• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, In Him said:

Thank you for this thread.  If I may interject: a most memorable chapter in Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secrets; Chapter 10 A Man Shut Up to God.

Nothing before, nothing behind:
The steps of faith
Fall on the seeming void, and find
The rock beneath.
J. G.  Whittier

So it was alone on the sands at Brighton that Sunday morning, that he met the crises of his life.

"In great spiritual agony, I wandered out on the sands alone. And there the Lord conquered my unbelief, and I surrendered myself to God for this service. I told Him that all the responsibility as to the issues and consequences must rest with Him; that as His servant, it was mine to obey and to follow Him, His to direct, care for and guide me and those who might labour with me. Need I say that at once peace flowed into my burdened heart?"

...for His glory.

It is so much of a blessing when we find a author who’s relationship with Christ we can taste. Growth is surely to follow. Munch-ity, munch, munch. :)

Much love in Christ, Not me

1 hour ago, Not me said:

It is so much of a blessing when we find a author who’s relationship with Christ we can taste. Growth is surely to follow. Munch-ity, munch, munch. :)

Much love in Christ, Not me

:) 

Edited by In Him

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,375
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

More thoughts on abiding by Hudson Taylor....

If the root be holy, so are the branches.  Romans 11:16

As a branch each believer is directly united to the true Vine, which receives all things needful through the care of the great Husbandman Himself.  This is very blessed; overpruning or underpruning is impossible.  He will train and sustain every individual branch: the needs of each are known to Him.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/28/2018 at 11:42 PM, Debp said:

A little gem by Hudson Taylor...

Abide in Me, and I in you.  John 15:4

The word "abide" ... is rather that of rest than labor; it suggests not attainment or struggle, but quiescent enjoyment.  Failure to recognize this simple fact lies at the root of many of the fallacies which hinder Christian people from enjoying the rest of God, abiding in Christ.

thank you Debp, love  it!

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,375
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Really love these old time pastors/missionaries.  They can say so much with so little words!  Another gem by Hudson Taylor....

When I am weak, then am I strong.  2 Corinthians 12:10

Go forward in the strength of the Lord, and in the sufficiency that comes from Him alone, and thank Him for your conscious insufficiency, for when you are weak, then He can be strong in you....If at any time you are conscious of failure or sin, or even if you stand in doubt about anything, confess it at once to Him, and accept His promise of immediate cleansing and restoration.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Corrie tenBoom said something like "it is not a heroic surrender, but a simple sinking into God's will."  That was in her book, "Don't wrestle, just nestle" in God's arms.  And so is our abiding rest.  Her book "Not good if detached" conveys the same thought of being connected to the Vine to bear fruit.

• Loved it! 1