Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Maybe some of you want to tell of a particular pastor in your life....

Years ago (1970s), there was a wonderful visitation pastor, Dr. Hovey, at Church of the Open Door in downtown Los Angeles.   Dr. Hovey had such a presence of peace about his person....he simply oozed peace.  Of course, this must have been due to his prayer life with the Lord.  Dr. Hovey would visit the homebound and the ill at hospitals.

When my dad died in 1975, Dr. Hovey helped my mother and myself very much with the funeral, and even with taking some clothing to the funeral home.   He even offered us a free burial plot but we declined as it was too far from us.  He gave the message at the gravesite of my dad....some of dad's relatives had come out for the funeral.  I remember one of dad's sister-in-laws speaking privately to Dr. Hovey after the service....I think he must have talked to her about salvation.

There are some other dear and good pastors I recall, but just wanted to mention dear Dr. Hovey, a true saint of God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,195
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Maybe some of you want to tell of a particular pastor in your life....

Years ago (1970s), there was a wonderful visitation pastor, Dr. Hovey, at Church of the Open Door in downtown Los Angeles.   Dr. Hovey had such a presence of peace about his person....he simply oozed peace.  Of course, this must have been due to his prayer life with the Lord.  Dr. Hovey would visit the homebound and the ill at hospitals.

When my dad died in 1975, Dr. Hovey helped my mother and myself very much with the funeral, and even with taking some clothing to the funeral home.   He even offered us a free burial plot but we declined as it was too far from us.  He gave the message at the gravesite of my dad....some of dad's relatives had come out for the funeral.  I remember one of dad's sister-in-laws speaking privately to Dr. Hovey after the service....I think he must have talked to her about salvation.

There are some other dear and good pastors I recall, but just wanted to mention dear Dr. Hovey, a true saint of God.

It is such a blessing when we get to know and see Christ formed in another believer. Thanks for your testimony. :)

Much love in Christ, Not me 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Our associate pastor was the first to befriend and truly love my husband.  They became good friends.  Hubby needed mentoring and trusted very few.  But no one had even tried.  Pastor Mitch preached and shared at hubby's funeral, and shed a few tears over the loss of his friend.  Several unsaved people spoke of how much it meant to them.  Mitch isn't the best teacher and preacher, but he is full of God's love.  

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,646
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Years ago I learned for my own benefit through a series of events to not follow a man so much as to follow the God-man the pastor was teaching about.

Yes I have great memories of personal relationship with pastors, in both church and in business settings. I have an elder/pastor/ teacher that knows me and prays for me and counsels me personally even today. But again; I follow the teacher's teachings about Jesus and not my teacher. I pray for my teacher. I support my teacher through the local body of Christ too.

There just is't one that God has led me to follow except His Son; however I sure appreciate the memory of one pastor that worked  not at a church, but took work at the mortuary-cemetery where I was employed. He suffered my own profane nature and quietly talked with me many a time sharing of Jesus asking about my own athiesm on occasion. When later after I had left that place we again met as I was once again led to  work there, he asked of my change and my born again experience and life. We had many a grand conversation.

Reaching through time itself; if there is a man, a pastor by name, I would say without hesitation  Charles H. Spurgeon, and his encouragement in sermon to his own huge congregation to go  out  and give some support and encouragement to other pastors in the larger community so that some new locals  may come in  and visit their congregation while they do go  visit themselves to encourage other pastors churches. The point as I saw it was that  the spreading  of the word is more important than the personal  following of  even "he" was as the well known "prince of pastors".

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1