IGNORED

How is the number 666 derived in our English bibles?

Ed J

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1977

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Therefore it would take some wisdom, some knowledge of the two languages and the awareness of the times, and perhaps need for secrecy or code, as well as who the audience  of the letter were, and what languages they would understand in order for it to make sense that  the value of the name would be based upon the values of the letters of that name in Hebrew. And then assuming all that , there is the issue of how is 666 derived is it 600, 60, and 6, or maybe 600,10, and 6; or is it 6.6.6 or even 6.1.6

All of the above is just a thought!

Howdy Neighbor,

Letters converted to numbers, and words converted to numbers. How do you know you arrive at the right total?

.and is there a word for doing this?

Ed J

Edited by Ed J
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

I found something while reading the bible.   Of course I believe the six hundred three score and six , is perhaps tied into his name.

But anyway.  Remember when John gives the definition of an anti Christ.................he say they were once of us, but went out

so that it would be manifest they were not of us.

In the gospel of John it says...............From that time many of his desicples went back, and walked no more with Him.   that would seem to also sum up

an anti Christ.   what is odd, is that it is john chapter SIX verse SIXTY SIX........................not saying its the mark of the beast

but I just thought it strange that it summed up what john had said about antit christs.

the number six six six..................I Think Might be as what another said...............perhaps a way of figuring out maybe the name of it.  Maybe , not sure .

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

But the comparison is with those 'older' (but fewer) texts that had 616 and the 'later' (but more attested texts) that had 666. 

I'm not sure how Strongs plays into that.

i dont know i read the older ones have some arimatic influence and the ones at the vatican ill give the link is the authintic.

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

But the comparison is with those 'older' (but fewer) texts that had 616 and the 'later' (but more attested texts) that had 666. 

I'm not sure how Strongs plays into that.

http://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Vat.gr.1209

1 hour ago, Ed J said:

Howdy Neighbor,

Letters converted to numbers, and words converted to numbers. How do you know you arrive at the right total?

Ed J

i dont think its a  sum or total:) 

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I have been "curious"  to the point of  studying  God's use of numbers in the Bible, in calendars, in astronomy, and in creation itself.

I have spent quite some  time  with Ed.F.Vallowe's work "Keys to Scripture Numerics".  I did a two year numeric's study of the great pyramid with God's angry man Gene Scott, and a one year long study of the numeric's of Psalm 119 under a local Christian college professor of whom I have great appreciation, and have studied calendars and numbers  through the work's of Remy Landau Hebrew's Calendar Science and Myths, plus some   creation science, with Zola Levitt and Gerald Schroeder, and a local  Christian College professor, all are a short list of interests over time.

I have likely forgotten most all details of those studies, and am left with just the conclusions reached, if any, in doing the studies themselves.

In general; though very very fascinating, I find no effect on my faith one way or another has occurred as result of any of the studies.

I confess spending a year on Psalm 119 was a kick, as was my time with the crazied Gene Scott.

As to the question about "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.", no I have not done a study I would think of as an original study. I have read the work of several individuals and can likely copy/paste from  their works with the best of the copy/pasters on boards, but no real study of my own.

It's revelation 13:18, but really all of 13 keeping in mind there were no verses in the original writings under the inspiration of God. I personally think that  versification of the Bible is a plague upon the holy work of God in that  there is then tendency to quote an isolated  verse instead of at least an entire  passage or an  entire book or series of correlating  books of the Bible when reaching and declaring a point of view or understanding.

good thing life is coming to christ not seaching the scriptures to find it:) we would be in trouble if we had to find eternal life in them.. there are so many that translate to suport pre desided doctrin.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,567
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, Ed J said:

Howdy Neighbor,

Ed J

Hi ya Ed J,

There is a word. I am sure I don't want to use it often for the simple reason  that the  study of numerics or numerology can become just that, a study of numbers instead of God. Satan is an imitator and a counterfeiter. He too can use numerology as a diversion in his ministry of distraction from the word of God leading  the saints in Christ  as well as the unbelieving world astray.

That said yes Numerics in the Bible is  an awesome matter. It does help all but the most hardened heart to see that  the hand of the Holy Spirit must be in the writing of the Bible. For the numerics of it to play out over so many eras and through so many human hands writing it.

The unfortunate  part of it is the tendency of some to play the numerics up to suit their own ideas, and  promotion of some cockamamie theory and prophecy, with the goal of self promotion, rather than reading  praying and studying the word of God incorporating the numerics of it.

God's angry man Gene Scott did just that with his study of the numerics of the Bible as compared to the math within the great pyramid, and the idea that the pyramid is a monument, a calendar, and a prophetic declaration. That in itself is most fascinating, but he used it  to promote self, and sadly eventually went far from God IMO.

As to raw numerics, if you can find a copy of Keys To Scripture Numerics by Ed. F. Vallowe, I think you will see a good introduction to how math within the Bible does fit as  a proof of inspiration, and as an indication of the science that is God's creation as well as God's good purposes.

The math of music as expressed within the 119th Psalm is rather amazing. Just look it up online in Hebrew. You might see the math, within the flow, even without undertanding Hebrew. Once you know it covers the letters of the alphabet, and that each stanza is of a particular letter in order, and has the numerics of that letter in the stanza, as well as the overall totality of it having numeric values that confirm the meanings of the Psalm compared with other writings  that comprise the Bible that have in words the same meaning numerically, it does become rather fascinating. And, all written over rather vast peroids of time by different human hands under inspiration of God the Holy Spirit. 

ONCE AGAIN, none of that  was or is necessary to understanding the word of God, nor for being brought to repentance of sin against God into one's bowing a knee to Jesus as Lord God and savior. It is just that God is awesome in every manner in all of what He does.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,567
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Ed J said:

Howdy Neighbor,

Ed J

Arriving at a right total. Hmm, Ed my personal thought is that  like all of the Bible one arrives at what is right by study and prayer along with reading it.  

As example: If I read a short passage or a verse and have an aha! moment, some enlightenment, yet cannot find support of it elsewhere in the Bible that will  confirm my own great aha thought, it is just a weak opinion, one not to be relied upon.

Same with the math; if I  find the number eleven in" judgements and disorder" only in the plagues upon Egypt, it is of no significance. It is just a counting  of plagues. BUT if I find it 24 times in the word of God written by the hands of men over many centuries, I might want to conclude God's inspiration is at work and that the number 11 is indeed associated with Judgement and disorder.

BUT; if I go about trying to force a number to fit, by giving a value to a word in order to justify what I want the word and the passage to mean, I am then in trouble, for I  no longer am reading and studying, I am instead contriving.

In short; I believe the Bible to be self confirming. If there is no confirmation of my conclusions about a passage book or verse to be found in other writings within the Bible, then I might as well dismiss my conclusion as being weak at best and false or even fallacious at worst.

Edited by Neighbor

4 hours ago, Yowm said:

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.(Rev 13:18).

It really doesn't say 'the number of the beast' but 'the number of man'. There is no indefinite article in Greek. 

We do see in Scripture the number 6 refers to man and thus 666 would refer to a false human trinity of sorts. It will be a God denying humanistic system.

This goes along with...

Dan_11:36  And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

i dont think it is 666:) i dont know what it is yet but im pretty sure 666 isnt it.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, Ed J said:

Hi Everyone,

How is the number 666 (in Rev.13:18) derived in our English bibles?

Ed J

Hi Ed,

There are a number of places multiple sixes appear in some form in the bible. Yowm pointed out "the number of a man" and quoted an old testament scripture. He's pointing in a wise direction. Understanding what the scriptures are saying where this number appears is important. Daniel is a great place to start with the image set up for all to worship. Goliath and his armor barer is another and Solomons wealth and throne is another. 

Because of the multiple sixes in the old testament more than likely the Revelation number is 666 but more importantly is the character of the man and we have the sum of the word to understand that and have wisdom. The place to start is back in the root, the old testament.

Edited by Zemke