Annette

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

With Thanksgiving being just around the corner. And with us having only lived here for a few years, celebrating Thanksgiving is relatively new to us.

I was wondering what it is, that makes Thanksgiving a special time for you and your family.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1965

Hi Annette don't want to sound silly ? I don't know what thanksgiving is it's not a UK or Irish tradition 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Annette said:

With Thanksgiving being just around the corner. And with us having only lived here for a few years, celebrating Thanksgiving is relatively new to us.

I was wondering what it is, that makes Thanksgiving a special time for you and your family.

I think we should celebrate it the way churches did hundreds of years ago.  before even the traditional one we know.

They would fast starting the night before around six.   then the day of they would continue the fast , and come together

and be thanking GOD, singing praises, then at the end of the day around evening.........have a big meal.   then after the meal do a communion.

Wouldn't that be a real beauty.     Be blessed Annette.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. It is a quiet time of family. Not the hectic frenzy that Christmas tends to be. Living in arizona we can enjoy the outdoors too. So we start by going out for a nice meal, then spend the afternoon together outside doing something, then get a second turkey dinner elsewhere. It is one day I know for sure he has off, and given how crazy his work schedule is, how we can never be sure what type of hours he is working (like his upcoming vacation just got canceled), it is a day for us to be together, as a family. For that alone, thanksgiving is a good day. 

By our front door we have some fall decorations, metal gourds etc. We have a turkey and a pumpkin that both say "give thanks". We see it every time we go in and out. A good reminder to us for each day, not just thanksgiving day itself.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Annette said:

It is a time to get together and be thankful and to eat some good food and then go lay down and take a nap. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Sinbad said:

Hi Annette don't want to sound silly ? I don't know what thanksgiving is it's not a UK or Irish tradition 

Hey Sinbad, It's not silly at all. Just this past Sunday at church we were talking about different holidays and why we celebrate them. I added one that we used to have back home Boxing Day. I loved it, when asking the kids what they thought it was about. Some thought it was a literal day to box. So I got to explain how the tradition started the day after Christmas where people would "box" things up extra food and things and share it with those who were in need.

I am looking forward to hearing what people say and seeing if there is anything that would be nice to add to our family tradition since we are now here.

Blessings :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

I think we should celebrate it the way churches did hundreds of years ago.  before even the traditional one we know.

They would fast starting the night before around six.   then the day of they would continue the fast , and come together

and be thanking GOD, singing praises, then at the end of the day around evening.........have a big meal.   then after the meal do a communion.

Wouldn't that be a real beauty.     Be blessed Annette.

HI Frienduff thaylorde, I think that is awesome. I loved reading how people would get together and sing. It makes me think of years gone by when families used to gather around the piano as a social time together.

Thank you for sharing that. Blessings :)

12 hours ago, Yowm said:

Before the burping and oinking begins it is a time of communally pondering all that we are thankful for and then collectively give thanks. 

Must be a real celebration to have burping and oinking Yowm :)

I like the idea of taking time to appreciate what we have. We play a game in the car sometimes, where we go around and take turns saying what we like or appreciate about one another. When we first started playing it, I think it was kind of awkward as it was not something that we were used to doing, but it has gotten easier with time. 

10 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. It is a quiet time of family. Not the hectic frenzy that Christmas tends to be. Living in arizona we can enjoy the outdoors too. So we start by going out for a nice meal, then spend the afternoon together outside doing something, then get a second turkey dinner elsewhere. It is one day I know for sure he has off, and given how crazy his work schedule is, how we can never be sure what type of hours he is working (like his upcoming vacation just got canceled), it is a day for us to be together, as a family. For that alone, thanksgiving is a good day. 

By our front door we have some fall decorations, metal gourds etc. We have a turkey and a pumpkin that both say "give thanks". We see it every time we go in and out. A good reminder to us for each day, not just thanksgiving day itself.

Hi Ayin Jade,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I do love that people and family can get together at this time, and enjoy being together. I am glad that you can spend this time with your husband.

I prefer it to the hectic pace that comes with Christmas too, as well as the expense that can come with celebrating Christmas and buying gifts.

I was hoping to find ideas that may be nice to incorporate into our family in the years to come, and like the idea of the decorations with the words that can remind us to give thanks.  This month our girls at church are learning a verse about giving thanks. It is a lesson just as much for me as for them, with the words starting out with, "Give thanks no matter what happens..." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

It is a time to get together and be thankful and to eat some good food and then go lay down and take a nap. :D

Hi MissMuffet,

It is amazing how many memories we have that come back to spending time around food. 

I like the idea of taking the time to be grateful for what we have.