Christians in America think that Church has to be done a certain way or it is wrong, or it is selling out or what have you.

Have you ever been to church in a non-Western country?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

25 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

There he is! :) See even the kids get it that the message has to be adapted to the audience.  :thumbsup: Speak to the youngest child and the oldest adult should theoretically understand. 

Don't get me (or more importantly some others here at Worthy) started on the KJV. ;)  I do agree with you though children typically need a more easier to comprehend version of the Bible than old English.

Have you thought about making a list of pros and cons? Did you see the list I shared?

Also about how old are the kiddos? Are they say teens, pre-teens, or younger kids?

God bless,

GE

One kid is a  teen.  The other is a pre teen.  So we deal with that as well.  I know I strayed quite heavily as a teen and even into my 20's.  I always believed but I just was not living the way I should.  I just don't want my kids making the same mistakes I did.

42 minutes ago, Yowm said:

The 60's saw the 'Jesus people revival' which came out of those so called 'stodgy' churches . The Great Awakening, and the Welsh revival all without 'methods' as well. Jonathan Edwards had to be the most monotone preacher and yet...

It takes prayer, the Gospel and the Spirit's move opening eyes and hearts, convicting of sin and birthing faith in God's love.

I think you're examples are actually strawmen. It is the liberal Churches attempt to 'attract' the unchurched with polls, programs and pancake breakfasts' instead of the essentials, which is closer to the problem.

1Cor 9 does hold weight...in the context of the Gospel preached for souls, not for profit.

Funny that you should mention a straw man. You asked for clarification and I provided clarification for what I meant. I didn't realize we were opponents in this conversation nor that we were having an argument. I thought we were simply sharing ideas and thoughts...

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.

The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e. "stand up a straw man") and then refuting that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition.

So, given this brief working definition of a straw man fallacy... I ask you where did I say that prayer, the Gospel, the Holy Spirit moving were not part of the method?

Why are we all of a sudden talking about "liberal" churches? What I mentioned was that the Gospel doesn't change but the method of presenting the Gospel does change.

What worked for the Jesus movement, Great Awakening, or Jonathan Edwards, or even 40-50 years ago may not and likely does not work today. It's a simple fact. Look at the numbers of people who partake in churches who are under 50 as evidence.

35 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

His examples are all valid and in practice.  And they are out of touch with the population as a whole.  Too many Christians in America think that Church has to be done a certain way or it is wrong, or it is selling out or what have you.

Have you ever been to church in a non-Western country?

Thanks OotS... I agree too many Christians in America think church has to be done a certain way or is wrong... I have been in a variety of churches in multiple countries personally. Let me just say that the experience is quite different than the pews and experience here in the U.S.

God bless,
GE

26 minutes ago, da_man1974 said:

One kid is a  teen.  The other is a pre teen.  So we deal with that as well.  I know I strayed quite heavily as a teen and even into my 20's.  I always believed but I just was not living the way I should.  I just don't want my kids making the same mistakes I did.

Hi Da Man :) 

Okay so they are definitely at the age where it matters if they don't understand the sermon or connect with others their age.

Here's a short list I'd recommend going over and praying with your wife:

1. Doctrine: Do the teachings of the church align with most of my views? Are there any that I cannot live with?

2. Fellowship: Do I connect with others around me? Does my family connect with others in the church?

3. Outreach: Does the church focus solely on members or are there efforts to reach others in the community?

4. Church Services - Gospel: Does the church teach the Gospel and do they follow the teachings of the Bible?  

5. Church Services - Times: Are the services at good times for you and your family?

6. Church Services - Needs: Can you serve together? Is there inclusion of all age groups in your family? Are the needs of your family being met?

7. Bible Studies: During the week or on Sundays? Are they Gospel centered?

8. Music: Is the music helpful in worshipping God or is it a distraction?

9. Why? Why do I want to stay at this church? Why do I want to leave? Why does my family want to stay or leave this church?

What else might be important to discuss when evaluating whether you should move or not? Will you only speak to your wife about it? Or might you include your kids in the conversation?

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

About a month ago I was driving down the road and something did not feel right with the car.  So, I trusted my feelings and took it to the shop.  Turns out there was a screw in the tire that was in such a way that the air was not coming out but it was digging into the tire and would have caused a blowout had it not been taken care of.  

Since I have never had the Holy Spirit speak audibly to me, I am not sure how outside of using our feelings the Holy Spirit can talk to me. 

I didn't say anything about audibly.  Holy Spirit does speak to our spirits.  Years ago just one day before my dad died, I had come home from the hospital  I knew it was the last time I would see my dad on this side of eternity.  I heard the Holy Spirit speak to me so clearly in my spirit I knew it was Him.  He gave me a scripture.  "No weapon formed against me will prosper."  I don't know why that scripture, but He knew.  I have never forgotten it, I even remember the exact spot I was standing in.  I was not even thinking of scripture but He knew what I needed to hear.  

Yes we need to be still and know that he is God, and He will speak to us and if we are in tune with Him we will know that it Him speaking to us.  So yes He can and does speak to us.  Our feelings sometimes lie to us.  So as for me I would much rather listen with my spirit to Holy Spirit then what I feel in my "gut"

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Last night I asked my wife what she felt like for dinner, she told me she we feeling like some salmon.  I had a good feeling about that, so we went with it.  I felt that I wanted to try something different so I made up my own rub that I felt would go well with bacon, then I layed bacon over top the salmon as it cooked.  I also felt that a nice White Belgium Ale would go nicely with the fish dinner so that is what I did.

I trusted my feelings from start to finish and it all turned out ok.   But then again I do not believe there was an absolute truth about what I should eat for dinner.

Yeah, that's complete and utter nonsense.

Our faith is not rooted in emotion, but in the truth of God's word.  We don't deal with matters of eternity on the basis of what we feel, but on the objective truth God has laid out in Scripture.   Postmodernism  views right and wrong in terms of emotion.  Something is right or wrong based on how it makes someone feel.  Truth doesn't matter to the postmodern, because to them there is no  objective morality, nor is there any objective, absolute truth.

If the Bible's teaching on the reality of the fallen state of man and that salvation is found in Christ alone makes a postmodern feel bad, they reject that teaching.  No one should ever attempt measure truth in terms of how they feel about it.  Truth is not relative or subjective.  Truth objective and it is vital.

Feelings can be and often are manipulated; if all we are relying on is "feelings", then Satan has a pretty good "handle" by which to push, pull and swing us any way he likes. This is why we have Scripture which deals with facts.

Feelings were originally given to us to assist, not to be the "be all end all" of decision-making. Only children rely totally on "feelings".

Edited by RobertS