• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,169
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

16 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

I believe if there WAS life before Adam, that it was hominid life, not Homo Sapiens Sapiens which is our species.  Wee know for sure that Neanderthals existed before us and probably coexisted for a short while.  They were humanlike but were a separate species.

What I know is the written hermeneutic of God's Word does not allow for prior existence of anything 'in the beginning addresses all that has began-> for God makes it so by placing with it Himself:

Gen 1:1
1 In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth.
KJV

By God placing Himself in this format He has place Uncreated with created you have only one or other... by saying there is other is outside of the written format which is what exactly?
God has warned us about this sort of thing in this passage below -that which is coming against those who hold not to His Word
2 Thess 2:9-14
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
KJV

So much these days is persuasion to place weight of being upon other than a strict interpretation of God's Own Possession His Word ... it is the only foundation for which truth can be ascertained... As those who let this reality slip so also the truth... and we have read what God is going to do to those who do this...
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

What I know is the written hermeneutic of God's Word does not allow for prior existence of anything 'in the beginning addresses all that has began-> for God makes it so by placing with it Himself:

Gen 1:1
1 In the beginning God created the Heaven and the earth.

Yes, and that is before day 1.

So, how long ago did that happen? And, the beginning of "what"? The heaven and the earth? The first of many ages chronicled in His word?

And by "earth", does it mean the planet itself, or does it mean prepared the clean slate surface of the planet on which to place the upcoming ages?

There is so little information here and in the following verses that it is ripe for speculation and inference. My take is that we don't know. We only know what He told us, which is very little. I figure that though I see as through a glass darkly now, I will see as face to face in eternity.

7 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

So much these days is persuasion to place weight of being upon other than a strict interpretation of God's Own Possession His Word ... 

The problem is that again, we are stuck with interpretation. Otherwise you have to say that the bible clearly contradicts itself when one gospel says the rooster crows twice and the others say once. My take is that I don't interpret strictly. I see Christianity as a spirit of the law, rather than letter of the law faith. I see the first covenant and Islam as letter of the law.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

46 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

So, how long ago did that happen? And, the beginning of "what"? The heaven and the earth? The first of many ages chronicled in His word?

And by "earth", does it mean the planet itself, or does it mean prepared the clean slate surface of the planet on which to place the upcoming ages?

There is so little information here and in the following verses that it is ripe for speculation and inference. My take is that we don't know. We only know what He told us, which is very little. I figure that though I see as through a glass darkly now, I will see as face to face in eternity.

Exodus 20:11 
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

leaves no room for imagination of how to interpret 6 days as anything other than what He says. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, Still Alive said:

I wonder if the six days of creation were six consecutive days, or if they were years, or millions of years, apart.

Just wondering...

If God meant for us to understand the  days of creation to be millions of years, there was/is a way in Hebrew to express that.   God doesn't stutter, or say one thing while meaning something else totally different.   

The way the word "day" are used in Genesis, the only rational meaning they can have is that of literal, 24-hour days.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

Genesis 1:1 is simply a synopsis of what is revealed in the verses to follow and chapters 1 and 2.    It doesn't mean that God created an earth before Genesis 1:2.   The Hebrew grammar does not allow for anything like what Quasar is claiming.   

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

The problem is that again, we are stuck with interpretation. Otherwise you have to say that the bible clearly contradicts itself when one gospel says the rooster crows twice and the others say once. My take is that I don't interpret strictly. I see Christianity as a spirit of the law, rather than letter of the law faith. I see the first covenant and Islam as letter of the law.

That is the completely wrong approach.  And we are not "stuck" with interpretation.   We are stuck with those who want the Bible to be molded around their beliefs instead of letting the Bible be the mold for what they believe.

The whole  pre-adamite earth stuff is really based on sloppy theology and even an even sloppier approach to hermeneutics.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

That is the completely wrong approach.  And we are not "stuck" with interpretation.   We are stuck with those who want the Bible to be molded around their beliefs instead of letting the Bible be the mold for what they believe.

The whole  pre-adamite earth stuff is really based on sloppy theology and even an even sloppier approach to hermeneutics.

It's not critical doctrine. My take is along the lines of what a worship pastor told me once. He worked at a large Lousiville congregation attended by a lot of the professors at the local Christian university. I was lamenting the attitudes of so many of the members of the small churches I've attended in rural KY as a member of a travelling southern gospel band. 

He said, and I paraphrase, that he noticed that, regarding non-critical doctrine issues, the more someone understands the Word of God, the less sure they are of their interpretation. 

And vice versa. 

I found it to be true and it explained a lot. I stopped trying to debate a lot of the folks in those small churches and just stuck to music.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

It's not critical doctrine.

Yes it is critical.  It contradicts what the Bible teaches about the origin of sin.

10 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Just think, only being able to rest 1,000,000 years out of 7,000,000. lol

Yep. And the interesting part is that some people think God needed to rest. 

Meanwhile, some other meanings of the word translated "day" in the KJV

afternoon* (1), age (8), age* (1), all (1), always* (14), amount* (2), battle (1), birthday* (1), Chronicles* (38), completely* (1), continually* (14), course* (1), daily (22), daily the days (1), day (1115), day of the days (1), day that the period (1), day's (6), day's every day (1), daylight* (1), days (635), days on the day (1), days to day (1), days you shall daily (1), days ago (1), days' (11), each (1), each day (4), entire (2), eternity (1), evening* (1), ever in your life* (1), every day (2), fate (1), first (5), forever* (11), forevermore* (1), full (5), full year (1), future* (1), holiday* (3), later* (2), length (1), life (12), life* (1), lifetime (2), lifetime* (1), live (1), long (2), long as i live (1), long* (11), midday* (1), now (5), older* (1), once (2), period (3), perpetually* (2), present (1), recently (1), reigns (1), ripe* (1), short-lived* (1), so long* (1), some time (1), survived* (2), time (45), time* (1), times* (2), today (172), today* (1), usual (1), very old* (1), when (10), when the days (1), whenever (1), while (3), whole (2), year (10), yearly (5), years (13), yesterday* (1).

That is from here: http://biblehub.com/hebrew/3117.htm

Trying to argue with others what it absolutely, positively has to mean is an exercise in futility.