Neighbor

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

Its not like you try force hugh someone that doesnt like it :)  more look for whats comfy for them, their personality, well all in your power to love them without crossing them :)  the most actually dont know what love is and many hate themselves so Ive found many respond positive to just even a little. But yes some cant handle it but what did Jesus do? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

14 hours ago, Heavenunlimited said:

In some translations it say Jesus said follow the law AND love your neighbor like yourself.  And its not just something I say, where I come from all the bibles have it and NOT this with love. I get it though through the Spirit. But its veryy new to me.

what translations would that be?   I don't remember ever seeing that and my computer program has about 20 different translations.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

1st John 5.3 this is the love of God that we keep His commandments and they are not burdensome

1st John 2.4 those who say they know Him and keep not his commandments are liars and the truth is not in them

Matthew 19.17 Jesus says to enter into life keep the Commandments, and He goes on to identify the Ten commandments.

50 minutes ago, heretoeternity said:

1st John 5.3 this is the love of God that we keep His commandments and they are not burdensom

Speaking of the commandments that he gave us in the flesh.

1st John 2.4 those who say they know Him and keep not his commandments are liars and the truth is not in them

Still speaking of Jesus's two commandments

50 minutes ago, heretoeternity said:

Matthew 19.17 Jesus says to enter into life keep the Commandments, and He goes on to identify the Ten commandments.

but part of what he said is love your neighbor and that is not part of the ten commandments.  He is speaking to an individual person and explaining to him what "he" needed to do.   He also tole him to sell everything and give it to the poor.....   so are you supposing we all must do that to have eternal life, or was this something that this individual person had a problem with?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"The entire law of Christ depends upon charity. And charity depends on two precepts, one of which concerns loving God and the other concerns loving our neighbor.

Now God, in delivering the law to Moses, gave him Ten Commandments written upon two tablets of stone. Three of these Commandments that were written on the first tablet referred to the love of God; and the seven Commandments written on the other tablet related to the love of our neighbor. The whole law, therefore, is founded on these two precepts."

From a thesis on the Ten Commandments titled 

"EXPLANATION OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

by
Thomas Aquinas"  (Oh oh!) Hey just wait, I'm going to likely throw in some Wesley and some Spurgeon too, maybe even MacArthur and Piper.

A link to the thesis: http://dhspriory.org/thomas/english/TenCommandments.htm

12 hours ago, other one said:

Speaking of the commandments that he gave us in the flesh.

Still speaking of Jesus's two commandments

but part of what he said is love your neighbor and that is not part of the ten commandments.  He is speaking to an individual person and explaining to him what "he" needed to do.   He also tole him to sell everything and give it to the poor.....   so are you supposing we all must do that to have eternal life, or was this something that this individual person had a problem with?

What two commandments you talking about?  You still haven't answered me..guess you do not know them..? 

Edited by OneLight
Personal attacks are not acceptable. I removed your comment to Other One

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

"The entire law of Christ depends upon charity. And charity depends on two precepts, one of which concerns loving God and the other concerns loving our neighbor.

Now God, in delivering the law to Moses, gave him Ten Commandments written upon two tablets of stone. Three of these Commandments that were written on the first tablet referred to the love of God; and the seven Commandments written on the other tablet related to the love of our neighbor. The whole law, therefore, is founded on these two precepts."

From a thesis on the Ten Commandments titled 

"EXPLANATION OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

by
Thomas Aquinas"  (Oh oh!) Hey just wait, I'm going to likely throw in some Wesley and some Spurgeon too, maybe even MacArthur and Piper.

A link to the thesis: http://dhspriory.org/thomas/english/TenCommandments.htm

There were four commandments that covered "Love of God" and 6 Commandments that covered "love of neighbour'..however Rome  decided to only say there are three in the first part because they wanted to keep on worshipping their statues, so have to turf the second commandment and tben only had 3 in the first part..what a dilemma...so they split the tenth commandment into 2 to make ten again...voila..they change God's times and laws like they did in 323 AD.

36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

While the ten commandments depends on these two, those commandments do not encompass all of the two....  As I posted in the other threads you guys have started, you can keep the ten commandments all your life and never break a single one and still go to hell.  You will find examples of that in Matthew chapter 25.

It is very dangerous to push keeping the ten commandments for one can consider themselves safe when they truly are not.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

From the gifted word mastery that  is Spurgeon comes this introductionary premise regarding his exposition  of Exodus 20 titled

"The Mediator—The Interpreter"

and the Law  brought to the people Israel under Moses by God:

"Sometimes the near approach of the Lord fills His people with apprehension and alarm; and this sure to be the case when His coming includes a close application of the law to their hearts. We used to talk of "law-work" in days which are not past, and are by moderns looked upon with contempt; and, my brethren, our talk was not without good reason, for there is such a work, and it ministers greatly to our good. Certain servants of God, who had experienced this law-work to a very deep degree, fell into the error of regarding a marked measure of it as absolutely necessary to every child of God. We will avoid that evil, for it was a grievous cause of uncharitableness; but we will not conceal the fact that many souls, in coming to God, and in God's coming to them, have been made to feel a hewing and burning work from the law of God. The law has rent them in pieces, because they themselves have rent in pieces. The law has wrought in them a sense of bondage, burden, and despair. Even after we have fled for refuge to the hope set before us in the gospel, after we have a full assurance that our iniquities are put away, the Lord sometimes works in us a further work of the law, in which He makes us to see its exactness, its spirituality, strictness, and infinite compass. It is no little thing to see how the law judges the thoughts, desires, and imaginations of the heart. As the plummet of the holy law is held up, we see how out of the perpendicular we are, and we are therefore distressed. Brethren, when I have carefully considered, and inwardly perceived, the holiness of God's law, I have felt as though the sharp edge of a saber had been drawn across my heart, and I have shivered and trembled. Though the law did not actually cut or wound, yet its very presence, in all the keenness of its two edges, has made me shudder. So pure, so just, so uncompromising is the law of God, that when it is really understood, it makes us quail, and brings us to our knees. The law searches to the dividing asunder of joints and marrow, and it is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Its excessive light strikes us, like Saul of Tarsus, to the earth, and makes us cry for mercy, When you begin to judge yourself, and estimate your actions by its infallible rule, you cease from boasting, and are filled with self-abhorrence. I believe it to be one of the best means to growth in humility, to be well instructed in the law, in the force and power of it. No man knows the brightness of the gospel till he understands the blackness of those clouds which surround the law of the Lord. Much of the shallowness of current religion is the result of a failure to apprehend the demands of divine justice, and a want of clear perception of the heinousness of disobedience. Let but God set up the throne of His law in your heart, and make you feel the power of that law in any one item of your daily conduct, much more in the whole circle of your life, and you will feel as the Israelites did when they could not abide the presence of the Most High."

The fuller text is available at http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/2097.php

This is  not a list of ten commandments, it is a statement of the power of God and of fear upon His people,  the urgent need of a mediator, concluding with :

"I have said a great deal that must be very terrible to ungodly men, since it even tries the holiest. O my hearers, if you are unconverted, I do not suppose that the terrors of the Lord, even though they make you fear, will work any lasting good in you; for I remember that those very people who trembled at Sinai were found, in a very few weeks, madly dancing before a golden calf, and saying, "These be thy gods, O Israel, that brought thee up out of Egypt." Fear alone will work no saving or sanctifying effect on the heart. It plows, but it does not sow. In the child of God, mixed with faith, fear becomes a holy tonic, a salutary medicine; but, as for you who have cause for fear, there is something else for you. Flee to the Mediator, trust in Christ Jesus, who stands between man and God, look unto Him at once, and looking you shall live. To our adorable Mediator be glory forever and ever. Amen, and Amen."

Whether one finds agreement  or disagreement with Charles Spurgeon, I think it hard not to appreciate such  fine efforts made in service to His Lord and mine, our Lord and savior Jesus. One may concur or find dissonance, but one is unlikely to find indifference in his word smithing. It is so powerful as to be beyond the works of any other expositor, pastor and preacher, that I have ever heard or read. He leads this humble servant to studies beyond my normal tolerance and capacity, setting a very high standard that  is to me a blessing.

Praise God  for leaving me Spurgeon's thoughts and guidances on His word.

9 hours ago, other one said:

36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

While the ten commandments depends on these two, those commandments do not encompass all of the two....  As I posted in the other threads you guys have started, you can keep the ten commandments all your life and never break a single one and still go to hell.  You will find examples of that in Matthew chapter 25.

It is very dangerous to push keeping the ten commandments for one can consider themselves safe when they truly are not.

It is dangerous to keep saying God's ten commandments do not apply..it is dangerous, as it is false teaching.

The two great commandments are a summary of the ten commandments...how do you show love of God?  You keep His commandments...1st John 3.4...sin is transgression of God's Law..and 1st John 2.4 those that say they know Him and keep not His commandments are liars and the truth is not in them...1st John 5.3 this is the love of God that we keep His commandments and they are not burdensome.

3.13 Romans Paul said do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law.

2.13 Romans Paul said it is doer of the law that are justified.

I realize you will not read these, so will stop there with the Bible quotes.  The good thing is we all have free will to follow God and the teachings of Him and Jesus or not...I chose to follow Him and His commandments....

Edited by heretoeternity