ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Unbelievable, you people are all doctors right? You're all more qualified than the all the PHD's in that have examined her?.....If the doctors say she is brain dead and has been so without improvement for 10 years who are you all to say differently?

Waves

If you want to get technical, I am a doctor in the medical field. Regardless, it doesnt take a "PhD" to see from the videos that she isnt brain dead. If she is as far gone as her "husband" says, why cant someone like CNN go in and videotape her to prove his point? Oh thats right, he refuses to allow others to tape her. I wonder why.......perhaps she is not as bad off as he claims she is.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Unbelievable, you people are all doctors right? You're all more qualified than the all the PHD's in that have examined her?.....If the doctors say she is brain dead and has been so without improvement for 10 years who are you all to say differently?

Waves

If you want to get technical, I am a doctor in the medical field.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jayde,

As a doctor, could you answer my question concerning water pills and the depletion of potassium in the body?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Without getting into the issue of whether or not Terri was physically abused, I have a question to anyone in the medical field about the affects of water pills on the body.  I have heard that water pills either directly deplete potassium in the body, or cause the body to not be able to synthesize potassium.  Potassium depletion could have caused Terri's physical ailment leading to her so-called "Permanent Vegitative State" (I am not convinced that she is in such a state given the evidence from the videos and some expert testimony for Terri's parents).

It stands to reason for me that if there are some allegations of abuse, and given the fact that as a registered nurse Michael could have had access to these drugs, that he would want Terri dead in order to cover up any evidence.  But a lot of this is speculation, so I would like to hear from any registered nurses and/or physicians on the boards, if it is possible to administer water pills in lethal doses in order to cause the type of physical ailment that led to Terri's condition in the first place.

Ooops, sorry Ovedya. I meant to respond but forgot.

Diuretics (water pills) can cause potassium depletion. Potassium helps regulate the heart. If he administered it in lethal doses, she would have had a heart attack. That is what is used in lethal injection for execution. Potassium is something that is among the standard things looked for in the basic blood tests when a patient is in the hospital or at a doctors office.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

I cant figure why Mike Schiavo wont just turn over the guardianship to her parents?He can simply get a divorce and go on with his life.Maybe he's hoping for a movie deal in the near future :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I just posted this on "have your say" at the BBC web site. In a nutshell it sums up how I feel about it.

I would be curious to know what Steven Hawkins would think about this case. To look at him you would have thought he too was brain dead. I personaly don't think the final decision should belong to any one person. But I can see why the public want the government to stay out of it. For decades men have tried so hard to prevent governments from making moral decisions for the public, that they fear they have now removed morality from the governments. I lament the fact it has taken "an act of congress" to save her from certain death. I can only imagine that for her husband, this way is much easier than a divorce.

My last statement may have been a bit direct. I do not meen to imply this is what Mike Schaivo is feeling but to offer it as a possibilty. He has spent the last 7 years trying to have her feeding tube removed. Is it an act of mercy? or the key to freedom?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I have heard that water pills either directly deplete potassium in the body, or cause the body to not be able to synthesize potassium. Potassium depletion could have caused Terri's physical ailment leading to her so-called "Permanent Vegitative State"

Ovedya, Terri had an eating disorder. Specifically, bulimia. People with eating disorders, and especially Bulimics, "purge". That is accomplished in many ways - vomiting, laxatives and water pills. That is why Terri had a heart attack.

I am very torn about this case and am not solid in my opinions, and am certainly no fan of Michael (husband), but I think we need to be very careful not to believe everything that comes down the pike. I have read BOTH sides of the story. Terri's parents are not exactly "clean" in everything they have said and accused either. Michael might be a real jerk (at the least), and may be only interested in money, and may have been a lousy husband, but Terri had a heart attack because she had an eating disorder and her electrolytes and potassium and a host of other things were severely imbalanced.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Waves

If you want to get technical, I am a doctor in the medical field. Regardless, it doesn't take a "PhD" to see from the videos that she isnt brain dead. If she is as far gone as her "husband" says, why cant someone like CNN go in and videotape her to prove his point? Oh thats right, he refuses to allow others to tape her. I wonder why.......perhaps she is not as bad off as he claims she is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My understanding is that the video tapes we are seeing on the internet and on TV, are not recent, but in fact over 12 years old.

So, it is not possible to make an accurate diagnosis, based on these video tapes.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

Waves

If you want to get technical, I am a doctor in the medical field. Regardless, it doesn't take a "PhD" to see from the videos that she isnt brain dead. If she is as far gone as her "husband" says, why cant someone like CNN go in and videotape her to prove his point? Oh thats right, he refuses to allow others to tape her. I wonder why.......perhaps she is not as bad off as he claims she is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My understanding is that the video tapes we are seeing on the internet and on TV, are not recent, but in fact over 12 years old.

So, it is not possible to make an accurate diagnosis, based on these video tapes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the videos were taken in 2001 and were done so AGAINST a court order Michael had put in place to "protect" Terri's privacy :thumbsup:

The only justice I find is knowing that some day this man will have to face God with these matters.

God Bless,

Dave

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Actually the videos were taken in 2001 and were done so AGAINST a court order Michael had put in place to "protect" Terri's privacy

And so they were taken illegally, and we can believe the people who took them and say they are as recent as 2001?

OK, even if taken in 2001. That was 4 years ago. Is she still in the same condition as the video tapes show? The court appointed doctors, say no.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

....at what point is it okay to withdraw life sustaining measures?