IGNORED

THE MODESTY DEBATE

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I  find the words "most intelligent people" has a very demeaning quality to it.

Only because you choose to spin it that way.

As aforementioned, I am saying a good alternative is needed, but the extreme response to cover up to excess like a nun is what people end up doing, because the regular clothing you describe as ideal is not agreed upon by many. There are people who want to stretch it one way or the other, and yes clothing stores have what you might call regular, but there people who wear jeans without belts to reveal underwear, there are women who buy v neck shirts to show their bosoms and so forth. Who gets to decide what's regular? That's the big question. If we are all allowed our individual concept of modesty (hello post-modernism) then you are going to run into people who wear some really revealing outfits, but if there is a council or board of Clothing for the country, then you are living under a sort of totalitarianism. Neither is a great answer, and still how to define, agree upon, and then institute modesty is a headache.

I just don't think people are that obtuse about what modesty means.  I don't think that the average person has that hard of a time understanding modest attire.   I do think a lot of people don't care about modesty and think that wearing revealing clothing is all that wrong.  They are indifferent and they end up bringing that indifference into our churches and it is a problem.  

Paul addresses this kind of issue in I Corinthians where he deals with men wearing long hair.   There were male prostitutes getting saved and coming into the congregations in Corinth.    The male prostitutes of Corinth wore their hair long and in a very effeminate manner.   They were trying to look like women and they would hang out at the piers and wait for the incoming sailors who would be sex-starved and they often serviced them. They also served the men who were the regular citizens of Corinth.

Paul instructs them to cut their hair.  He doesn't want them to lead men into temptation, as that was a real problem.  Corinth was the most immoral city on earth and the Corinthian believers, as Paul's problem church, had issues about how they were to relate to their new faith and how they were to relate to the culture they had left behind to follow Jesus.   They still lived in the immoral city and no doubt had a lot of temptation to return to their former lives.

Paul can't do anything about Corinth, but he can address how they should appear in the congregations and how they should behave as believers.   So, Paul is telling the men to cut their hair.   He is also telling the women, some of whom were former priestesses of the Oracles of Delphi, to wear a vale over their heads until their hair had grown out, as the priestesses of the Oracle shaved their heads.   Paul wants them to no longer at all, identify with the culture they had been saved out of.

We should not blend in with the world. There ought to be something different about us in every context, whether it is using pure speech and avoiding profanity, the attitudes of our hearts, the purity of our dress and other areas of conduct, there should be something about us that stands out as different, in a positive way.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.66
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Now "we" worry and tsk tsk  about attire at church, as though it is different from attire elsewhere. 

Well, yes it is different than I would wear in public situations.   Church attire is different from gym attire and beach attire.   When I am running to the grocery store I might throw on an old pair of shorts and t-shirt but I would not wear those to church.  

6 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Dont get me wrong here, I am not saying we all have to dress like amish folks...

You are the second one to say this, so my question to you since it was not answered by the other person, is why not dress like the amish?  Perhaps their sense of modesty is the biblical example and all of us are failing to follow it.   If the Amish look at you and judge you to be immodest, are they wrong?   

Can you, or anyone tell me why not dress like the Amish is the goal is biblical modesty?  Are the Amish unbiblical? 

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I keep reading the theme everyone has a different modesty standard.  This reminded me about a part in the bible where it says something to the effect than man did what was right in his own eyes.  And if one keeps reading we see it didnt work out so well for man. 

The original clothes ever made for man kind was to cover up nakedness.  You can read all about it in the book of genesis. The original clothes were to cover up our nakedness so man and woman wouldnt be ashamed and embarrassed.  My my my, how far we have come.  Society now, trys thru dress not to cover but to reveal.  And its not only accepted but its so ingrained that its normal.  dressing modestly is definitely not "in" and we just cant be unpopular now can we?  O the scorn.  I am being sarcastic, in case anyone didnt pick up on that.

And even more those who dress un modestly KNOW they are doing it, they may not realize it but they do know.  Ever see a female in a skimpy skirt steadily trying to pull it down?  or keep pulling her shirt down to make sure that certain things are covered?   And then complain about how their skirt is riding up on them.  Dont get me wrong here, I am not saying we all have to dress like amish folks or have a dress code, dresssing modestly can be nice, and fashionable  but if your clothes dont cover you up and they reveal more of you than they cover, you are not dressing modestly. 

Exactly!  Well said

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, Cletus said:

You can read all about it in the book of genesis. The original clothes were to cover up our nakedness so man and woman wouldnt be ashamed and embarrassed. 

So we should wear fig leaves?  LOL I'm just being funny. :24: Anyway where would I find fig leaves around here?  I feel well covered. Even in shorts and a t-shirt, or my swim suit. No one is see anything they shouldn't. :1:

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Running Gator said:

You are the second one to say this, so my question to you since it was not answered by the other person, is why not dress like the amish?  Perhaps their sense of modesty is the biblical example and all of us are failing to follow it.   If the Amish look at you and judge you to be immodest, are they wrong?   

Can you, or anyone tell me why not dress like the Amish is the goal is biblical modesty?  Are the Amish unbiblical? 

Yes, they are unbiblical.  The Amish have a near cult mentality.  I would not hold them up as an example for anything biblical.

55 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Years ago when I wore a bikini I did not think there was anything wrong with it. Since then I have changed.

I changed because I had a baby and got fat. ROFL!  

39 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

And how many of them would be committed followers of Jesus?

My guess would be you would have to talk to them to find out. 

11 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I keep reading the theme everyone has a different modesty standard.  This reminded me about a part in the bible where it says something to the effect than man did what was right in his own eyes.  And if one keeps reading we see it didnt work out so well for man. 

I do not know if you travel much, but I do.  I have been to Africa on a mission trip and their modesty standard is very different than ours.   Which is the right one?  

I have been to the Philippines on multiple occasions and the Christians there have a different modest standards than we do in the US.  What makes ours right and theirs wrong?

Below is a picture of the modest standards of not that long ago,  that is not the standard of today, which one is right if different standards are akin to doing what is right in the eyes of man?

web726_2.jpg

Just now, Cletus said:

The amish for years wouldnt use anything not powered by a horse.  and wouldnt use electricity.  However they are starting to come around lately.  basicly its not the 1800s anymore. 

If the amish dress that way to honor God thats wonderful.  I dont think thats how i will dress though.  I dont think the amish are unbiblical, perhaps set in their ways, and I mean no offense to any amish folk out there.  But its true. 

By their standards 99.9% of us are immodest in our attire.  Are they wrong?  Or do they just happen to have a different, more strict, standard that most of the rest of us?