• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, ruck1b said:

Also, Paul never said the Bible was God's word.  He said scripture was inspired by God.  Do you believe by Paul saying scripture was inspired by God that he was saying its the word of God? 

If we reject some things based on inconsistencies wouldn't we have to reject everything considering there are  many located within the texts we read...how do we reconcile that?

[1] In Sunday School a few weeks ago, I taught that Peter said that ALL of Paul's letters were scripture.

• 2 Peter 3:15-16 = "Just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him.  He writes this way, also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction."

[2]  Also in Sunday School during those few weeks, we learned that Peter also said that prophecy comes from the Holy Spirit and not man and that the Holy Spirit gave God's Words.

• 2 Pet. 1:21 = "....for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God."  Notice that Peter is stating that prophecy is not the product of human will.  Instead, prophecy occurs by those moved by the Holy Spirit."

[3] Paul did indeed claim that the scriptures [our Bible today] is God's Word.

• 1 Thessalonians 2:13 = "We also constantly give thanks to God for this, that when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God's word, which is also at work in you believers."

[4]  What "inconsistencies" of the Bible are you talking about that would lead to the rejecting of it?  There are a very few and very minor copyist errors, but nothing that makes the Bible contradict itself as some think and purport.  However, the books are that rejected as scripture - such as the Apocrypha, Enoch, Judas, and many more are rejected because they teach direct and contradictory principles to the gospel.

For example, the Apocryphal book, The Wisdom of Solomon, was known to 1st century Jews, including Paul.  If you do a side-by-side comparison of that book [not written by Solomon] and Paul's letter to the Romans, you can see in many respects where Paul is refuting the teachings of that book that claimed that only the Gentiles were offensive to God and Jews were much "better".  One such specific example is where author the WOS says that he was a "witty child and a good child and came into the world undefiled".  Paul contradicts that and says that "there is none good, no not one" and that "in my flesh dwells no good thing".

You can find resources online that do side-by-side comparisons of these things that will tell you much more than I can.

The books that have been rejected have been rejected - not for minor translation errors - but for doctrinal lies and false teachings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Jayne said:

oops!  double post

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

1 hour ago, warrior12 said:

Well lets see.  The Bible is the best selling book of all times.  kings tried to destroy it.  It has stood the test of time.  The highest court of Nations use it as a truth bearer.  Many nations use it to inaugurate the highest officials in their lands.   I mean, this must have some significance here on earth  for men to trust in its contents.  

Spiritual things are just what they are, spiritual.   You cannot use worldly methods to comprehend spiritual things.   You want affirmation of God's word, then you have to seek him with your heart and soul.   

1 Corinthians 2King James Version (KJV)

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So, i really want to know, what's your question is all about.  You should be forthright and give us what is your line of reasoning and we could have some more dialogue and get some resolve, or at least try.  You question must have some thought pattern behind it. please let us know.    

He did not answer my post, I might be on to something.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  352
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I believe God inspired the authors of the Bible to write what HE wanted passed along to mankind, and that is what they did. This is what the bible tells us happened, and since I believe the Bible to be the word of God, I believe that statement. 

I think the 66 books are the right collection because I believe that God is capable of guiding humans to collect the proper books that He wanted collected into the bible. 

So why do you believe the Bible to be the word of God? 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, ruck1b said:

So why do you believe the Bible to be the word of God? 

Because the Bible says it is. 

18 hours ago, The_Patriot2016 said:

Well as a christian I model my beliefs off of the Bible. So, my answer, is that verse. If you don't like my answer I can't help you. My answer does not change.

As far as inconsistencies, there is a huge difference between the ones in the original 66 and the apocryphal. When one does a serious study especially taking into account the language differences, with the original 66 there really is no inconsistencies. Some minor stuff here and there, most of which are just translational issues. A lot arnt even inconsistencies but rather people's misunderstandings about how the book was written etc.

Not so with the apocryphal books. They contain not just translational issues but major and I mean MAJOR Doctrinal conflicts with the established books of the Bible.

Paul never stated that the Bible is the Word of God though.  Paul stated that all scripture is inspired.  Are you saying that the only inspired words from God are contained in those 66 books?  Are you saying that those 66 books are Gods word?   You say there are no inconsistencies?   I'm about to post something from exodus as an example.  Do you feel this is consistent with who God is showing himself to be?

Ex 21:20-21  When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Isaiah 40:8 NIV
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever. ”

18 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Well this is what six year old do, repeat the same question all the time.  You are all grown up by now, so if you expand on your question a bit to give a bit more insight of what you are after, we can respond or better address your question. 

So, let's see if we are getting somewhere.    The Bible is a compilation of written accounts that God has inspired men to write and has given men authority to do so. First to believe the Bible one must have faith and faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  

I think also, you want answers that is not inclusive of the bible.  But a believer cannot do that.

Listen, I wont get into the underhanded insults.  Either you want to participate in the conversation  or not.  It also seems that you didn't bother reading what I wrote because I expanded quite a bit on the questions I asked you.  Please refrain from further insults please.  If you can't do then we have nothing else left to discuss.  

20 hours ago, Sing40King said:

Your answer is in your question. The Bible is the Word of God. That's what we mean. Based on your  previous posts I think you're just here to argue every point anyone here makes. So far I am correct. The question you ask realy can't be answered because the question itself answers it. If you're asking for proof why we believe that is different.

Your answer is the exactly why I prefaced my initial post the way I did.   I wont begin to accuse you because I think you genuinely believe that is my motive. I do find it pretty sad that is your immediate assumption, especially since I have mainly asked questions.    I can only assure you that it is not and that I am asking these questions to pull on those here.    If you don't want to join in the answering of the questions and the dialog that can come from that then please feel free to ignore this thread. 

19 hours ago, eileenhat said:

This means it is The truth, as opposed to fiction (ideas, thoughts, theories).  His word last all of eternity, another way to view it ruck1b

In other words, the Bible is God's testament (his wisdom) handed down to us direct like....as in it does not come from man or his ideas.

I can understand that point of view.  However there are serious issues that I believe directly contradict who God is, so how do we reconcile some of those issues that we read  as being his testament (or will).