turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

I was just wondering how many of you out there are part of a local fellowship that has a nursing home ministry. I have a heart for the elderly and am sad to find they are few and far between these days. I thought it would be nice to hear of some that still exist and a little about them. Are they sharing the gospel with the lost there? Or are they holding church services for Christians? Or both?

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Many many years ago, my wife and I'd do a Sunday morning service at a local one and bring our kids along.  I'd do a few songs on the piano, give a brief devotional, and then pray.   Perhaps 15 or 20 minutes and we'd spend time sitting and talking as well.

We now take our therapy dog in to a few places.

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard much about that type of ministry in a long time.  I have noticed though that most places we've been do have religious services of some type listed on the calendar of events.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,309
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

19 hours ago, turtletwo said:

I was just wondering how many of you out there are part of a local fellowship that has a nursing home ministry. I have a heart for the elderly and am sad to find they are few and far between these days. I thought it would be nice to hear of some that still exist and a little about them. Are they sharing the gospel with the lost there? Or are they holding church services for Christians? Or both?

When I attended Bible college my Christian service was visiting a nursing home.   The people there were in bad condition, strapped to wheelchairs, just laying in bed, and some were medicated, it was very sad.  When one of the ladies I visited there got transferred to a retirement place, I went to visit her there.  That place had a worship service, perhaps because the people were in better health and able to get to the room for the church service.

It would be a good ministry for churches today.   Turtletwo, perhaps you can phone churches where your mother is and see if any of them have a nursing home ministry?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

16 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Many many years ago, my wife and I'd do a Sunday morning service at a local one and bring our kids along.  I'd do a few songs on the piano, give a brief devotional, and then pray.   Perhaps 15 or 20 minutes and we'd spend time sitting and talking as well.

We now take our therapy dog in to a few places.

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard much about that type of ministry in a long time.  I have noticed though that most places we've been do have religious services of some type listed on the calendar of events.

@GandalfTheWise Thanks for sharing your story about you and your wife doing Sunday morning services at a local nursing home! It was nice to hear your personal experience. :) 

You said you brought your children along. Did the residents enjoy that? I know many elderly folks just love seeing children.

Can you please explain more about your therapy dog? Very interested.

Isn't it sad that nursing home ministries are so rare anymore?

When I was growing up, my church was faithful in what they called 'shut in visitation' which included going out to nursing homes with Bibles in hand (to share the gospel and pray with the residents there.) 

It was the norm for our church and being commonly practiced back in the 1970's. Each decade brought with it more apathy (justified by a 'too busy' attitude.) :(

The personal touch (one on one) of those church visitations to stopping inside individual rooms of residents was something that is irreplaceable. My friend and I used to do this on our own (apart from church) as teenagers whenever we went out to visit my disabled aunt at her nursing home.

I'm glad that most nursing homes have religious services. America is a mess spiritually. But we can be thankful that we still have some religious freedom. (At least, for now.)

• Loved it! 1

18 minutes ago, Debp said:

When I attended Bible college my Christian service was visiting a nursing home.   The people there were in bad condition, strapped to wheelchairs, just laying in bed, and some were medicated, it was very sad.  When one of the ladies I visited there got transferred to a retirement place, I went to visit her there.  That place had a worship service, perhaps because the people were in better health and able to get to the room for the church service.

It would be a good ministry for churches today.   Turtletwo, perhaps you can phone churches where your mother is and see if any of them have a nursing home ministry?

@Debp  I appreciate you telling of how you visited a nursing home and even went beyond there to follow up with one lady at a retirement home. Was she saved? Was she someone you had started out witnessing to or was she already a Christian? It must have been special to form this friendship.

:amen: Yes, it would be a great ministry for churches to be involved in. 

Thanks for the good suggestions of phoning churches in my mom's area... I already did this and found one by one they said, "We don't do that." And usually in a cold, annoyed voice. It was rather shocking to me.

Praise God, there was one lady from my mom's previous nursing home who was part of her church ministry to nursing homes. Her pastor did services there. But knowing my mom was bedfast and could not attend them, she'd make special efforts to go visit with her and pray for her in her room, afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,309
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

4 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

@Debp  I appreciate you telling of how you visited a nursing home and even went beyond there to follow up with one lady at a retirement home. Was she saved? Was she someone you had started out witnessing to or was she already a Christian? It must have been special to form this friendship.

:amen: Yes, it would be a great ministry for churches to be involved in. 

Thanks for the good suggestions of phoning churches in my mom's area... I already did this and found one by one they said, "We don't do that." And usually in a cold, annoyed voice. It was rather shocking to me.

Praise God, there was one lady from my mom's previous nursing home who was part of her church ministry to nursing homes. Her pastor did services there. But knowing my mom was bedfast and could not attend them, she'd make special efforts to go visit with her and pray for her in her room, afterwards.

No, the lady I followed up on at the retirement place wasn't saved....I recall she was a follower of Christian Science.  I did talk with a Christian lady at the nursing home and she told me they medicated the people... didn't want problems with them.

That is shocking that the secretary or whoever you talked with wasn't more kindly about your question.  That's nice that one church did have a ministry at the home and that the lady visited your mom.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

22 hours ago, turtletwo said:

I was involved in nursing home ministry many years ago.

We ( ministry team ) did singing - songs/hymns.

- Shared the Gospel message.

There are still some churches involved in "nursing home ministry" - where I live.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

You said you brought your children along. Did the residents enjoy that? I know many elderly folks just love seeing children.

Can you please explain more about your therapy dog? Very interested.

To be honest, it's been so long ago, I really cannot remember much about it.  I'd forgotten about doing it until I saw this thread.

Our dog (big fluffy Bernese Mountain Dog) is certified with ATD (Alliance of Therapy Dogs).  A therapy dog is a pet that has been tested for behavior and training so that ATD is willing to insure them against any mishaps during a visit.  This is different from a service dog which is specially trained and allowed to go anywhere with their owner.    Therapy dogs can only go where invited and allowed.   The "training" is basic obedience and politeness so that they are not jumping on people, barking a lot, and listen to commands well.  Most of the training is for the handler to be aware of their dog's reactions to avoid any bad situations.   In addition, there are things like they have to leave food alone, behave properly around wheelchairs, walkers, and medical equipment.  I.e. not suddenly deciding to play tug of war with an IV tube or something.  The main thing is the therapy dogs are born, not trained.  If they naturally love people and are calm, a bit of obedience and politeness training and they are good to go.  A dog that is more introverted or attached to a few family members or defensive or high-energy could be trained to be polite, but they wouldn't enjoy it.  

There are a few different organizations that do this type of testing and certification.  Sadly, in some places, they get into turf wars with each other where they tell a place they are visiting not to allow dogs certified by the other organization to come in.   We've gotten shut out of a few places due to this type of behavior.  It's annoying, but there are plenty of other places to go.  It's fun being in a group of dogs, but it's also rewarding to be someplace no one goes to.  Usually, we just go in someplace and people interact with the dogs in some manner.  Some will give them a pat on the head, others want to snuggle and hug them.

We just look around for places (senior centers, libraries, schools, hospitals, etc.) and just ask if we can visit.  Most are thrilled to have us show up for an hour once per week or every other week or so.  Often the staff enjoy the visits as much as the kids, residents, or patients do.  Once our dog has met someone a few times, he often remembers them.  He'll perk up when he hears their voice or catches their scent and start looking for them. 

watsonsleep.jpg.3267272e1dbfc457377cef81e6ca5c18.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

23 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Yes, several individuals within the local body  of Christ here do so formally and informally at convalescent  homes and at rehab facilities. It is not a centralized from the top down  situation but the elders plus missionaries plus lay members each are involved. Plus  for many decades there has been a small group that  provides transportation and Sunday School , worship, and fellowship for the mentally disabled. There is also a formal group that tends to the widows in need- home maintenance, food. what is great is to see kids having now grown up taking over where many  of us geezers are starting to whither in our own abilities to do these acts in the name of our Lord Jesus.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

37 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

A therapy dog is a pet that has been tested for behavior and training so that ATD is willing to insure them against any mishaps during a visit.  This is different from a service dog which is specially trained and allowed to go anywhere with their owner.  

36 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

The main thing is the therapy dogs are born, not trained.  If they naturally love people and are calm, a bit of obedience and politeness training and they are good to go.

:thumbsup:Informative. I learn something new all the time. Keeps life interesting.

38 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Sadly, in some places, they get into turf wars with each other where they tell a place they are visiting not to allow dogs certified by the other organization to come in.   We've gotten shut out of a few places due to this type of behavior.  

How unfortunate.

39 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Some will give them a pat on the head, others want to snuggle and hug them.

Awww. I love it! My Mom used to have a beautiful, mellow Golden Retriever come visit her room from time to time. (old nursing home, prior to her brain injury) She said he was well behaved and would give her his paw. When she was lonely or down, God would send this wonderful animal to her room. Maybe this is what you describe as a therapy dog?

48 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

We just look around for places (senior centers, libraries, schools, hospitals, etc.) and just ask if we can visit.  Most are thrilled to have us show up for an hour once per week or every other week or so.  Often the staff enjoy the visits as much as the kids, residents, or patients do.

:)What a neat ministry! Praise the Lord.

49 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Once our dog has met someone a few times, he often remembers them.  He'll perk up when he hears their voice or catches their scent and start looking for them. 

Dogs are sure smart. This is how that dog at mom's nursing home acted towards her. Friendly, happy to see her but not too rambunctious- (as dogs can sometimes  be.)

:teeth_smile: Cool photo of your dog just chillin'  What else can I say? A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks for posting it.