• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/love-is-not-a-verb

Love Is Not Only a Verb

John Mayer’s catchy song captures the way many people end up defining love in total: “Love Is a Verb.” The problem is that’s not the whole truth. Love is not only a verb.

Now, I know what Mayer’s getting at. He means that lip-only love isn’t love. Love is displayed in action. That is true. The apostle John agrees when he says, “Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth” (1 John 3:18).

But it’s still a massive and potentially dangerous oversimplification. If we reduce love to mere action, we will miss love at its source. Making love only a verb will likely make us Pharisees. Because just like you can talk loving without really loving, you can act loving without really loving. That’s what Paul meant when he said, “If I give away all I have and deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing” (1 Corinthians 13:3). We can look like we’re fulfilling 1 John 3:18 and still not love.

To understand love correctly, we must see that love originates as a noun that necessarily produces verbs

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Love in a marriage goes much deeper than that hormone rush you get when that person walks into the room. It is an unconditional and sacrificial love.  It is hard work to keep a marriage going for 50 years. It is a commitment to God and to your marriage partner.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

13 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That is a very judgmental and dangerous claim to make.

No it is not.  That is the truth, whether you like it or not.  Did you miss this post from Batarang WHICH MAKES NO REFERENCE TO THE SPIRIT?

"The view of most psychologists is that love has 3 components:

- behavioural (body)

- mental (mind)

- emotional (soul)"

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Ezra said:

No it is not.  That is the truth, whether you like it or not.  Did you miss this post from Batarang WHICH MAKES NO REFERENCE TO THE SPIRIT?

"The view of most psychologists is that love has 3 components:

- behavioural (body)

- mental (mind)

- emotional (soul)"

Most psychologists? But not all. A person needs to find a very good reputable Christian Psychologist. They are out there. They are not worldly and secular. They pray with their patients and they relate their issues according to God and the Holy Bible. They have much more schooling than a counselor. Of course they can not dispense medications. That is for the Psychiatrist who is a physician. It all depends on how serious a person's issues are. There are social workers as well that do therapy. There are some who are new age so a person needs to get references and do their homework. Yes, there are many who turn their nose up to any kind of mental help. That is their choice. There are also many who think that any kind of mental illness is demon possession. We are not living back in the 1880's. We know what is going on in the brain today. Many who have had a serious mental illness and did not seek help are no longer with us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

It is hard work to keep a marriage going for 50 years. It is a commitment to God and to your marriage partner.

It is too bad I could not relate to that statement or relate to it in anyway,.However,if God was in the forefront in both our lives when I first got married I surely would have had the privilege of saying something about being married 50 years not long from now.......:noidea:

Ya never know if God Will give me another half century but if he doers then maybe I can say"It was indeed hard work but with God at the helm Mike & I have had 5o Blessed years together"..............wouldn't that be something? Hmmm Peepers?

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

If affection is the emotion, yet I still feel love when there is no affection, what am I feeling?    Or, let me try and word that differently, if I still feel love for someone whom I have no affection for, what emotion am I feeling since according to you I cannot feel love?

You're not feeling love without affection.   You are still confusing the two.  In our western mindset, love is an emotion.   In Scripture, love is only ever defined from the standpoint of action.   We communicate our love in terms of emotion, and/or feeling, but it is neither.   It is the act of love that communicates the authenticity of our affection.  Our emotions work in tandem with love, but real love is sourced in God, not our emotions. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

You're not feeling love without affection.   You are still confusing the two.  In our western mindset, love is an emotion.   In Scripture, love is only ever defined from the standpoint of action.   We communicate our love in terms of emotion, and/or feeling, but it is neither.   It is the act of love that communicates the authenticity of our affection.  Our emotions work in tandem with love, but real love is sourced in God, not our emotions. 

YES I AM.  Please quit telling me what I feel.   You remind me of a blind man telling someone one "no, that apple is not red"

31 minutes ago, Yowm said:

This thread is greasier than a greased pig on a sweltering August day.

Grease is a great lubricant.:cool:

11 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

In Scripture, love is only ever defined from the standpoint of action. 

Exactly.  And the Cross of Christ expresses that action perfectly.

Guest shiloh357

Love is in operation when our feelings are the opposite.   For example, I utterly despise Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton in the strongest terms possible.   But if I happened upon either of them  drowning in a river or swimming pool, I would save his, or her life.  

I could pass by and get away with not stopping to help, but that is not how I am, even with people I cannot stand.  I can also love people I don't know from Adam, people I have absolutely no affection for.   I don't "feel"  anything.  It's an act of obedience.