New Testament tithing

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

Who is the church you give to. If one does not believe the church is cut up by denominations who then is the church and how would you give?

Are the poor out classed be the traditional upper and middle class church because they pass the plate and have nothing to give so they don't go?

Edited by Mike Mclees

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I give to the local church that I belong to.

1 hour ago, Deborah_ said:

I give to the local church that I belong to.

Thats fine if you are comfortable with that church. I belonged to a denominational church many years ago, but with maturity I became somewhat disenchanted with the denoms and their peculiar beliefs. I think we start seeing the order more than Christ. The question is who is the church if you are not of the million traditional churches. Who is the church that Jesus sees. Tithing then becomes not something we give to support but a matter of love and stewardship. Kind of like the good Samaritan who went out of his way to care about others even at his own expense.  

33 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Since we are not called to support the Levites, we are not called to tithe.

We are called to love our neighbor as our self. Love always requires willingness to sacrifice. Our time our finances, or what ever the case may be. This is not the law but of the law of the spirit. We are being changed to the likeness of Christ giving of ourselves. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Gal 6:6  Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches.

1Ti 5:17    AMP  Let the elders who perform the duties of their office well be considered doubly worthy of honor [and of adequate financial support], especially those who labor faithfully in preaching and teaching. 1Ti 5:18  For the Scripture says, You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain, and again, The laborer is worthy of his hire. [Deu 25:4; Luk 10:7]

1Co 9:14  In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

We definitely need to support our pastors and elders.  We need to support the outreach of our local churches.  Some are supported by an overseeing church government but many more are independent of that and are totally dependent on their congregations.  Mine is like the latter.  The pastors supported themselves in construction jobs till they could no longer do so due to the size to which it had grown--about 350 people.  Then they started full time ministry.  They live humbly and are themselves giving to the poor.  

So I give to my local church.  Offerings are also given to poor Christians first, and then to other poor as the Lord leads.   These are over and above my support for my church that I give to the Lord.  

2Co 8:1  We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia,  2Co 8:2  for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.

2Co 8:3  For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, 2Co 8:4  begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints— 2Co 8:5  and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Local churches haven't proven to be very wise in their spending, so some research local charities and donate directly to them.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

The Bible says/teaches:

1) Giving for born agains is voluntary

2) Unique blessings come with giving 10% and giving above 10%

3) Tithes should be geared toward elders who support us and/or as the Lord leads

23 hours ago, Willa said:

Gal 6:6  Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches.

1Ti 5:17    AMP  Let the elders who perform the duties of their office well be considered doubly worthy of honor [and of adequate financial support], especially those who labor faithfully in preaching and teaching. 1Ti 5:18  For the Scripture says, You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain, and again, The laborer is worthy of his hire. [Deu 25:4; Luk 10:7]

1Co 9:14  In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

We definitely need to support our pastors and elders.  We need to support the outreach of our local churches.  Some are supported by an overseeing church government but many more are independent of that and are totally dependent on their congregations.  Mine is like the latter.  The pastors supported themselves in construction jobs till they could no longer do so due to the size to which it had grown--about 350 people.  Then they started full time ministry.  They live humbly and are themselves giving to the poor.  

So I give to my local church.  Offerings are also given to poor Christians first, and then to other poor as the Lord leads.   These are over and above my support for my church that I give to the Lord.  

2Co 8:1  We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia,  2Co 8:2  for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.

2Co 8:3  For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, 2Co 8:4  begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints— 2Co 8:5  and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us.

What about preachers who ask for nothing. I don't believe the apostles preached for a living.  I am asking who is the church that Jesus sees Is ii a million denominations or is it personal. 

Paul said no ye not ye are the Temple and the spirit of God dwells in you.

The Lord sees His church from on high. The Lord doe not have a favorite church that goes to heaven  Just those who do the will of the Father

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 10/31/2018 at 7:47 AM, Mike Mclees said:

Who is the church you give to. If one does not believe the church is cut up by denominations who then is the church and how would you give?

Are the poor out classed be the traditional upper and middle class church because they pass the plate and have nothing to give so they don't go?

The church that God sees is all that have surrendered to Jesus as Savior and Lord over their lives.  They are born again and adopted into God's family.  The local church is that gathering of believers plus all that desire to learn of Him.   I believe that we all should be accountable to a local body of believers and serve as God leads us. We should go to worship God and serve Him.  Going to a "country club" church to be seen by others does not appeal to me.   No one should not go because they cannot give.  I give by mail so rarely put anything into the church offering.  We all dress casually so no one appears to be poor or rich.  I live on Social Security and a small pension from work, and my husband left no life insurance.   We have people from AA, prisons, as well as a few very wealthy.  No one really notices.  The prayer requests of a few give the information of their struggles.  We weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice.  

Heb 10:24 ESV And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,  Heb 10:25  not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Jas 2:5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? [I may be poor but I sure am rich!]

10 hours ago, Willa said:

The church that God sees is all that have surrendered to Jesus as Savior and Lord over their lives.  They are born again and adopted into God's family.  The local church is that gathering of believers plus all that desire to learn of Him.   I believe that we all should be accountable to a local body of believers and serve as God leads us. We should go to worship God and serve Him.  Going to a "country club" church to be seen by others does not appeal to me.   No one should not go because they cannot give.  I give by mail so rarely put anything into the church offering.  We all dress casually so no one appears to be poor or rich.  I live on Social Security and a small pension from work, and my husband left no life insurance.   We have people from AA, prisons, as well as a few very wealthy.  No one really notices.  The prayer requests of a few give the information of their struggles.  We weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice.  

Heb 10:24 ESV And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,  Heb 10:25  not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Jas 2:5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? [I may be poor but I sure am rich!]

Thank you Willa for your response. I do fellowship locally. It is  denominational but I dismiss that nor do I believe in peculiar doctrines of certain churches. Because the congregation are elderly and they need a meeting place  I put money in the plate as a free will offering. Giving to support denominations is the snag. There is no such  thing in Gods kingdom. We are saved by grace trusting Christ sacrifice for us. But it does no stop there. Because of the Holy Spirit we are being changed into His likness. We are the living Church, there for we Love God and neighbor giving to the needs of others. 

There is much more to this but this is enough for the moment Be this known that we are not going to heaven for being a good Catholic, Baptist , Methodist and you name it