• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  5

5 minutes ago, Benevolent said:

Hungering and Thirsting for God

By Dave Butts

Hunger and thirst are natural expressions of the basic human desire and need for food and water. One of the clear indicators that something is wrong physically is when we lose our appetite. It is the same spiritually. To hunger and thirst for God is at the very root of our being. It’s the way God made us. When there is no hunger for the presence of God, it is an indicator that something is wrong spiritually. Because that hunger is so basic to human nature, it often finds fulfillment in other areas rather than in seeking God. Much as eating unhealthy junk food can dull physical appetite, so that which is not of God can dull our spiritual appetite.

This happens to non-Christians as they look for happiness and fulfillment in any area except in their relationship with God. It may be in human relationships, quest for power or money, or escape to physical pleasure. The saddest examples, however, are of Christians who allow their appetite for God to be dulled by other things . . . even religious things. Our churches are filled with believers who are so satiated by activities, programs and projects that they no longer have a hunger for God.

So many Christians today snack their way through the day on "junk-food" activities and then find they have no time to "feast" with God. We complain about our "busyness" and tiredness, but that is typically a spiritual problem more than a problem of schedule. We desire everything except God. We take God in small doses throughout the day and week and somehow hope that on Sunday we can "catch up" on our time with the Lord.

Let’s look at the Scriptures which speak of developing this hunger and thirst for God:

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" (Matthew 5:6).

". . . whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:14).

"Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and ho believes in me will never be thirsty" (John 6:35).

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him’" (John 7:37-38).

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?" (Isaiah 55:1-2).

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water" (Psalm 63:1).

"The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life" (Revelation 22:17).

Amen............we are too busy and distracted, and as is being said "satiated" with life in the world, to hunger and thirst for God.  But as Jesus said if we love our life in this world we will lose it, but if we lose our life for His sake we will keep it until eternal life.  Much needed reminder, and lovely scriptures, and I'm glad you shared this.

• This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

7 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Amen............we are too busy and distracted, and as is being said "satiated" with life in the world, to hunger and thirst for God.  But as Jesus said if we love our life in this world we will lose it, but if we lose our life for His sake we will keep it until eternal life.  Much needed reminder, and lovely scriptures, and I'm glad you shared this.

This whole thing can be summed up with the words of our prescious savoir.     The cares and pleasures in life , of riches and other lusts enter in and CHOKE the WORD .

That is why so many fall away in time of temptation or trial.    THIS IS WHY ITS SO NEEDED TODAY as it was back then. For the true grave ones to stand

and come into these syanogagues of men with spiritual whips of truth , smashing every high table , thing , which exalts itself above God.

ITS time to expose these false men of belial WITH THE PURE WORDS OF TRUTH.    WHIPS IN HANDS AND ITS TABLE THROWING TIME.

Cause the SPIRIT in those who are HIS says to the false ones..........the ZEAL of Gods house has consumed me.  AWAY with the hirelings and their doctrines

and in with CHRIST and HIS TEACHINGS is what I say.

• This is Worthy 2

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

On 9/12/2017 at 7:12 AM, Benevolent said:

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" (Matthew 5:6).

". . . whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:14).

"Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and ho believes in me will never be thirsty" (John 6:35).

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him’" (John 7:37-38).

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?" (Isaiah 55:1-2).

On 9/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

"This whole thing can be summed up with the words of our prescious savoir.     The cares and pleasures in life , of riches and other lusts enter in and CHOKE the WORD .

That is why so many fall away in time of temptation or trial.    THIS IS WHY ITS SO NEEDED TODAY as it was back then."

On 9/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

"ITS time to expose these false men of belial WITH THE PURE WORDS OF TRUTH.    WHIPS IN HANDS AND ITS TABLE THROWING TIME.

Cause the SPIRIT in those who are HIS says to the false ones..........the ZEAL of Gods house has consumed me.  AWAY with the hirelings and their doctrines

and in with CHRIST and HIS TEACHINGS is what I say."

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,624
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/12/2017 at 8:12 AM, Benevolent said:

Hungering and Thirsting for God

By Dave Butts

Hunger and thirst are natural expressions of the basic human desire and need for food and water. One of the clear indicators that something is wrong physically is when we lose our appetite. It is the same spiritually. To hunger and thirst for God is at the very root of our being. It’s the way God made us. When there is no hunger for the presence of God, it is an indicator that something is wrong spiritually. Because that hunger is so basic to human nature, it often finds fulfillment in other areas rather than in seeking God. Much as eating unhealthy junk food can dull physical appetite, so that which is not of God can dull our spiritual appetite.

This happens to non-Christians as they look for happiness and fulfillment in any area except in their relationship with God. It may be in human relationships, quest for power or money, or escape to physical pleasure. The saddest examples, however, are of Christians who allow their appetite for God to be dulled by other things . . . even religious things. Our churches are filled with believers who are so satiated by activities, programs and projects that they no longer have a hunger for God.

So many Christians today snack their way through the day on "junk-food" activities and then find they have no time to "feast" with God. We complain about our "busyness" and tiredness, but that is typically a spiritual problem more than a problem of schedule. We desire everything except God. We take God in small doses throughout the day and week and somehow hope that on Sunday we can "catch up" on our time with the Lord.

Let’s look at the Scriptures which speak of developing this hunger and thirst for God:

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water" (Psalm 63:1).

"The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life" (Revelation 22:17).

"By Dave Butts

Hunger and thirst are natural expressions of the basic human desire and need for food and water. One of the clear indicators that something is wrong physically is when we lose our appetite. It is the same spiritually. To hunger and thirst for God is at the very root of our being. It’s the way God made us. When there is no hunger for the presence of God, it is an indicator that something is wrong spiritually. Because that hunger is so basic to human nature, it often finds fulfillment in other areas rather than in seeking God. Much as eating unhealthy junk food can dull physical appetite, so that which is not of God can dull our spiritual appetite."

Hi, Interesting approach by  Dave Butts former professional football player,  from Harvest Prayer ministries which  is evidently one of the members of the  Lausanne Covenant movement.

Don't know that I agree with the opening precept that all seek God and that it is the natural state of man to do so. But regardless, the goal of sharing of Jesus as Lord God and savior seems admirable.  I don't know much more than the name about the Lausanne movement, can you enlighten?

I see  a Go Fund me campaign for benefit of Dave Butts that is about a year old. Can you share of how has he faired?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I basically agree with this. I suppose we all have our own schedule with God. What I mean is this. I'm a long time believer but I've only started to truly hunger and thirst for God when I hit 60. I can remember asking my parents difficult questions about God at 5 yrs old. Questions they couldn't answer. But God was always on my mind. I was distracted by work and seeking a social life many yrs, I think that's normal. So it took me a long time but I finally reached the place I hope all believers want to be.

Good post.