Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Equippers

why modern day Parents turn a blind eye to misbehavior of their children?

Recommended Posts

here is an interesting article

"

To the editor:

I nodded my head in agreement when I read Jim McAlister’s letter (“Corral children so others can enjoy a night out”).

Recently, a friend and I were dining at a trendy restaurant in The Woodlands. Seated at another table near us were three fashionably dressed young mothers and their three children (approximately 3-5 years old). We watched in horror as the youngest of the group took the salt and pepper shakers from the table and began to lick them. The mother was either oblivious to the child’s action or chose to ignore it.

After church a few weeks ago, my husband and I chose to have brunch at another upscale restaurant in South Montgomery County. After we were seated and had placed our order, two young families came and pushed two tables together: The four parents sat at one table and the five children sat at the other table. I suppose the parents thought it was delightful that two of the young girls proceeded to demonstrate their ballerina moves for everyone else in the room. When one of the ballerinas knocked into a table, and consequently spilled a glass of liquid, there was no correction from the parents, and no apology to the man who was showered with a glass of cold water.

 

Yes, Mr. McAlister, expressing concern to the restaurant manager should suffice, but on yet another occasion a friend and I were having a late-night dinner after a movie. We were midway through our meal when two young women and their two toddlers were seated within close proximity to us. One of the toddlers became very fussy and began to throw a tantrum. Our summation was that it was long past the child’s bedtime. We asked the manager if he would move the women and the toddlers to another area. His reply, “Let me move the two of you to the bar area. That is a child-free zone.”

 

I must admit, none of this behavior surprises me. As a retired school teacher, I witnessed first-hand the contemporary attitude of parents choosing to be their child’s best friend rather than to employ parenting skills. Often when I called home to discuss a discipline issue, I was told, “I have no idea why this is happening. We do not see this at home.”

Of course not - the old blind eye to the problem trick. Same as we witness in restaurants. "

i personally think the author is way too generous in her assessment that parents are interested in being their children best friend. the real reason i think, is a declining in objective morality in our society, and people no longer cares about how they or their children's behaviours is hurting others as long as it makes them and their children happy. that is why you see parents would defend their child's bullying behaviours at all cost.

 

what do you think?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One could certainly see it that way. Problem is, vast majority of people becoming parents are becoming parents because they gave provision to their lustful flesh without regard to the consequences, not because they were ready or planned to. Couple that irresponsiblity with the growth of technology, and you've got tons of careless adults with immature minds who let their children be raised by media that endlessly blabbers on about negative news topics, drugs, sex, and so forth. 

When I was a young lad, you wouldn't catch me acting up in public. If I misbehaved, my dad would whack my patoot right there in front of everyone. I didn't cry out, I didn't run about, and I certainly didn't cause trouble much after those incidents. If an adult said hello, I would respond, "good morning, sir/ma'am". These kids, you could be minding your own business, and out of nowhere, some 5 to 6 year old girl calls you a derogatory term for a homosexual. Her parents laugh about it. If you say nothing, you permit such behavior. If you say something, you're intruding on their right to raise their own children and are considered poorly. Then when these kids grow up to be common criminals, it's the same tune from the parents "my child would never do that, my child is innocent, they did nothing wrong." 

We just have far too many people who are irresponsible, inconsiderate, and have no interest beyond themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generalities are always, always wrong, in general.

 

Plenty of parents pay attention to their kids, teach them well, and spend time with them daily, many home school, many take their children to church, many have limits upon play time, computer time, and even have curfew times on their children. Many teach their young men to respect women, and many teach their young girls to become ladies of self control.

Yet, it is awfully sad to see parents ignoring their children even when with them, each member of the "unit" having their own separate entertainment device running and using them independently of each other as though they were total strangers stuck at a common location and table.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a real problem of what to do with children that did not exist when I was raising mine, or when I was being raised. Freedom to run about away from parent(s) and wear oneself out  does not exist today for most kids.

There is such fear by parents that something awful will happen to their child, attack -molestation -murder, that kids are kept under protective custody, kids are kept very close at all times.  Why not even a babysitter can be trusted with the very young either it seems. It is a terror for the parent(s).

So it is no wonder the kids are with parents at adult venue restaurants theaters etc. And it is no wonder the kids are rambunctious too.  It would be nicer if the kids were kept quiet, but try doing that 24/7.

What I have come to do for many years now is pray. I pray for the family, the parent(s)  and the children, I pray for their safety  and joy, then I celebrate their noise as being the sounds of new life, young life, that one day be paying for  my social security benefit checks.

Amen, praise God for the sounds of new life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 10:46 AM, GreyDestiny said:

One could certainly see it that way. Problem is, vast majority of people becoming parents are becoming parents because they gave provision to their lustful flesh without regard to the consequences, not because they were ready or planned to. Couple that irresponsiblity with the growth of technology, and you've got tons of careless adults with immature minds who let their children be raised by media that endlessly blabbers on about negative news topics, drugs, sex, and so forth. 

When I was a young lad, you wouldn't catch me acting up in public. If I misbehaved, my dad would whack my patoot right there in front of everyone. I didn't cry out, I didn't run about, and I certainly didn't cause trouble much after those incidents. If an adult said hello, I would respond, "good morning, sir/ma'am". These kids, you could be minding your own business, and out of nowhere, some 5 to 6 year old girl calls you a derogatory term for a homosexual. Her parents laugh about it. If you say nothing, you permit such behavior. If you say something, you're intruding on their right to raise their own children and are considered poorly. Then when these kids grow up to be common criminals, it's the same tune from the parents "my child would never do that, my child is innocent, they did nothing wrong." 

We just have far too many people who are irresponsible, inconsiderate, and have no interest beyond themselves.

Yep, it is not like all the generations before, when  everyone waited until they had all their ducks in a row,  a little pink three bedroom house paid for, and vast savings established before engaging in intimacy, and then solely for the purpose of procreation.  

Seems to me if one's dad whack a kid,  it must have been the kid was acting up, just like they do today, except today the dad will be challenged and even arrested for punishing a child in public. Why the family will end up with the Salvation Army  Contractor State Children's Representative  pounding on their home door. They will find themselves in countless hearings, and will have  visits again and again by the State. All because they struck a child and someone thought, oh the poor child is being abused.

Parents have good reason to  be fearful and to be slack in disciplining  their children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

What I have come to do for many years now is pray. I pray for the family

Thee best possible thing to do.

 

 

4c6b3f3f4ffc19989c81ce69c748ebdd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Yep, it is not like all the generations before, when  everyone waited until they had all their ducks in a row,  a little pink three bedroom house paid for, and vast savings established before engaging in intimacy, and then solely for the purpose of procreation.

I get that life isn't quite nearly so perfect. I just think the irresponsibility and hypersexuality have spiked dramatically over time.

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Seems to me if one's dad whack a kid,  it must have been the kid was acting up, just like they do today, except today the dad will be challenged and even arrested for punishing a child in public. Why the family will end up with the Salvation Army  Contractor State Children's Representative  pounding on their home door. They will find themselves in countless hearings, and will have  visits again and again by the State. All because they struck a child and someone thought, oh the poor child is being abused.

Parents have good reason to  be fearful and to be slack in disciplining  their children.

This is also true. There is a fine line between discipline and abuse. I mean, what do you do to a kid if you can't punish them? Just tell them? Hey Billy, you shouldn't punch Jimmy? Like that will do much of anything. People are far too sensitive anymore.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few people are actually parents nowadays, and a lot of children are raised by single mothers whom have to balance their children with a career, which is not compatible, it's either one or the other. 

Children misbehave when their parents misbehave. We like to blame the youth, but who raised them? Children take on our wickedness, and then we commit the error of blaming the children that we did not want in the first place. Being a parent isn't easy but nobody should go into parenthood with that expectation, you invest your life into the child -- not the other way around. People have children for themselves when they should be having children for the child's sake. 

Selfish parents, selfish children; the two deserve each other. Abortion is really a metaphor for what humans do nowadays, we eat the children as the children will eventually eat us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×