• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

Dear Sue,

Did you happen to see the section under "Parents".  It's called "Family Movies".  There's not too much there yet, but hopefully more will contribute to it and we can have a decent list of good movies?

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I did, which is what prompted me to start this post. I assumed the ones you were discussing on there were for families with small children. I was hoping to generate some discussion about movies that would appeal to adults w/o children. If any are suggested that would appeal to adults that are empty-nesters, please feel free to pass them along. Thanks so much!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member

Ever After is one of my Favorite movies ever. There isn't any sexual inuendos...there may be a kiss or two. But nothing bad. The language isn't foul.  It has Drew Barrymore and that guy in it  :P  Hope that helps  ;)

If you like kid movies.......I know a jillion. I love them as much as my nieces and nephews do  ;)

Do you like Westerns? A lot of the old timey movies are good. I am not sure about language though. My family curses a lot, so often times in movies I don't even notice it  :24:  but Rio Bravo was good, and if you like them I can find out a whole lot more.

Ghost, Body Guard, 10 Things I hate about you (it's more of a teen movie, but it's really cute), Andre (about a seal... and a little girl)  Stepmom, To Dance With the White Dog, Fried Green Tomatoes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We own a copy of Ever After and we love it! We pull it out and watch it every now and then. We also own a lot of the cartoons. My husband just loves The Incredibles and so do my grandchildren. We like kid movies, but not a steady diet of them. We know they are usually safe. I don't know about Westerns. We like murder mysteries (w/o all the gore) and cop shows (same thing) and dramas with good character development. I haven't seen Andre, so we'll check that one out. Fried Green Tomatoes is a good one, too. Thanks so much for these suggestions. It reminded me of some I had forgotten about and it has given me some others to consider.

Christ's Free Servant -

I know what you mean!!  We step into Blockbuster every once in a blue moon and it's just covered with smut and gore.  It's hard sifting through it.  I know someone who just decided they weren't going to do it anymore.  Have you checked out "plugged in" on the Focus on the family website?  You can go there and get excellent reviews on movies.  I keep meaning to go there and get a list of movies that are acceptable so I'd be ready next time we want to rent.

You could also check out Christianbook.com and go to their movie section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Annette, those were good suggestions and ones I had not considered. I will definitely check out those websites. We often order stuff from Christianbook.com, so I already have their website bookmarked. I think I might have Dobson's bookmarked, too. I just never noticed that either one had movie reviews before, so thanks!!

this is so cool that u guys do that. i was like that with tv shows and with music. i never buy secular CD's but i have backslid to watching the secular music channel and tv shows and movies. its awesome to sacrifise stuff (not really though but it seems like it at first)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My husband and I have never been big TV watchers, but we love movies. We have bought a lot of movies over the years that we thought we would like to see more than once. Then, God began getting ahold of us in various areas of our lives and convicting us about what we were taking into our minds, so we began to evaluate everything we watched to see if what we were watching was morally sound. We found that we ended up tossing a good portion of our movies, because we want to have clean lives that God can use and we don't want to fill our minds with junk. We turned off our TV for about six months one time and found we did not really miss it that much. Also, when we turned it back on, we were shocked at how much of what is on there we never noticed before. We get desensitized to stuff and we begin to allow little by little the things of the world to creep into our lives because we want to watch TV or a movie and we can't find anything decent, so we begin to make compromises. We've just decided we don't want to make those compromises anymore.

All of the seasons of "Little House on the Prairie" are available on DVD now. You can find them all on ebay. I think the Waltons are on DVD now too. Also, at WalMart, there is a large "family" section. If you don't want to buy, you could just write down the titles and then see if you can rent them.

"October Sky" is another good movie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen "Little House on the Prairie" for a long time. We also used to watch "The Waltons," and other wholesome shows that used to be on TV. Do they actually have wholesome shows on TV now? We don't watch TV, so I would not know. We watch the news now and then, but that is about it. I will definitely look at the "Family" section at Wal-Mart and get ideas for renting. We won't buy anything that we don't think we would watch a bunch of times. And, we can't afford to buy too much. Yes, "October Sky" is a good movie. Thanks for that reminder. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. They help!!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

Other Side of Heaven....

About a missionary who goes overseas to serve on an island with some natives...you'll laugh and cry and cheer.

Second Hand Lions....

About a boy who goes to live with his two uncles because of some bad

choices from the mother.

Dust Factory...(I haven't seen this one yet)

About two kids (early teens) who are in an accident and end up in a coma, go to heaven and have to choose to come back or stay.

Anne of Green Gables...Anne of Avonlee...

Just a wonderful movie....this one is a classic all the way.

Big Fish...

About a son and father coming to terms with "stories" that dad had told throughout his life to his son....sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

This is all I can think of right now...that adults would enjoy too.

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Have you seen "A walk to Remember"? I think that's the name of it. If I remember correctly that was a good show with no sex, violence, etc...

I know how hard it is to find a good movie. I have taken movies back and asked for credit because they are so foul. I have pretty much given up on movie watching.

If you find a good one let me know ;)

Other Side of Heaven....

About a missionary who goes overseas to serve on an island with some natives...you'll laugh and cry and cheer.

Second Hand Lions....

About a boy who goes to live with his two uncles because of some bad

choices from the mother.

Dust Factory...(I haven't seen this one yet)

About two kids (early teens) who are in an accident and end up in a coma, go to heaven and have to choose to come back or stay.

Anne of Green Gables...Anne of Avonlee...

Just a wonderful movie....this one is a classic all the way.

Big Fish...

About a son and father coming to terms with "stories" that dad had told throughout his life to his son....sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

This is all I can think of right now...that adults would enjoy too.

Love and Blessings,

Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Angel! I'll make a note of those and check them out.

Have you seen "A walk to Remember"?  I think that's the name of it.  If I remember correctly that was a good show with no sex, violence, etc...

I know how hard it is to find a good movie. I have taken movies back and asked for credit because they are so foul.  I have pretty much given up on movie watching.

If you find a good one let me know :noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We own a copy of "A Walk to Remember," and it is a very good movie! I do have some I will suggest, but I need to make a list of them first, because I have a horrible memory. I'll have the list for you soon! Thanks for your input.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

rent 8 Mile.....

lol just kidding