• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I know that this probably isn't going to make me very popular, but this must be said: The whole "strong beats make people think lustful thoughts" or "heavy guitar makes people rebel" thing is completely unbased and logically fallacious. I happen to be one of those people that was moved towards God thanks to the influence of Christian rock. I can still remember listening to my first Christian rock song (performed by the band Delirious). I was crying for God by the time it was done, not thinking "BOY, I NEED SOME SEX!!"

I can name off at least a dozen Christian Rock guitarists (none of them famous, though, so it won't mean anything to you) who have been some of the strongest Christian influences in my life.

Anyone know of the Christian pop (which is a form of rock) band "Jake" ?? Most of them graduated from my Bible College.

That's just my story. I do think that if anyone happens to be dragged down by rock music--whether or not it's Christian music--they should not be listening to it. But that's just common sense (or at least it should be).

Now, I will give you a few reasons why the statements I listed in the first paragraph are logically unsound.

1. There are insufficient statistics to prove that those statements are true. I sincerely doubt anyone has actually asked Christian teens/young adults whether those things are true for them at all. This is called the "Insufficient Statistics" fallacy.

2. They are blanket statements. Which means they assume that what may be true of one song or genre--or even one person--is true for all. This is also called the "Hasty Generalization fallacy"

3. They imply a causal relationship which is fallacious in its core. This fallacy occurs when people assume that what happens after an event is caused by that event. For instance, rebelling after listening to a rock song. It's sometimes called the "Post Hoc" fallacy, which is short for post hoc ergo procter hoc, which means "After this therefore because of this." Such arguments would never even stand up in a highschool debate club.

I would also like to point out that "thou shalt not listen to rock music" is not in the Bible. These, however, ARE in the Bible:

"It is good to praise the LORD

and make music to your name, O Most High"

Ps. 92:1

"Let us come before him with thanksgiving

and extol him with music and song."

Ps. 95:2

"Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth,

burst into jubilant song with music;"

Ps. 98:4

"I will sing a new song to you, O God;

on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,"

Ps. 114:9

"Let them praise his name with dancing

and make music to him with tambourine and harp"

Ps. 149:3

I have heard the argument that the instruments listed in the Bible (such as the harp, tambourine, cymbals and lyre) are the only ones that we should be using in a church service...Well, if that's true, you all need to get rid of your pianos and organs, too. They were using the instruments that were current to the times, instruments that were jubilant and exciting to them. Well, for teens and young adults, the guitar and the drums are jubilant and exciting to us.

If you're sexually aroused by a drumbeat, better stay away from big bands and Handel.

If you're inspired to rebel by music of any kind, maybe you'd better examine what it is in your life you're so upset about, and see if there's a better way to deal with it.

If you're still reading this post, I commend you, because it was long...I apologize for the length of it, but I guess I'm pretty passionate on this subject *grin*

Thanks for hearing me out.

EDIT: fixed a typo *grin*z

Edited by Iryssa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I agree...I think people too often confuse preference with principle. Just because it's something that doesn't appeal to them or something they wouldn't prefer..it suddenly becomes something evil and taboo for everyone.

To the original poster...I'd highly encourage you to read the topic called "LEGALISM". :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Is it just me? or are there people around here bent on finding reasons to send christians to hell. I've noticed a lot of unsound doctrine being spun from divorce, contraception, music and buddy with the mocking god. One more sign of the times I guess :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Oh, it's just not you...it's incredible to me that some people think that a thing so little as a song or a t-shirt can suddenly make people unsaved in another Christian's eyes.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Wonder why Teens and young adults don't like older people? Because they don't make sense, geez people lets not become fogies :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

hahah..I love the last three posts. :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Too much legalism going on. If the music glorifies God, what is the problem? If the message on the clothing you wear glorifies God, what is the problem? Do some want to go back to 17th century America and live where you are being judged and forbidden from even smiling? Lighten up folks.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Too much legalism going on.  If the music glorifies God, what is the problem?  If the message on the clothing you wear glorifies God, what is the problem?  Do some want to go back to 17th century America and live where you are being judged and forbidden from even smiling?  Lighten up folks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen :emot-highfive::emot-highfive:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

Firstly, I am a fan of rock music. I was bought up on band like Iron Maiden (who are now one of my two favourite bands, the other being a Christian band, Pillar), AC/DC etc and I think, now you may disagree on this so feel free to argue, that I've turned out okay.

We live in a 'blame' culture... everyone loves to have something to blame that will avoid them holding any responsibility. Take, for instance, the many times teenagers have shot people or killed themselves and it has come out that they have been listening to a certain band or artist. Everyone is so quick to blame the music they listen to rather than face the fact that this kid (or kids) have MAJOR mental issues that were never resolved. The bands people blame always have millions of fans all over the world... if it was the music, how come the other millions of fans aren't killing themselves/other people?? The fact is with these cases, music isn't too blame. These kids have mental problems that have never come to light and it is always so much easier to use music as a scape goat. Sorry, rambling away there, but this is something I feel passionately about.

Back to Christian rock. I love Christian rock. I take it we are talking about proper rock rather than supposed rock that is actually not rock at all?? Music is a fantastic way of getting people to hear the message and to use music, you need to use a musical genre that will appeal to people- not everyone is into pop or whatever. How can spreading the gospel be wrong??

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Is ANY music "christian"?

Hmm . . . I think the only style of music that cannot be traced back to pagan roots is Jewish music. :)