• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you trav!

Is there any way that it could be placed in the "Study" section?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I was compelled to post this, as I have heard much opposition to the teaching and expounding on the fear of the Lord.  It is SO necessary to our relationship with Him and our well-being.

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 15

33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

Wisdom was once explained to me as the ability to make decisions based on the Word of God.  I am finding how it is much like the pearl described in Matthew.

Understanding is to see God at work around you and to be in agreement with Him.

Proverbs 3

13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; 14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who retain her. 19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; By understanding He established the heavens;

What is Wisdom and Understanding?

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The fear of the Lord is as this:

8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil;

Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. 14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength.

3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. 8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.

23:17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day; 18 For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.

19 Hear, my son, and be wise; And guide your heart in the way. 20 Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; 21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.

The Beginning of Wisdom

Proverbs 1

It is so very valuable!

Proverbs 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. 14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

Proverbs 4

4 He also taught me, and said to me: "Let your heart retain my words; Keep my commands, and live. 5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.

Matthew 13

44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

It is of great worth to hear and love and obey the Word of the Lord.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of this.

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 4 weeks later...

Blackaby Devotion for today:

THE TERROR OF THE LORD

6/2/2005

Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

-- 2 CORINTHIANS 5:11

The fear of God is the greatest deterrent for sin (Exod. 20:20; Prov. 16:6). Those who perceive God as a benevolent and gentle grandfather will treat their sin superficially. They will worship halfheartedly. They will live life on their own terms rather than God's. But a reverent fear of holy God will dramatically affect the way a person lives. Even though Paul was an apostle of Jesus Christ, he feared God and knew that one day he would stand in judgment to give an account for everything he had done (2 Cor. 5:10). Our world does not applaud fearfulness. We teach our children to love God, but not to fear Him. We want to present a loving and non-threatening image of God to nonbelievers in the hope that Christianity will be more appealing to them. One of the great condemnations of our day may be that we have lost the fear of God. We promote Him as a "best friend" who saves us and "lives in our hearts," but we do not fear Him. It is true that we are God's adopted children and that we are fellow heirs, even friends, with Jesus (Rom. 8:16-17; John 15:14-15), but we are not His equals. He has forgiven us, but we are still His creatures. He is God, and we are not! If you find that you have become complacent with God's commands and have become comfortable in your sin, you are completely isolated from God's holiness. Take time to meditate upon the awesome holiness of God and allow the Holy Spirit to instill into your life a proper reverence for almighty God (Isa. 40:12-26). A deep sense of awe is essential to knowing God.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Malachi 3:5

And I will come near you for judgment; I will be a swift witness Against sorcerers, Against adulterers, Against perjurers, Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, And against those who turn away an alien-- Because they do not fear Me," Says the Lord of hosts.

Mal 3:16

Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them; So a book of remembrance was written before Him For those who fear the Lord And who meditate on His name.

Ac 9:31

Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.

We must realize how significant this is to the relationship.

More Passages for Study

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Charles Stanley teaches that the "fear of the Lord" doesn't mean we recoil in terror but that we live in reverence and holy respect of our Heavenly Father...

Fear is a word that would better be translated as deep and abiding reverence and honor of the Lord.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I agree, Cats.

Do we (with exceptions) recoil in horror when our own Dad comes near?

No, why should we do that with God?

Yomo

Yomo, I knew when to duck, though! :21:

Seriously, I had great respect for my Daddy. When he was unhappy, it was best not to "push" his buttons.

When Daddy was agitated, it became apparent. As long as he was still sitting down, I was safe. As soon as he stood up....I knew the "belt" was coming next.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

We fear the disciplinary action of our Father but we love Him just the same.

I have a healthy fear and respect of my Heavenly Father and live in reverence to Him.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I would agree that the fear of the Lord is the beginning,  however some never stop fearing. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if we stop fearing, then that means we have stopped practising this verse in proverbs8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. 14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength.

and every other verse that talks about such.

Once we know the Lord and have made him our Lord, should we still fear or do you think as we become one with Him the fear goes away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if the fear goes away that means we have become complacent. we should always always remember that 7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding....this is an eternal process. we can never be wise enough or understand enough.

we need a healthy fear based on our knowledge of the bible to be instilled in us always otherwise we start making up our own thing and making Him out to be what He is not.

we need a healthy fear based on our knowledge of the bible to be instilled in us always otherwise we start making up our own thing and making Him out to be what He is not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen, Peaches! Good post. :thumbsup: