• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

My husband and I love to watch movies. This is one of our main ways of relaxing. Our children are all grown, so they are no longer an issue for us. We have the TV Guardian, which is a box that cuts out the bad language through replacing words in the CC, if the movie is marked CC. So, in most cases, that is not an issue.

Nonetheless, we are having great difficulty finding anything decent to watch that we have not already seen a bunch of times. We don't want to watch anything with sex, nudity, sexual situations, sexual humor, crude or rude humor, etc. And, we don't want to watch anything where people are sleeping together outside of marriage, or where there are extramarital affairs or honestly where any sin is glorified and laughed at and regarded as ok.

We also do not want to watch anything demonic or with extreme violence, gore, blood and guts, etc. Mild violence is ok if appropriate with the story line and is not just thrown in there just to have gore.

So, we find ourselves going through the movie rentals and ruling out 95% of them, and the 5% that are remaining we have seen enough times. I know this is long, but does anyone have any recommendations of movies that are clean-cut?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

You could try renting those nature shows :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

I'm particularly fond of Shakespearean plays made into movies. I realize that the themes may not make the cut because some are quite secular but I enjoyed Hamlet. I still love Romeo and Juliet, but it has a suggested sex scene in it.

There's no sex or foul language in Henry Vth but the battle scenes are pretty rough. Excellent movie, though.

I strongly suggest Henry V. The king goes into battle with France and the night before the great battle, falls on his knees in prayer and begs God to give them victory. He confesses his sins and the sins of his father and pleads for God to grant them favor.

In a case of incredible and miraculous odds, this historically accurate portrayal of the King of England depicts a remarkable victory God gives this godly king.

It does help to have some understanding of basic Olde English and/or a good understanding of Shakespears' plays.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear Sue,

Did you happen to see the section under "Parents". It's called "Family Movies". There's not too much there yet, but hopefully more will contribute to it and we can have a decent list of good movies?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  775
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  11/12/1987

Ever After is one of my Favorite movies ever. There isn't any sexual inuendos...there may be a kiss or two. But nothing bad. The language isn't foul. It has Drew Barrymore and that guy in it :P Hope that helps ;)

If you like kid movies.......I know a jillion. I love them as much as my nieces and nephews do :)

Do you like Westerns? A lot of the old timey movies are good. I am not sure about language though. My family curses a lot, so often times in movies I don't even notice it :) but Rio Bravo was good, and if you like them I can find out a whole lot more.

Ghost, Body Guard, 10 Things I hate about you (it's more of a teen movie, but it's really cute), Andre (about a seal... and a little girl) Stepmom, To Dance With the White Dog, Fried Green Tomatoes.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

Christ's Free Servant -

I know what you mean!! We step into Blockbuster every once in a blue moon and it's just covered with smut and gore. It's hard sifting through it. I know someone who just decided they weren't going to do it anymore. Have you checked out "plugged in" on the Focus on the family website? You can go there and get excellent reviews on movies. I keep meaning to go there and get a list of movies that are acceptable so I'd be ready next time we want to rent.

You could also check out Christianbook.com and go to their movie section.

Edited by Annette443pink

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

this is so cool that u guys do that. i was like that with tv shows and with music. i never buy secular CD's but i have backslid to watching the secular music channel and tv shows and movies. its awesome to sacrifise stuff (not really though but it seems like it at first)

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

All of the seasons of "Little House on the Prairie" are available on DVD now. You can find them all on ebay. I think the Waltons are on DVD now too. Also, at WalMart, there is a large "family" section. If you don't want to buy, you could just write down the titles and then see if you can rent them.

"October Sky" is another good movie.

You could try renting those nature shows ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For instance? Not sure what you mean. You mean like Disney stuff?

I'm particularly fond of Shakespearean plays made into movies. I realize that the themes may not make the cut because some are quite secular but I enjoyed Hamlet. I still love Romeo and Juliet, but it has a suggested sex scene in it.

There's no sex or foul language in Henry Vth but the battle scenes are pretty rough. Excellent movie, though.

I strongly suggest Henry V. The king goes into battle with France and the night before the great battle, falls on his knees in prayer and begs God to give them victory. He confesses his sins and the sins of his father and pleads for God to grant them favor.

In a case of incredible and miraculous odds, this historically accurate portrayal of the King of England depicts a remarkable victory God gives this godly king.

It does help to have some understanding of basic Olde English and/or a good understanding of Shakespears' plays.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your suggestions. We do watch Hamlet every now and then and we also have Midsummer Night's Dream and another one that is a comedy and the name escapes me at the moment, but actually we may have gotten rid of that one because it had a sex scene in it and we are really trying to stay away from that. We have gone to live productions of Shakespeare's plays, too.

We also enjoy Jane Austin novels made into movies. We just watched Pride and Prejudice tonight for about the fifth or sixth time (not continuously). We have a couple of other ones by her and we also have Little Women, which I love. We like the old English movies like this, so if you know of any others, please let me know.