• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, shiloh357 said:

The emotion is affection.  Thats' what you feel.   Love, even in the Bible is only an action.  It is only expressed in action.

Perhaps it is not your place to tell us what we feel?  

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

11 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

I disagree.  I loved my husband for 25 years.  It most certainly  was a feeling and an emotion an action.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

So you understand fully the emotion expressed by me or any spouse even though you have never been married.  Can you tell me how you can relate to that?  To relate an experience you have never had?

RustyAngeL

Guest shiloh357
21 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

So you understand fully the emotion expressed by me or any spouse even though you have never been married.  Can you tell me how you can relate to that?  To relate an experience you have never had?

RustyAngeL

That's like saying I  actually have to take cocaine to fully grasp the problems and consequences of taking cocaine.   

Love isn't something that is only experienced in marriage.  It's transferable to other contexts, other relationships.  But affection is different based on what particular relationship you're talking about. 

It is our western mindset that views love as an emotion.  It's in our music, our movies and entertainment.  But they are wrong.   Often "love" is confused with affection or infatuation, or even lust.   The whole, "it feels so right, it can't be wrong"  mentality in our modern culture has perverted how we look at love.

Emotions/feelings are based in circumstances.  You feel happy when the conditions are right.   The difference between happiness and joy is like that between affection and love.   Love is how you express the way you feel.  I gave an analogy to demonstrate that very fact. 

You can have joy without necessarily being happy.   You can love without really feeling anything for someone else.   "Love your enemies" doesn't have anything to do with how you feel.   They are your enemies, but you are to act in love toward them, despite how you feel about them in your mind.

How about forgiveness?   You can love someone by forgiving them even though in your mind you want to do the opposite.  It becomes an act of your will.   I can show all kinds of instances where you can love someone you despise in your mind and heart. 

Guest shiloh357
26 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Perhaps it is not your place to tell us what we feel?  

I am not telling you what to feel.   But affection is a feeling.  Nothing wrong  with that.  But it is not love and love is not a feeling.   That's just our western mindset that has a very self-centered approach to love.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

That's like saying I  actually have to take cocaine to fully grasp the problems and consequences of taking cocaine.   

I hate to say it but it is not the same thing at all......certainly no one has to take drugs to know the problems & consequences ,,,,,still,you would have no clue what the person that has taken it experienced & felt

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, kwikphilly said:

I hate to say it but it is not the same thing at all......certainly no one has to take drugs to know the problems & consequences ,,,,,still,you would have no clue what the person that has taken it experienced & felt

Since the original remark was about experience, the analogy is spot on.   I would have to experience cocaine before I can speak out against using it, which is completely absurd.

The point is that there are objective things about relationships that we can know without having experienced those exact relationships because  there is a lot that is transferable from one relationship to another.   Things like trust, communication, loyalty, are common to any relationship.  What's different is the level and kind of affection that is expressed in different relationships.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I would have to experience cocaine before I can speak out against using it, which is completely absurd.

Please Shiloh,don't twist my words,I do not do that to you    I said nothing about you (or anyone else) speaking out against against using cocaine,,,,,it has nothing todo with the price of tea in China......What I am saying is YOU cannot relate to using drugs ,you can not personally relate to the experience of an altered state of mind from the effects of using that drug,,,,therefore,I'll say it again ,you have no clue .....Just as you cannot know what a person feels or experiences or expresses as a spouse,or a father or a mother

You cannot know the love a parent has for their child,you say you know the Love in our hearts from our Father,can you not understand there are different "loves" I love my husband differently than I love my son & yet another love for my grandchildren,,,,,,,,,,Our Fathers Love is Agape Love,do you love with Agape Love? Can you love me as our Father does? Or do you just have an affection for me or none at all.......

Well Jesus tells us that we can love others as we love ourselves,,,,,I love myself because I love Jesus & He Abides in me,,,,,,I love you as well.....are you going to sit here & tell me I don't?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Take a small little topic such as feelings. Look at the feelings and emotions this topic has exposed.