IGNORED

Can someone tell me about the Church of Christ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't know of any Church of Christ that is part of the group that the Campbell started that use musical instruments.   It is a core part of their belief that because nothing in the Bible gives us the authority to do so.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

This is a fairly good overview from my experience of being a member and being a part of it twice in life. Once from 1947 to 1965, the other 1990 to 1995.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

6 hours ago, other one said:

I don't know of any Church of Christ that is part of the group that the Campbell started that use musical instruments.   It is a core part of their belief that because nothing in the Bible gives us the authority to do so.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

This is a fairly good overview from my experience of being a member and being a part of it twice in life. Once from 1947 to 1965, the other 1990 to 1995.

you dont see many down south, but they do exist. I used to be a member of one when I lived in nebraska.

1 hour ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

you dont see many down south, but they do exist. I used to be a member of one when I lived in nebraska.

they would not be considered part of the Churches of Christ by the rest of the group for that is a core belief of what they believe about the Bible itself.  I had coffee with my old preacher this morning and that was what he told me.

17 minutes ago, other one said:

they would not be considered part of the Churches of Christ by the rest of the group for that is a core belief of what they believe about the Bible itself.  I had coffee with my old preacher this morning and that was what he told me.

like I said, they dont talk to those who are instrumental, even though oftentimes doctrinally, they are identical. many, have a hard time talking to themselves, thats one of the biggest issues I have with them. The sad part about it, is they dont realize that the reason they are non instrumental had nothing to do with the Bible but necessity.

3 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

like I said, they dont talk to those who are instrumental, even though oftentimes doctrinally, they are identical. many, have a hard time talking to themselves, thats one of the biggest issues I have with them. The sad part about it, is they dont realize that the reason they are non instrumental had nothing to do with the Bible but necessity.

I would disagree with that....  

1 hour ago, other one said:

I would disagree with that....  

All the CoCs originally used instruments. The reason they stopped, was during the civil war they became hard, if not impossible, to come by, even after the war, they were scarce, and after awhile tradition, took over. Now a days, many have tried to scripturalize it, and honestly believe it is for scriptural reasons, but history remains it is tradition, not scripture.

As for them not getting along also a true fact.  When I was in scottsbluff we had 4 CoCs in the area (not counting the united CoC) 2 were instrumental 2 were non instrumental.

Of those, one non instrumental would work with out of town CoCs but had nothing to do with any of the in town CoCs. The other non instrumental wouldn't talk to anyone, same with one of the instrumental ones. Of the 4 only one, a instrumental, made any attempt to get along with other churches in town, and it did a pretty good job, it connected with the Christian churches of the area (very similar to the CoC) and supported the Bible college where I went. Also had many good outreach programs. 

Our local CoC is non-instrumental, and like many, won't associate with any other churches in our town, including the Christian Church just down the road, even though their doctrine is literally identical, except for the use of instruments.

This is repeated country wide. You will see some that arnt like that, that do work with others. You will see some that are instrumental. What you won't find is any consistency, because of the lack of a central government. Which, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does have its drawbacks.

The problem isn't just in the CoC, the town I live in now has 5 southern Baptist churches, (which do have a central government) and we barely speak to each other. I think, churches as a whole, have become way to divided over the years, and its not for the better.

The core teaching has from the start no instruments . The reason they do not associate with them at least the three I am familiar with is that to them it is a matter of salvation.  As I was told since this thread started.  The core churches consider the instrument using churches not part of the Churches of Christ so their members do not qualify for heaven.

The way it was put to me is, "you can call a petunia a rose, but it is still a petunia".

If they have instruments they are not a "Church of Christ".

5 minutes ago, other one said:

The core teaching has from the start no instruments . The reason they do not associate with them at least the three I am familiar with is that to them it is a matter of salvation.  As I was told since this thread started.  The core churches consider the instrument using churches not part of the Churches of Christ so their members do not qualify for heaven.

that is incorrect my friend. Many CoCs teach they didnt originally-but many do not know their actual history. You will never see a non instrumental CoC admit that the reason they dont, had more the do with lack of instruments then any scriptural reason. Many don't even know, they honestly believe it has more to do with the belief the early church did not use instruments.

It doesnt bother me if they do, or do not, use instruments. Either way, im perfectly ok. I just have problems with the fact they wont associate with other churches that do. Its not a "biblical" doctrine to use, or not use instruments, by any stretch of the imagination, regardless of how it got started.

1 hour ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

that is incorrect my friend. Many CoCs teach they didnt originally-but many do not know their actual history. You will never see a non instrumental CoC admit that the reason they dont, had more the do with lack of instruments then any scriptural reason. Many don't even know, they honestly believe it has more to do with the belief the early church did not use instruments.

It doesnt bother me if they do, or do not, use instruments. Either way, im perfectly ok. I just have problems with the fact they wont associate with other churches that do. Its not a "biblical" doctrine to use, or not use instruments, by any stretch of the imagination, regardless of how it got started.

And maybe it's just a story the others tell to try and make it ok....   

So I still respectfully disagree....