• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

We live in a 'blame' culture... everyone loves to have something to blame that will avoid them holding any responsibility.  Take, for instance, the many times teenagers have shot people or killed themselves and it has come out that they have been listening to a certain band or artist.  Everyone is so quick to blame the music they listen to rather than face the fact that this kid (or kids) have MAJOR mental issues that were never resolved.  The bands people blame always have millions of fans all over the world... if it was the music, how come the other millions of fans aren't killing themselves/other people?? The fact is with these cases, music isn't too blame.  These kids have mental problems that have never come to light and it is always so much easier to use music as a scape goat.  Sorry, rambling away there, but this is something I feel passionately about.

So very true...I think part of the problem comes from the fact that many parents just aren't parents anymore, so they a) don't know their children or how to deal with them and b) are very quick to push responsability for those problems their children may have onto anything else...it's a very sad state of affairs.

Back to Christian rock.  I love Christian rock.  I take it we are talking about proper rock rather than supposed rock that is actually not rock at all??  Music is a fantastic way of getting people to hear the message and to use music, you need to use a musical genre that will appeal to people- not everyone is into pop or whatever.  How can spreading the gospel be wrong??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, I agree wholeheartedly....though I don't think the original poster of this topic really knows what "proper rock" is, so I've just been kinda lumping everything together, though it pains me to do it *grin*

Hmm . . . I think the only style of music that cannot be traced back to pagan roots is Jewish music.  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may be right...at least in the broad definition of the word "pagan"...I can already hear all the modern-day Pharisees saying "PAGAN ROOTS?!! YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL!!" *grin* I've heard people say that "the beats they use in rock music originate from voodoo witch-doctor's chants, so if you use them, you're practicing voodoo." :) I just don't get people. *shakes head in disbelief*

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

[Again, I agree wholeheartedly....though I don't think the original poster of this topic really knows what "proper rock" is, so I've just been kinda lumping everything together, though it pains me to do it *grin*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I figured as much!

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/28/1962

As christians we should discern what we watch, listen to, and allow to be put before our eyes and ears kind of like the children song many of you are familiar with O be careful little eyes what you see cause the Father up above is looking down from above O be careful little eyes what you see. I believe today there is an influx into the christian market because secular music is on the decline so they label these artist christian or the music christian. If we are truly christian we will have discernment about what we buy also remember lucifer was in charge of a music program before he was cast out of heaven with his angels so why would nt he try to imitate God in what He doe. In His Service TEN COMMANDMENTS

• Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I wish Led Zepplin would have been a Christian Band. What a rythem section!

Dan

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

My 13 year old daughter came home 2 weeks ago with an assignment from school. Each in her class was to make a CD/tape of their favorite songs. They were to have at least 8 songs by 8 different artists. They had to design an "album cover", describe the type of music and its message to the class. These were the songs she chose for her CD......

Awesome God

Fields of Grace

Give Us Clean Hands

Here I Am to Worship

How Deep The Fathers Love For Us

I Can Only Imagine

Last Words

Talk About It

The Little Girl

When He Reigns

Your Beloved

She's presenting it to her class today. Hallelujha!

:emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Ok, i am going to be dumb and put my two sense in.

Iryssa, you said:

Oh, it's just not you...it's incredible to me that some people think that a thing so little as a song or a t-shirt can suddenly make people unsaved in another Christian's eyes.

there is a reason that that could be. I guess it is called a mixed signal. For instance, you see a church bus parked, and the bus driver is smokin' a cigarette; what does that make you think? Hypocrite maybe?

Would you think that that person has accepted Chrsit from first glance? The bible says that If a man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things are past away, behold, all things become new(Sorry if misquoted). You wouldn't expect a Christian to be smoking and you wouldn't Expect them to be cursing in a way that would make a sailor blush with shame. The lost know how a christian is supposed to act, and when they are seen doing somthign they are not supposed to, they probably say "they are no differnt then the rest of us." Acceptign Christ means a change, and seeing a christian listenign to rock or wearing a wrong kind of shirt, one would not look at them and say "Hey, there is something differnt about them."

I have to be honest, i am against this "christian" rock, rap, punk, etc. That type of music(rock, rap etc) are of the world. Another thing, i have never heard of this until recently. THe bible says "Be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove that which is the holy, acceptable, and perfect will of God." Changing the bible standards of music to fit to our own desires.. is that right?

Forget christian rock and everything, just think abotu the stuff of hte world for a minute. Many times, one cannot even understand the words. They are listening to the beat.. now why do they do that? What is their entire purpose for listenign to that music?

Now, changing to music like that, even changing aroudn the words.. is that right?

You can take in a stray dog, tidy it up, make it so it looks nice.. but is it not the same dog? Take music of the world, change around the words but keep the beat... is it right? "Be not conformed to this world" "Come out from amoung them and be YE seperate saith the Lord.."

Think about it.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I heard somewhere (may've read it here) that some of the "standard" hymns we use today were composed by people who had at one time, before their becoming a Christian, frequented the saloons; the only tunes they knew were the barroom tunes and they gave them new Christian lyrics! :21:

Now if we're going to use this argument against Christian rock, we need to throw out country/Southern gospel music as well. Some of the bigger Southern gospel songs were written by country artists-I Saw The Light was written by Hank Williams who also gave the world a little dandy entitled Honky Tonkin'! So if we would follow this fallonious argument that's being used against Christian rock, we can go the next extreme and do away with any gospel with a country flavored touch!

• Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

Is basketball Christian?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No but foosball is of the debil :21:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Here is an essay that basically sums up what I believe about Christian Rock music and the like...well...it doesn't directly deal with it but it certainly deals with the idea that music could be "evil".

I'll give you a hint in case you don't understand: your belief is Dualistic :21:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

Yes, now think about how many 'Church' customs originated from the world. Catholics 'flogged' themselves in repentance. Just as eastern religions walk on coals and pierce themselves with needles and such. Both to prove a relationship with the divine. These are only but a couple examples. Basically the Church as swallowed much 'idolatry' thoughout the centuries. Everything is "Holy" but the One who said he was it seems. Holy books holy buildings holy people holy sacraments......Yet God says I ALONE am God, there is NONE but me. I am Holy.

See, the issue is. Even way back in the 3rd century, when Constantinople melded 'Christianity' into the Roman Catholic Church, the apostles probably said the same thing your saying about 'Christians' today. The apostasy did not start in our modern time. It has been around since the beginning.

On one hand I agree, it is hypocritical to say you are in union with Messiah and act like the world.

On the other hand I also agree with using communicative tools to relate to them, so long as you do not reject the Truth at the same time.

Paul did this as well.

1 cor 9:19 I have become a servant of everyone so that I can bring them to Christ. 20 When I am with the Jews, I become one of them so that I can bring them to Christ. When I am with those who follow the Jewish laws, I do the same, even though I am not subject to the law, so that I can bring them to Christ. 21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not have the Jewish law, F47 I fit in with them as much as I can. In this way, I gain their confidence and bring them to Christ. But I do not discard the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. 22 When I am with those who are oppressed, I share their oppression so that I might bring them to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ. 23 I do all this to spread the Good News, and in doing so I enjoy its blessings.
Edited by Shimshon