turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

"And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come."
--Luke 19:11-13

(To read it in full, it goes through verse 27)

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,189
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, turtletwo said:

"And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come."
--Luke 19:11-13

(To read it in full, it goes through verse 27)

Hi Turtletwo, was thinking this would make such a great topic for a post, if someone felt lead to do so. The meaning and intent of;

“occupy till I come.”

Great scripture(s). :)

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me  

Edited by Not me
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

On 3/18/2019 at 1:36 AM, turtletwo said:

And he called his ten servants

Shalom my sister,

I don't know why I have never thought about this before but the way you posted this made me wonder "why ten servants?".  Very specific, although I never considered this matter.  

You need 10 people to form a Synagogue in Jewish practice. So maybe this 10 relates to the establishment of a church which would tie into "occupy until I come"? Just a theory though.

Any ideas?

Love & Shalom

• Thanks 1

@Not me :amen:Thanks for the words of encouragement.

@Tzephanyahu 

3 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

You need 10 people to form a Synagogue in Jewish practice.

:)I was not aware of that. Interesting thought.

Here are the remaining verses to this parable:

14 But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’ 

15 When he returned, having received the kingdom, he ordered these servants to whom he had given the money to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by doing business.1

16 The first came before him, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made ten minas more.’ 

17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant!

Because you have been faithful in a very little, you shall have authority over ten cities.’ 

18 And the second came, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made five minas.’ 

19 And he said to him, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ 

20 Then another came, saying, ‘Lord, here is your mina, which I kept laid away in a handkerchief; 

21 for I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. You take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.’ 

22 He said to him, ‘I will condemn you with your own words, you wicked servant! You knew that I was a severe man, taking what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow? 

23 Why then did you not put my money in the bank, and at my coming I might have collected it with interest?’

24 And he said to those who stood by, ‘Take the mina from him, and give it to the one who has the ten minas.’ 

25 And they said to him, ‘Lord, he has ten minas!’ 

26 ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 

27 But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

Shalom

One of the most interesting parables to me. I love studying this one. It keeps bringing more and more insight. 

@turtletwo What do you think the Mina is in this parable? Love, Gifts of the Spirit, Wisdom, Commission or something else?

Love & Shalom

• Praise God! 1

17 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom

One of the most interesting parables to me. I love studying this one. It keeps bringing more and more insight. 

@turtletwo What do you think the Mina is in this parable? Love, Gifts of the Spirit, Wisdom, Commission or something else?

Love & Shalom

@Tzephanyahu :teeth_smile: I think any of these you listed could actually fit.  

But I perceive the mina to represent the LIFE we are each given (representing our time and our talents.) For it seems to me that this is what life consists of. 

God calls us to be faithful stewards of our lives. So we are not to waste time nor squander our talents (letting them wither up.) Both should be wisely invested...to the glory of God and the good of others.

(The glory of God= Greatest Commandment;

The good of others=Second Greatest Commandment.) 

Edited by turtletwo
formatting
  • Praise God! 1

17 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

It keeps bringing more and more insight. 

@Tzephanyahu I'd love to hear some of those in my thread! :) I've never had opportunity to discuss this parable with anyone before. Interested to discover what you have learned.

Shalom sister,

I love your interpretation of it being time as well. That's fantastic. 

You know the more and more I read some of the parables of Yahushua, the less I feel I really know about them!  We take so much for granted, but when you re-read them again with no preconceived or churchy ideas, it's like a well of treasures.  I even wonder if the parables have multiple-interpretations with each one of them being true.  Almost like a prism with a spectrum of colours, which can all be unified into white light or divided accordingly. Each one true, each one necessary.

13 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

Interested to discover what you have learned.

Well, perhaps let's consider this parable further then. Let's say the mina is either love, time, talents, gifts from God, or opportunities... Then who is the banker? How can we give one of these attributes to someone else to earn "interest" on them? Tricky. Perhaps symbolic of your own family (doing good for them) or perhaps ourselves (at least change your ways).  I don't know. I can't find a suitable answer which quite fits, so please share your opinion.

Also, let's consider the last servant. He is the only one who accuses the Master on his character! He is also incorrect is his judgement of him because he says you reap what you did NOT sow - yet the Master DID sow a mina, so he is entitled to reap it.  However, the Master, rather than correcting him, says that he will judge the servant by his own assessment.  To paraphase "You think I'm like this, do you? Well, that's exactly who I WILL be to YOU then!" ... Terrifying.  Surely a lesson that matches the Messiah's teaching that we will be judged how we judge others.   So, you're very judgement of God's character, such as doubts of his goodness and love, may well be your undoing when it comes to our rewards! 

Such an interesting parable.

Love & Shalom

• Praise God! 1