Gerioke

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

I would say that judging someone for drinking is more likely a sin ,than having a wee nip of the golden nectar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, Gerioke. :(

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Katie

Because of the fact that there are a lot of addictions in my family and I have had a few issues with addiction, I am not fully convinced that I am ok to drink alcohol. I have had a margarita here or there, but I never felt ok with it. That told me right there, that if I am not at ease about it, then I shouldn't have one, even in moderation. However, if you are fully convinced and not convicted in your spirit, I do not believe that it is a SIN to have an alcoholic drink.  I do think though, that it is more of a stumbling block to others than we care to admit at times.

Alcohol will always be a stumbling block to those who have had problems in that area....Loook around your church.....if there are any there who have a history of alcohol abuse, then you have a potential stumbler, and we, as their brothers and sisters, need to be circumspect in our behaviour.

Years ago, I became very involved with a couple of people who were alcoholics...Seeing the living hell they put themselves and their familys through ....and seeing the blase way the church they attended, treated the matter of alcoholism, right down to offering them alchohol at communion, made me realise my responsibility before God towards them.

For me that meant not drinking alcohol, although I would never impose that belief on anyone else...I don't think there is anything wrong with a Christian having an alcoholic drink, and believe it is entirely up to ones own conscience.

I have also found that non christian friends accept my nill alcohol stance, much more willingly than some of my christian friends do....One couple spring to mind , who every time we meet up say " Are you STILL not drinking" as though I will suddenly see the error of my ways and return to normalcy. It would obviously make them feel better about their own drinking habits if I did.... :taped::24:

Jill

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Alcohol will always be a stumbling block to those who have had problems in that area.........if there are any there who have a history of alcohol abuse, then you have a potential stumbler

Just wanted to mention that this is not always true, nor written in stone, though the philosophies of the world would have us believe it. It is not uncommon for a person who used to be an alcoholic to now have a beer or a drink occasionally when they feel like it. The world says "bondage, you can never get out of it, it's a gene, you have no control, you serve only it". God says "you're free, self control is a fruit of the Spirit, you serve me". :taped:

LOL @ your friends thinking you should become "normal"!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Work in Progress,

Just wanted to mention that this is not always true, nor written in stone, though the philosophies of the world would have us believe it.  It is not uncommon for a person who used to be an alcoholic to now have a beer or a drink occasionally when they feel like it. The world says "bondage, you can never get out of it, it's a gene, you have no control, you serve only it". God says "you're free, self control is a fruit of the Spirit, you serve me[/i

Yes ...I would agree with that to a certain extent......but only to a certain extent...

I know there are many people, who have been set free from the grip of alcohol, by the grace of God. However, I know of no one, who having once been an alcoholic and truly been set free, would ever go dabbling back in the pond they nearly drowned in.

Of the two people I was involved with on a personal level.....one died from alcohol poisoning, and the other left the church because the temptation to drink overcame her, to the point she went back to her old habits.

I would suggest that the people you are talking about may have had some heavy drinking habits.....but find it hard to accept the notion of christians, who having been set free from a habit that wreaked utter devastation upon their families, would ever want to touch alcohol again.

As Christians we are told to flee from temptation...and everyones temptation is different.. I would say that the thing that bound you as a non christian, is the thing you stay away from as a christian.... :taped:

Jill

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

My whole problem with this notion of it being okay to drink centers around the issue of it being a stumbling block to others.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

Katie

Because of the fact that there are a lot of addictions in my family and I have had a few issues with addiction, I am not fully convinced that I am ok to drink alcohol. I have had a margarita here or there, but I never felt ok with it. That told me right there, that if I am not at ease about it, then I shouldn't have one, even in moderation. However, if you are fully convinced and not convicted in your spirit, I do not believe that it is a SIN to have an alcoholic drink.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

My whole problem with this notion of it being okay to drink centers around the issue of it being a stumbling block to others.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Big Steve has a good point about reaching people where they are . As long as you are not making an a44 out of yourself while having a beer you can be a very effective witness.

I've been in similar situations, only take away the muscles, tatoos and goatee(Iused to have one,my wife hates it) I am/was a rock n roll musician who frequently played in bars and enjoyed a few pints in the course of the night. I had a partner who knew all this Larry Norman and Bob Dylan stuff that really made you think. ( My partner also lead me to the Lord ) We would get off the stage in between sets and there would be someone sitting at the bar asking what that last song was about. Perfect oppurtunity for witnessing :taped::)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Big Steve, I do understand what you are trying to say and I agree that wherever we are we can be a witness, to a degree. People need to see a difference in us (Jesus) in order to think that there is something about them (no Jesus) that needs to be changed. Having a drink doesn't necessarily ruin your witness. I just choose not to take a chance on tarnishing my witness so that I can win souls...not to be holier than thou...it's just who I am. (and I know you weren't implying that I am holier than thou :emot-pray: )

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Ok im going to ask the same Question again, Big steve it wasn't because i didn't like your answer, but i have another question to put in it.

Questions i've always had so don't get mad at me.

1.)What is the line between Dunk and not drunk?

2.) Isn't just being alittle light headed drunk?

3.) and if its not then what is it?

4.) If that is the body saying you had enough, stop before you get worse, thats dinking moderatle. But wouldn't that make you moderately dunk?

5.) And when has God ever aloud a Moderate sin?