• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, JohnKing67 said:

You're right most churches do hold altar calls frequently.  It's so people who need to repent can go to the altar.  If you're saved then why go to an altar call for salvation?  It's not a requirement that you go to an altar call.  Why go if you don't need to?

I don't look at a church as being only for getting saved.  A person can get saved without a church if they want.  It's also about learning and fellowshipping with other Christians.  Spiritual growth is not over at salvation.  There's still a lot to learn after you're saved.

Okay, so you are like some of my good pals who say, "mental belief in the cross and resurrection/mental trust in Jesus Christ isn't enough, you have to have action to be saved".

But in church, you are not growing, only gaining intellectual knowledge of God, mental beliefs. After all, you can't do any better at all in the Christian walk, for the last few months, you've only done right actions.

How are you "spiritually growing"? I'm curious. To me, "spiritual growth" has to do with putting the facts of the Bible above feelings, even faith, and overcoming sin.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  10/09/1967

22 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Okay, so you are like some of my good pals who say, "mental belief in the cross and resurrection/mental trust in Jesus Christ isn't enough, you have to have action to be saved".

But in church, you are not growing, only gaining intellectual knowledge of God, mental beliefs. After all, you can't do any better at all in the Christian walk, for the last few months, you've only done right actions.

How are you "spiritually growing"? I'm curious. To me, "spiritual growth" has to do with putting the facts of the Bible above feelings, even faith, and overcoming sin.

Most Christians, myself included, can probably do better.  In terms of giving their time to God.  Doing God's will I mean.  

36 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

thanks. And how often do you go to church?

I don't go every week, but I'm trying to get to that point.

40 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

There's also receiving things like "the fruits of the spirit", the "Holy Ghost baptism". 

54 minutes ago, JohnKing67 said:

Most Christians, myself included, can probably do better.  In terms of giving their time to God.  Doing God's will I mean.  

Not doing better when you can is SIN. Sin is "missing the mark of perfection" in the Greek. The Bible also says "all wrongdoing [like not doing better] is sin" and the Bible says "whatever is not of faith [like not doing better] is sin".

You are in the church for the same reason as me, you sin. Not an accusation, you seem like a strong brother who loves the Lord, but you are confused on this doctrine of "perfection". Perfection is in Heaven:

1) Only perfect people can live in Heaven (without messing it up for others)

2) Christ died to make imperfect people perfect

3) Born again Christians do a LOT better than others in most cases, but are imperfect

4) Born again Christians will be perfected at the Rapture, the blessed hope, saved

46 minutes ago, JohnKing67 said:

There's also receiving things like "the fruits of the spirit", the "Holy Ghost baptism". 

Yes, and don't forget "putting on the armor daily" of Ephesians 6, which is required daily because we are tempted to sin daily.

By the way, if you only sin every few months, you are in the fruits of the Spirit for months at a time, so if you get the Holy Ghost Baptism, there is no reason to be in church other than the command to not neglect fellowship, Hebrews 10. :)

58 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

how often do you go? specifically?

May I ask why it's relevant how often I go to church? 

48 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Yes, and don't forget "putting on the armor daily" of Ephesians 6, which is required daily because we are tempted to sin daily.

By the way, if you only sin every few months, you are in the fruits of the Spirit for months at a time, so if you get the Holy Ghost Baptism, there is no reason to be in church other than the command to not neglect fellowship, Hebrews 10. :)

I'm not planning on sinning every few months if that's your question?  The rest of what you said I can agree with, although I won't question everyone's reason on why they go to church.

8 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

because it sounds like you dont go regularly and often to church and I wonder if you think that, as you dont sin, you dont need church or fellow christians. I am also thinking that maybe where you do occasionally worship is not called a church.

I think church is helpful so I wouldn't say it's not needed.

8 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

still not answered the question though.

also, in what way do you think its helpful and needed?

Yeah, I find that question a bit personal.

I think it's helpful to fellowship with other Christians.  I think there's other ways to fellowship though besides church.