GreyDestiny

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know why, but I started thinking about Samson's story this morning. It dawned on me that I didn't really understand the purpose. Was there a moral or a reason to the story? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it. I guess it just flew over my head.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I would keep reading it, and come to your own decision.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

5 hours ago, GreyDestiny said:

I don't know why, but I started thinking about Samson's story this morning. It dawned on me that I didn't really understand the purpose. Was there a moral or a reason to the story? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it. I guess it just flew over my head.

Their are points to it .    ever notice the symbolism of the hair and the SPIRIT .  

and HOW many locks of hair did he have ,  SEVEN.

revelations...................these are the seven spirits sent out unto the churches.   Which is of course THAT ONE HOLY SPIRIT .

but Sampson did major no no.    HE GOT DRUNK off the womans drink and sold the gift and lost the gift under her embrace.

I see a huge allegory in that one.    Partake not of the whores cup , lest she take you.

Also we see REPENTANCE in Sampson and how ,  THE HAIR GREW BACK and at HIS LAST HE WENT OUT STRONG FOR THE LORD .

yeah  if one does err from the truth brethren and one converts Him back ,   Ye have saved a soul from death .

and ONLY the GOODNESS of GOD can lead a man to repentance,  yeah the hair grew back DIDNT IT .  

What else happened to Sampson.   He had his EYES put out .  blind man walking .  but we walk not by sight , but by Faith.    just lil things like that may stand out .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

The times of the judges was a bizarre time and such dreadful stories are there.  I know I grew up as a child hearing the story of Samson the HERO .... well, the edited and sanitized version ....the version that makes him the "good guy" ..... and that's the story I had in my head until adult hood.  Even sermons never told the full story.

When you read the full story, it DOES make you ask - what was the point.

Samson was a Nazarite from birth and broke every single Nazarite vow - with no repentance.  He participated in such wild shenanigans and seemed to live a very licentious life.  His sinful acts were many and he didn't seem to care.  He was self-absorbed and even when he broke the columns, he only wanted vengeance for his two eyes that the Philistines poked out.  Then he died with them.

What's the point of that story?

God DID use him to destroy many, many Philistines, but not all of them.  God's will is God's will and he will use anyone, anytime, in any manner he chooses - whether we understand it or not.  Just think of the wonderful things that COULD have happened for Samson's people had he been a humble and obedient man willing to fulfill the Nazarite vow God placed on him.

To me, the point is - straighten up, fly right, live right - and allow God's will for your life to be as productive - fruit wise - as possible.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

It dawned on me that I didn't really understand the purpose.

If you listen to people, they'll always  make mistakes.

James chapter 3 verse 1 and 2

Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

Here look at these verses.

Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10 
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
    that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
“Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
    look around and consider,
    search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
    who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
    I will forgive this city.
Psalm 119 verse 114
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Temptations that lead to sin. We will suffer the consequence of disobedience.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Temptations that lead to sin. We will suffer the consequence of disobedience.

NOW WHO WOULD ARGUE THAT dear sister .   

and notice something else ,    Remember in the bible where it teaches arm yourselves likewise , for he who has suffered in the flesh has Ceased from sin.

SAMPSON SUFFERED HARD for his crime , IT WAS ALLOWED.    they put out his eyes and into a hard trial and suffering he went

but I cant help but to see an allegory in this ,   but as he suffered without no sight ,    He walked through his suffering blind as a bat.

But we don't walk by SIGHT , but by faith.  Sampson learned .    And at his end went out faithful to the LORD.

all things do work together for our good , IF WE LOVE the LORD.    SO fear no coming persecutions people.   and praise the Lord.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Thank you for your answers, everyone. You have given me food for thought.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Jayne said:

The times of the judges was a bizarre time and such dreadful stories are there.  I know I grew up as a child hearing the story of Samson the HERO .... well, the edited and sanitized version ....the version that makes him the "good guy" ..... and that's the story I had in my head until adult hood.  Even sermons never told the full story.

When you read the full story, it DOES make you ask - what was the point.

Samson was a Nazarite from birth and broke every single Nazarite vow - with no repentance.  He participated in such wild shenanigans and seemed to live a very licentious life.  His sinful acts were many and he didn't seem to care.  He was self-absorbed and even when he broke the columns, he only wanted vengeance for his two eyes that the Philistines poked out.  Then he died with them.

What's the point of that story?

God DID use him to destroy many, many Philistines, but not all of them.  God's will is God's will and he will use anyone, anytime, in any manner he chooses - whether we understand it or not.  Just think of the wonderful things that COULD have happened for Samson's people had he been a humble and obedient man willing to fulfill the Nazarite vow God placed on him.

To me, the point is - straighten up, fly right, live right - and allow God's will for your life to be as productive - fruit wise - as possible.

Hi ya Jane,

I'm not disagreeing with you but want to add a little of my perspective as I view Samson. This is just from memory without going back and rereading the Word.

Basically as I recall, Samson's main purpose was to destroy the Philistines. We all should know the story of the 'vow' and a razor should never touch his head. Unless there is sincere repentance and forgiveness sought and asked for, I don't believe God will answer prayer. In my opinion, Samson must have regretted his sins and sought the Lord for forgiveness. And prayed for one final request to take out a bunch of Israel's enemies, as well as himself and it was granted to him.  

I see the point, or the moral of the story, as it's never too late to repent and do the will of God. Just my thoughts...

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

His request was to kill the Philistines because they had gouged out his eyes.  He doesn't mention repentance.  He knew he was used of God and knew where his strength came from.  I just don't see him fulfilling the fullness of what he could have been.  But then again, hardly anyone in Judges fit that bill.

The people in the days of the Judges "did what was right in their own eyes".  If I'm not mistaken it says that more than once.  God did use them and he used Samson.  But all through chapters 13-16 I don't see a man that one would want their sons to emulate nor his daughters to be involved with.  I pass no judgment on his, but have to say that "Samson, the Godly Hero" that I was taught as a child isn't the Bible version.

"Then Samson called to the LORD and said, "O Lord GOD, please remember me and please strengthen me just this time, O God, that I may at once be avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes."