Jump to content
GApeach678

Did I just recieve the gift of tongues?

Recommended Posts

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:41 AM, Waggles said:

YES you have not received the gift of tongues but rather you have received the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

You have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. 

When a person genuinely receives the Holy Spirit the Bible evidence for this is praying in tongues. 

It is your personal prayer language whereby the Holy Spirit and your spirit join together and directly 

communicates to Jesus and your Father. 

It is powerful and wholesome, and will deliver to you many blessings, healings and miracles. 

Pray in the morning - half an hour is a good start. Pray also at other times as you can.

The Holy Spirit is a Spirit of power and will help teach you of Jesus and the gospel. 

Do not confuse the sign given to believers when they receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, as opposed 

to the gift of diversity of tongues - which is a voice gift that operates at a worship meeting (to be 

followed by interpretation). 

You will now also need to be water baptized by full immersion to complement your Holy Spirit 

baptism. You must be born new by water and the Spirit. 

Start reading your NT with fresh eyes and the Spirit will give you understanding. 

Pray to Jesus to lead you to a Pentecostal church that has His blessing and approval. 

Welcome to the body of Christ and the church of God. 

I agree with you that this is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, not the gift of tongues.  Paul spoke of praying in the tongues of men and of angels.  He said he would pray in the Spirit and with the understanding.  Praying is not the same as giving out a message to the church that requires and interpreter.  We don't always know what we should pray for, but the Spirit does, so you are given a prayer language that you cannot understand, and the Spirit will pray through you directly to God for your true needs, and also to give praise to God.  MG mentioned not needing an intercessor.  We don't in the sense of having to go before a Priest to confess our sins, and have him pray to God on our behalf.  That is not the reason for tongues.  I am Pentecostal, so I understand what is taking place, and it is real.  

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/1/2017 at 9:09 PM, Guest said:

Speaking in tongues is a different language that other human beings speak and it was used to preach to those whom spoke a different language. . It is also to be used in the order that scripture dictates and that is with interpreters.  All other tongues is NOT biblical.

 

Hello Guest

There are in addition to known tongues which you indicate tongues of angles.  I Cor. 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Notice that it is possible to speak in tongues without any profit.  If someone is speaking in either known or unknown tongues without love there is no profit to the individual, they are just making noise.  

Edited by seeking the lost
grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, GApeach678 said:

About 7 months ago I was laying down and praying in the back of my truck and I had my first experience with tongues in my entire 5 year Christian walk... all of a sudden my tongue started to ''roll'' in my mouth and my jaw started making strange movements... then I just blurted out tongues for about 5-10 seconds and that was it. I had never done it before that or even desired to.

 

About a week ago I prayed for the gift of tongues but didn't think too much about it. Today, while I was praying out loud regularly, I started talking with a lisp... and for a few minutes I started sticking my tongue out of my mouth, unable to speak clearly, almost spitting everywhere, I had no idea what was going on... then the praying in tongues came out again, this time for over 20 minutes.

Do I have the gift of tongues? Or are these just random occurrences? What was your experience with tongues like? I can't do it on command, it seems to be only spirit led... Is this normal?

Please follow my new thread "You should strive to speak in tongues.'  Here let me just say this: I am a lifelong charismatic and have both spoken in authentic tongues and in retrospect realize that I somes spoke in tongues "of the flesh."  But in one of my most convincing early instances, the experience was the most electrifying and life-changing experience of my life.  I will describe it in my thread.  I'm convinced that the real thing can be so convincing, so poserful, so loving, and so life-changing that it makes it worthwhile to wade through all the false manifestations to get to the real thing.  In fact, I'm so skeptical by nature that I doubt I would even be a Christian today, were it not for one particular tongues experience.  In that experience a Lutheran pastor interrupted me and told me that he didn't believe in tongues.  But I simply touched him gently and the Holy Spirit overpowered him and he literally exploded in tongues!

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, KiwiChristian said:

Tongues were classed as one of the lowest gifts. 
    In 1 Corinthians 12:28 tongues are mentioned last in a list of 8 gifts. These are ranked in order of importance because we have "first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." 
2.     God gives the gifts "according to his own will," not according to our seeking. 
    "Gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will." Hebrews 2:4. 
    1 Corinthians 12:8-11 lists 9 gifts, the last being tongues and interpretation of tongues: 

"For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gift of healing by the same spirit,…. But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

Note: Tongues were spoken on 3 occasions in Acts (2:4; 10:46; 19:6), but on none of these occasions are the recipients seeking, waiting or expecting to speak in tongues. At Pentecost, only the Apostles (12) spoke in tongues, but all who were saved (3000) received the Holy Spirit (2:38,39).

a)     "Covet earnestly the best gifts”(12:31); tongues are not the best gifts, but one of the least gifts.14:1 
b)     Spiritual gifts could be desired (14:1) but not claimed in faith as a birthright. There is no command to seek them. 
3.    Most modern tongues are a learned behaviour. 

The gifts do come from God and God does not give junk.  All the gifts of God are good and perfect.

James 1: 16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Even if it is the least of the gifts it is still a good gift and for purpose.  The purpose that we cannot quantify or qualify in our carnal minds.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, seeking the lost said:

The gifts do come from God and God does not give junk.  All the gifts of God are good and perfect.

James 1: 16 Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Even if it is the least of the gifts it is still a good gift and for purpose.  The purpose that we cannot quantify or qualify in our carnal minds.

You are missing the point.

 

You are ASSUMING God has given this person this "gift".

 

Sorry, gibber-gabber is NOT "tongues".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 4:42 AM, KiwiChristian said:

You are missing the point.

 

You are ASSUMING God has given this person this "gift".

 

Sorry, gibber-gabber is NOT "tongues".

 

 

The day of Pentecost was the day that the gift was manifest and on that day there were many that mocked.  The account of that day is given in the book of Acts chapter two.

The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

Peter Addresses the Crowd

14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

Notice that Peter addresses the group that thought these were drunk with wine.  These people were sure that what they heard was gibber-gabber such as when someone has to much wine.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2018 at 4:42 AM, KiwiChristian said:

You are missing the point.

 

You are ASSUMING God has given this person this "gift".

 

Sorry, gibber-gabber is NOT "tongues".

 

 

I've read all your posts from the beginning and have a question for you. When you hear someone speaking a language you don't understand - say in the heart of Africa, does it NOT sound like gibberish or fast mubblings? Well, guess what? God understands them.

The key verse that all passages MUST line up with, including Acts 2, is at the beginning of the chapter on  the difference between the two manifestations of tongues from the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

The things that you have been claiming about tongues, completely go against this rule, and it is time your thinking adjusts to line up with Scripture.

You claim a human person who knows the language spoken must be present.  Can't you see how your statement flies in complete opposition to the rule? And how your breaking the rule colors your whole belief on all other passages in Acts? By the way, 1 Corinthians was written around 15 years before Luke wrote Acts. I would wager you believe that in Acts 2, the apostles who were speaking in tongues were speaking the different languages of the devout Jews, and those Jews heard their own languages naturally? That is not what it says, but your colored glasses may erroneously see it that way. Contradicting a rule will have a domino affect on your understanding anything on the subject.

What is funny is there are even Pentecostals who believe as you do. They try to make their understanding of Acts 2, which comes first in the NT, and make the rule line up with the story, instead of the other way around.😮

 

 

Edited by Philadelphianlady
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philadelphianlady said:

I've read all your posts from the beginning and have a question for you. When you hear someone speaking a language you don't understand - say in the heart of Africa, does it NOT sound like gibberish or fast mubblings? Well, guess what? God understands them.

 

Of course. it is a KNOWN language. It will be Swahili, AMHARIC, YORUBA, OROMO, HAUSA, etc.

 

gibber gabber is NOT a KNOWN language.

 

 

10 hours ago, Philadelphianlady said:

The key verse that all passages MUST line up with, including Acts 2, is at the beginning of the chapter on  the difference between the two manifestations of tongues from the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

"in the spirit he speaks mysteries." Have you heard the phrase "in the spirit of friendship", "in the spirit of love", etc?

 

10 hours ago, Philadelphianlady said:

The things that you have been claiming about tongues, completely go against this rule, and it is time your thinking adjusts to line up with Scripture.

You claim a human person who knows the language spoken must be present.  Can't you see how your statement flies in complete opposition to the rule? And how your breaking the rule colors your whole belief on all other passages in Acts? By the way, 1 Corinthians was written around 15 years before Luke wrote Acts. I would wager you believe that in Acts 2, the apostles who were speaking in tongues were speaking the different languages of the devout Jews, and those Jews heard their own languages naturally? That is not what it says, but your colored glasses may erroneously see it that way. Contradicting a rule will have a domino affect on your understanding anything on the subject.

What is funny is there are even Pentecostals who believe as you do. They try to make their understanding of Acts 2, which comes first in the NT, and make the rule line up with the story, instead of the other way around.😮

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

gibber gabber is NOT a KNOWN language.

But that's the point! Tongues are legitimate languages, but a person of that language doesn't have to be there. You don't know EVERY language of earth or heaven. That's the danger of calling a language "gibber babber" when you are ignorant of a thousand languages that sound that way to us not of that region, or even that ancient age. What language did Adam speak? What language do the angels speak to each other? Are they mute?

10 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

"in the spirit he speaks mysteries." Have you heard the phrase "in the spirit of friendship", "in the spirit of love", etc?

Are you kidding?

As for the rest of your post. You quoted what else I said, but with no comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 3:05 AM, MadHermit said:

Please follow my new thread "You should strive to speak in tongues.'  Here let me just say this: I am a lifelong charismatic and have both spoken in authentic tongues and in retrospect realize that I somes spoke in tongues "of the flesh."  But in one of my most convincing early instances, the experience was the most electrifying and life-changing experience of my life.  I will describe it in my thread.  I'm convinced that the real thing can be so convincing, so poserful, so loving, and so life-changing that it makes it worthwhile to wade through all the false manifestations to get to the real thing.  In fact, I'm so skeptical by nature that I doubt I would even be a Christian today, were it not for one particular tongues experience.  In that experience a Lutheran pastor interrupted me and told me that he didn't believe in tongues.  But I simply touched him gently and the Holy Spirit overpowered him and he literally exploded in tongues!

That does not jive with how Paul says a message in tongues should be given.

1 Corinthians 14:27-33  27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.  28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.  29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.  30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.  31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.  32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets.  33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints,
 

You gave a message in tongues and did not wait for an interpretation.  That was a violation of the scriptures above.

There is no way, according to scripture above, that the Holy Spirit would "overpower" a person and force them to give a message.  The Holy Spirit does not operate in that way.

Was an interpretation given for either your message or the Lutheran pastor's message?  If not, you violated the above scriptures and you should have stopped the ecstatic utterances immediately.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×