• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

1 hour ago, Global Mission said:

I was involved in nursing home ministry many years ago.

We ( ministry team ) did singing - songs/hymns.

- Shared the Gospel message.

There are still some churches involved in "nursing home ministry" - where I live.

:) That is encouraging. Thanks for posting this, Global Mission.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yes, several individuals within the local body  of Christ here do so formally and informally at convalescent  homes and at rehab facilities. It is not a centralized from the top down  situation but the elders plus missionaries plus lay members each are involved.

Wow. This is cool. Even the missionaries are involved? Would like to hear a bit more on how it is organized.

Also, were you ever along to witness it in action? Sharing of the gospel? Music? How does the interaction go? ( In a group type setting, like a gathering in a community room or such? Or one on one?) Sorry. Probably too many questions. :taped: lol...I'll shush now.

34 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Plus  for many decades there has been a small group that  provides transportation and Sunday School , worship, and fellowship for the mentally disabled.

Praise the Lord! This is another often neglected ministry. I have a friend with a Down Syndrome son who had been badly treated at churches. She is currently not in one due to this. :( How sad.

37 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

There is also a formal group that tends to the widows in need- home maintenance, food.

:) Your church is obeying the pattern Paul set up here. I wonder how many out there do likewise. I've never personally been part of one that did, sad to say.

40 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

what is great is to see kids having now grown up taking over where many  of us geezers are starting to whither in our own abilities to do these acts in the name of our Lord Jesus.

:thumbs_up:Nice. It's as though you 'geezers' :laugh: (lol) have 'passed on the torch' and they have 'picked up the mantle.' 

You are blessed to be part of such a local body of Christ, Neighbor. Thanks for posting in this thread.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,645
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi TD,

Much of what happens here is not top down driven. We are very centralized in concept with 11 elders having the highest responsibilities for keeping things on the proper pathway, but in fact most things get started because someone feels led to do so. They will often then go to the elders explain what they are doing, seek prayer support and perhaps church support. From there they just go about their thing as called, and others tend to bump into what they are doing and some join. It's paradoxical but that is the way it happens here.

As to personal involvement I think I will leave it at God does use the foolish things....

-----

Today even I am kinda homebound, did foolish things yesterday, trying to pick up a heavy heavy compressor by myself, and so I too have to do church  via Youtube Livestream today ( Actually in a few minutes from now). Praise God for the many individuals that  learn sound boards video cameras and all that goes into  transmitting services live, and then having them archived and available to any and all that have internet access! That too is I think an amazing awesome ministry and also a missions work requiring lots of dedicated volunteers that will be on duty every time needed without absence. It also provides some worship service from "home" for our own missionaries in the field. Many churches  do similar. I find it a wonder, a terrific complement to the sharing by any church of our Lord Jesus and a comfort to many members unable to attend personally in the flesh.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

We are very centralized in concept with 11 elders having the highest responsibilities for keeping things on the proper pathway, but in fact most things get started because someone feels led to do so.

Thanks for explaining.

57 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Today even I am kinda homebound, did foolish things yesterday, trying to pick up a heavy heavy compressor by myself

Ouch! I cringed as I read that. I will pray for you.

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

I too have to do church  via Youtube Livestream today ( Actually in a few minutes from now).

When you said this, it jogged my memory about your church (which I believe you had mentioned to me before) as having live streaming. (Aye yai yai!  I am so forgetful these days.)

Well- I went to check it out. Although I came in late, I got a lot out of the sermon. It was a very good teaching on Psalm 22. Touched my heart deeply about how Jesus suffered true abandonment by the Father because of our sins. How He was looked upon as a worm...not even a man!

Liked the message so much that I hope to tune in for live streaming next week, too...Lord willing. :) Thanks, Neighbor for sharing your pastor with me since I don't have one of my own

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Praise God for the many individuals that  learn sound boards video cameras and all that goes into  transmitting services live, and then having them archived and available to any and all that have internet access! That too is I think an amazing awesome ministry and also a missions work requiring lots of dedicated volunteers that will be on duty every time needed without absence. It also provides some worship service from "home" for our own missionaries in the field. Many churches  do similar. I find it a wonder, a terrific complement to the sharing by any church of our Lord Jesus and a comfort to many members unable to attend personally in the flesh.

:amen: For those like me who can not go out to church it is a blessing to have the church be able to come (transmit) to me. A modern marvel. Technology can be used for evil, to be sure. But in this case, for good. I think it is wonderful to bring worship services from home to missionaries. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,645
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Pleased you were led to participate!

BTW older sermons are available at You tube and the church website with  pre livestream  audio of sermons are available all the way back  to the 1970s.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

To be honest, it's been so long ago, I really cannot remember much about it.  I'd forgotten about doing it until I saw this thread.

Our dog (big fluffy Bernese Mountain Dog) is certified with ATD (Alliance of Therapy Dogs).  A therapy dog is a pet that has been tested for behavior and training so that ATD is willing to insure them against any mishaps during a visit.  This is different from a service dog which is specially trained and allowed to go anywhere with their owner.    Therapy dogs can only go where invited and allowed.   The "training" is basic obedience and politeness so that they are not jumping on people, barking a lot, and listen to commands well.  Most of the training is for the handler to be aware of their dog's reactions to avoid any bad situations.   In addition, there are things like they have to leave food alone, behave properly around wheelchairs, walkers, and medical equipment.  I.e. not suddenly deciding to play tug of war with an IV tube or something.  The main thing is the therapy dogs are born, not trained.  If they naturally love people and are calm, a bit of obedience and politeness training and they are good to go.  A dog that is more introverted or attached to a few family members or defensive or high-energy could be trained to be polite, but they wouldn't enjoy it.  

There are a few different organizations that do this type of testing and certification.  Sadly, in some places, they get into turf wars with each other where they tell a place they are visiting not to allow dogs certified by the other organization to come in.   We've gotten shut out of a few places due to this type of behavior.  It's annoying, but there are plenty of other places to go.  It's fun being in a group of dogs, but it's also rewarding to be someplace no one goes to.  Usually, we just go in someplace and people interact with the dogs in some manner.  Some will give them a pat on the head, others want to snuggle and hug them.

We just look around for places (senior centers, libraries, schools, hospitals, etc.) and just ask if we can visit.  Most are thrilled to have us show up for an hour once per week or every other week or so.  Often the staff enjoy the visits as much as the kids, residents, or patients do.  Once our dog has met someone a few times, he often remembers them.  He'll perk up when he hears their voice or catches their scent and start looking for them. 

watsonsleep.jpg.3267272e1dbfc457377cef81e6ca5c18.jpg

What a gorgeous dog!   A big guy or girl but so laid back!

A couple of times when my mom and I went to the hospital to have our blood drawn after our doctor's visit next door, we ran into two Golden Retriever therapy dogs.  I didn't realize they could get so big...they were huge!   Very lovable, of course.

Another idea for the dogs is to visit children with Autism or even to visit children that are shy, lonely or have trouble making friends.

When my Bangladesh friends' young daughter was being bullied and ignored by her classmates, they got her a puppy which she always wanted who helped her alot.  Besides playing with her dog (her best friend), other children and even adults would talk to her more and more.   After many happy years their dog died (the little girl is now in college), so they got another puppy recently!  That dog will be so well cared for as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Debp said:

Another idea for the dogs is to visit children with Autism or even to visit children that are shy, lonely or have trouble making friends.

@Debp I enjoyed your participation in my thread! I have always been interested in Autism. I liked hearing about how the dogs can help these children.

Also, children that are rather timid and introverted. That would've been me :b:when I was growing up. Too bad I didn't have a canine companion.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Debp said:

When my Bangladesh friends' young daughter was being bullied and ignored by her classmates, they got her a puppy which she always wanted who helped her alot.  Besides playing with her dog (her best friend), other children and even adults would talk to her more and more. 

:) A neat story. Thanks for sharing this.

• Loved it! 1