• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

17 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

The trouble is......many are worshiping and in bondage but don't know it.  If someone can't live without a Christmas tree then they are in bondage and worshiping it, in effect.  Just think what we do with a Christmas tree......we "offer" it gifts when we place the gifts under the tree, we then kneel down and retrieve those gifts to be "consumed" by someone.  Think about the sacrifices...how the worshipers participated in the sacrifice by eating of it, and how we eat the Lord's Supper, participating in His sacrifice.  I stopped having a Christmas tree when I saw that passage in Jeremiah, and it is hard to put into words, but i find Christmas to be a "freer and cleaner" time because of that.  Being rid of that bondage and spiritual dirt.  Also celebrating it more simply, more temperately I think would be the right word.  We can use the things of this world, but we are not to abuse or be enamored with them....don't go overboard or be excessive, and don't set our hearts on them. 

We should all work on our OWN walk with Christ and worry about our OWN righteousness instead of worrying about what others believe or do.  If people want to celebrate Christmas it has no effect on any6one but them and their families; God doesn't care.  If you don't celebrate Christmas, God doesn't care. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

3 hours ago, Steve_K said:

I could have quoted several people but I need to chime in here:

I gotta be honest, I'm becoming impatient with the content of this thread. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ. There isn't anything "pagan" about that, no matter how much some of you try to make it that way.

Secondly, MG said that Jesus didn't "want us to celebrate anything." I beg the differ. Jesus wanted us to remember him in communion, so, in a sense it is celebrating. ALTHOUGH JESUS NEVER SPECIFICALLY USED THE TERM.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS And I will not be deterred by cynical opinions on a msg board. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS!!

No, MG did NOT say that.  Here is what I said: " Jesus never told us to not celebrate anything."

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

We should all work on our OWN walk with Christ and worry about our OWN righteousness instead of worrying about what others believe or do.  If people want to celebrate Christmas it has no effect on any6one but them and their families; God doesn't care.  If you don't celebrate Christmas, God doesn't care. 

I celebrate the birth of Jesus.......it is good news of great joy.  God didn't command Purim to be celebrated, or Hannukah..........but Jesus didn't avoid going up to the temple on that feast, so i don't avoid Christmas, but I just avoid celebrating it in a way that is not righteous.  What I tried to share were some biblical guidelines......idolatry and excessiveness is not honouring to the Lord and it is damaging to the purity of our walk.  Many are in bondage to the trappings of this holiday but don't know it, like I used to be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

15 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Why on earth did you copy and paste my post?  You weren't responding to me.

I have absolutly no clue how I ever uploaded anything from anybody. I tried to get rid of that through the editing screen and couldn't. I went to the attachment control area of my profile page and couldn't get rid of it. I even quoted my own post and asked how I could get rid of that attachment, but I've gotten nothing back.

If you could tell me how to delete it, I would be overjoyed.

43 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Anyone who gets a Christmas tree is not worshipping it. It is only a tree. You are off. The scripture you posting about Jeremiah is not restricting Christmas trees.

There is nothing in the Bible that either commands or prohibits Christmas trees. It has been falsely claimed by some that Jeremiah 10:1-16 prohibits the cutting down and decorating of trees in the same manner as we do at Christmas. However, even a cursory reading of the text makes it clear that the passage is one in which Jeremiah sets forth the prohibition against idols made of wood, plated with silver and gold, and worshipped. A similar idea appears in Isaiah 44, where Isaiah speaks of the silliness of the idol-worshippers who cut down a tree, burn part of it in the fire to warm themselves, and use the other part to fashion an idol, which they then bow down to. So unless we bow down before our Christmas tree, carve it into an idol, and pray to it, these passages cannot be applied to Christmas trees.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-tree.html

I would not quote anything from Got questions.org. They have been found wanting on several occasions.

Here is a more reputable source of information on the history of the Christmas tree.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas-trees

Edited by Justmemyselfandi

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Just now, Justmemyselfandi said:

I would not quote anything from Got questions.org. They have been found wanting on several occasions.

They are much more reliable in God's word that what I have seen on Worthy lately. It is my responsibility as a born again Christian to post the truth. Not false doctrine.

22 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

They are much more reliable in God's word that what I have seen on Worthy lately. It is my responsibility as a born again Christian to post the truth. Not false doctrine.

It has already been proven that there is no reference to any Christmas tree in the Bible, so why even go there with a conversation about a Christmas tree.?  They are biased towards that which is tradition when it comes to issues that are not of Biblical origin and as such are directive instead of informative on their answers.

I would suggest you not place the term truth where the word opinion obviously goes when you only quote one source for information that can't be corroborated in the Bible. That is the only source of truth that I know of, because it is the word of God.

Being Born again has nothing to do with this and the truth can only be found, outside of the Bible by diligently searching all avenues of information and coming up with what is most credible outside our own prejudices.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Justmemyselfandi said:

It has already been proven that there is no reference to any Christmas tree in the Bible, so why even go there?  They are biased towards that which is tradition when it comes to issues that are not of Biblical origin and as such are directive instead of informative on their answers.

I would suggest you not place the term truth where the word opinion obviously goes when you only quote one source for information that can't be corroborated in the Bible. That is the only source of truth that I know of, because it is the word of God.

Being Born again has nothing to do with this and the truth can only be found, outside of the Bible by diligently searching all avenues of information and coming up with what is most credible outside our own prejudices.

There were ties to the Christmas tree a long time ago being pagan. But not anymore to most people in this world. Maybe a few like yourself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-19/the-history-of-the-christmas-tree/8106078

21 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

There were ties to the Christmas tree a long time ago being pagan. But not anymore to most people in this world. Maybe a few like yourself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-19/the-history-of-the-christmas-tree/8106078

What we are talking about is those ties. What originates as pagan stays pagan if not purified by God, the same is true for sin, which is why God had to come to Earth as Jesus and die to cleanse us.  It was why God demanded burnt offerings in the OT.  HE CLEANSES. We can not simply remove the taint of paganism and we can't simply assume that God will automatically do so because we have warm feelings about something.  He is not at our beck and call.

Has anybody even prayed to him about this or ask for his guidance?  AT ALL!

As far as I understand Catholicism they simply assume that God will go along with them and their practices. They were the ones to incorporate both Christmas and the Christmas tree and If they just assumed that God would go along with them how can we as Christians do the same thing, when we know for a fact  that pray works.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.31
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

Forget about Christmas for a second and look at what you just said.     And stop worrying about what others believe and do.    That sure weren't no early church motto.

Now tell cain, we are our brothers keeper.  People just don't like being correct that usually say things like this .   

We are to be about others welfare even above our own.    IF paul , peter , CHRIST himself had this above said motto you said the church would never have been the church.

WE supposed to correct , rebuke , look out for .   I got my righteousness ITS CHRIST ALONE , but if I HAVE HIS LOVE then its all about correction.

Yalls being set up to shut people like me who warn down.    But this aint new , its jus way worse these days.

IN all the years I have been warning and being grave do you know how often I have been basically told mind my own business.  You know how much it has worked.

NOT A BIT ,   I LOVE so I will keep on correcting.   PS satan is a lie ,   thou shalt not lie , all liars shall have their part in the lake of fire.  YET this tradition

lies to kids , lies , lies and christains just see no harm in it.  HOW is teaching a child a lie is good , GOOD.   no wonder so many think lying aint no big deal.

Santa clause is a lie , their is no big omniscient presence God like thing that knows ALL, that sees all.......WHO YA THINK that is.  YET SANTA takes HIS JOB .

Lets get real.    A LIE is A LIE.   no sirs , no mams........we to be HOLY not of this world.  but try telling this to christains these days, and ye get labled religious.

Well, REJOICE when persecuted even if its just words .   

• This is Worthy 2