• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Davida said:

Personally I thought the posting  the head smashing on a brick wall gif  was jumping to conclusions and making out there was an  issue when there was merely an innocent question asked. 

I simply took it to mean (my thoughts also) "hope this does not turn into another KJV only" debate, with the humor added to lighten it up (not directed at Dan). Thought nothing of it. Nor the question about KJV by Dan. I was trying to remind Dan that knowing the higher understand of scripture is useless without knowing the basics of forum manners. If I overstated an inappropriate post to Dan, then I apoligize to him, and anybody else who took offense. I would then be commiting what I was warning Dan of.  I realize the 'correct answer' is good. But a correct response would be better.   

Edited by Gary Lee
  • Thumbs Up 1

Edited by Gary Lee

Edited by Gary Lee

Edited by Gary Lee

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Butero said:

It is all real simple.  Let's suppose some guy comes in here and says it is good to lie to children.  What does the Bible say about lying?  Measure all by God's Word.

See this is a good example of what could happen. People are using the "General discussion forum" as a means to preach and tell others what to do. Instead of having a discussion about the topic.  They just come on here and saying "It's good to lie to children"! Then they have 10 or more paragraphs that they copy and past from somewhere off the net. Instead of saying "Do you ever feel it is good to lie to children?" Which would allow people to discuss the topic without feeling like you are being told what you should be doing. 

Thank you Burero, you have given me a good example to work with here. Cheers to you. :clap:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

I would make a good moderator. I would be like "Nope!  Delete!" But in the end no one would like me anymore. :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

17 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

See this is a good example of what could happen. People are using the "General discussion forum" as a means to preach and tell others what to do. Instead of having a discussion about the topic.  They just come on here and saying "It's good to lie to children"! Then they have 10 or more paragraphs that they copy and past from somewhere off the net.

I will tell you what I see a lot. On Worthy as well as many other Christian forums. People get it in their head that they have some special original revelation, and God wants them to "educate" the church on this revelation. So first they write a blog. No one reads it. Then they try to evangelize their local church. People aren't interested. Then they join Christian websites where they can copy-paste their little manifesto, hoping to find an audience where it will stick.

By this point, they are so much invested in the manifesto that they cannot fathom it might be flawed. They truly believe they're on a mission from God, so if you reject their manifesto, well, then clearly you're a stiff-necked baby Christian. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Butero said:

I was giving an example of how we can tell if something is right or wrong using the Bible.  If nobody said it was good to lie to children, why defend lying using Rahab?  

Your using a strawman augument. Your being lealisticin this case. Like corrie ten boom lied about hiding jews to save there life. Its all in context. Lieing for gain or to decieve someone  is a sin if your not saving there life. 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33

19 hours ago, Heart2Soul said:

Beware yes, and since there are so many different faiths here, each has there doctrine that they have been taught to believe...so the false teacher may be reading this and saying yes beware of the false teacher while thinking in their mind of the other person....I agree that we should just be led of the Holy Spirit and study the Word of God for ourselves.....and grow in it and mature to the point that we can rightly divide the truth of His Word. 

You can only be led astray if the Word is not in you and you are not able to rightly divide the truth....

Maturity is key....Ephesians 4:14 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God, as we mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ. 14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ Himself, who is the head.…

I tried to have a discussion regarding the fate of the lost with a guy in my small baptist church in rural KY once. I thought it would be a great discussion. However, he just got angrier and angrier as I answered every one of his points until he finally lifted up his KJV and said, red faced, "I believe what the bible says!" At which point I calmly said, "So do I. Where we differ is in our interpretation. At which point he stormed out of the sanctuary.

I'm finding that the less people know about the bible and the longer they are a Christian, the more vehemently they support their position and the easier it is for them to get quite angry.

It is called dogmatism. If you can't support your beliefs, you are being dogmatic if you still cling to them as absolute truth.

• Thumbs Up 1