HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

What are your thoughts on attending a church where you are clearly the youngest adult in your church with the next youngest being at least 15 years older than yourself?

I went to a church last Sunday, just loved it but the above is the case.

*Is it necessary that I be with my own age group for social purposes?

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Here is a thought- You may not have met the people your age. They may have been elsewhere.  Try a second visit and ask where are the people my age?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

Well sometimes when you get to know people even if they are older then you, you might find that they may have some things in common with you. It just take time to get to know people sometimes. 

Thanks Neighbour and LadyKay,

Well I actually loved it at this Church last Sunday and am going back again tomorrow.

What I should've said is, is it necessary to have folk in your age group at a church?

*Neighbour - the Church was full (small church), only the preacher wasn't present - was out of town meeting.

Just now, Yowm said:

Older people have a lot of wisdom to impart and should not be shunned, but ideally, it would be nice to have a mix of ages.

That would be nice but I find the bigger churches with more diverse age groups are very contemporary worship style, whereas I'm more conservative (for my age) . I wouldn't care if the church sat on the grass under shady trees, as long as the teaching was solid and Scriptural. 

Tbh, when I'm at Church, I really only want to hear the sermon - not sing songs repetitively for 30 minutes.

Just now, Yowm said:

Hmm, I find the bigger churches cater to the youth.

Yes, but I'm not in the youth category. (The pic is not me but a young Greta Garbo lol!)

I'm in a weird category, just turned 50, single mum to adult kids bar one older teen.

My past experiences as a younger single mum in churches hasn't been that great.

Just now, Yowm said:

So they are mostly over 65? Like I said, there is a lot of wisdom and experience in the aged, but sometimes it can be more of a social club if they are not born again.

Yes 65 and well over.

They have a Ukelele night (learn to play) and their Bible study group for women is during a week day which I can't do as I work.

So the social side is limited but I really only want to hear the sermon , although I do want to go to a Bible study night which they do at day.

Edited by HisFirst

Just now, Yowm said:

I'd say you're fine, just make sure the pastor is not a theological liberal, denying many miracles of Scripture including the inspiration of Scripture.

Absolutely!!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

55 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

That would be nice but I find the bigger churches with more diverse age groups are very contemporary worship style, whereas I'm more conservative (for my age) . I wouldn't care if the church sat on the grass under shady trees, as long as the teaching was solid and Scriptural. 

Tbh, when I'm at Church, I really only want to hear the sermon - not sing songs repetitively for 30 minutes.

Sounds cozy. :) Did you feel at home in the church your first visit? That's a great clue for me. If I feel as if I've just arrived in a place I know. Even when it is a first visit. Just that comfy embrace hard to describe otherwise feeling. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, HisFirst said:

Thanks Neighbour and LadyKay,

Well I actually loved it at this Church last Sunday and am going back again tomorrow.

What I should've said is, is it necessary to have folk in your age group at a church?

*Neighbour - the Church was full (small church), only the preacher wasn't present - was out of town meeting.

"Our" church is packed too, the sanctuary is filled. In there it looks like on average to be a group of us older people, because we have another two hundred of us in other buildings, many  teaching younger people in children's programs, high school programs, careers classes, and families classes. It takesa large number of us to teach and assist, most are family raising age or young adults of college age.

But to the other part of your question; of course you would be more than welcomed at our local body  of Christ, by all members and attendees regardless of age.  Can't imagine it isn't the same where you are trying to see if you are being led there by the Holy Spirit.