• Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Being technically deficient or unaware, I have need  of information:

Are there good better best camera security systems for personal /residential use that you know about? How about poor poorer and poorest?

Thanks

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,148
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Are there good better best camera security systems for personal /residential use that you know about? How about poor poorer and poorest?

Thanks

it's kind of like computers, two weeks after you buy a system it's outdated.  I bought a "Nightowl" system several years ago, and they actually got a felony conviction on the theft of one of my generators...   Then a year later I decided to change out all the camera's for some new higher resolution cameras.     My system is not the least expensive nor the most....   it is my personal experience that the cameras they sell with the system are of lower quality than those you would get buying them individually.

Also you have to decide whether you have a hardwired or wireless....   and the way your house is laid out would make a difference.    It's also a matter of whether it is tied into a monitored security system like ADT or a stand alone....     and if you use the stand alone you need to make sure that the system emails you pictures quickly for chances are if you're broken into they will steal your dvr and what camera's they can get to.

I personally have a system that emails me pictures as soon as the camera's pick up any motion and records about 30 seconds of video from that camera.

I don't know of the differences in brand names, but the 12 volt power supplies on the cheaper camera's will not hold up if you replace the camera with a new one without changing to a higher output power supply.

If you can it is best to visit someone who has camera's and just see if theirs fits your needs...    

I would say though that after we got the felony conviction on the dude that took my generator, it seems the word went out and no one even comes on the property any longer.  I occasionally leave my garage door open and the lights on when I get busy and stop for a nap and the wife doesn't wake me up till midnight....    so far no one has bothered anything....    but I do have the house and yard lit up at night so anyone can see who's messing around the house.

LED lights are very economical to use.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Thanks

Google the companies and get ratings and reviews. 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18

20 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Google the companies and get ratings and reviews. 

Perhaps I will "Bing" them. I try to never Google. :D But thanks.

• Followers:  18

2 hours ago, other one said:

excerpt:

LED lights are very economical to use.

Yes I do have some set outside that are exceptional bright and inexpensive.

I do have many Arlo higher end cameras, looking to add outside.  My notice is cell phone dependent and I am out of range more often nowadays. So I am looking to augment with a back up system for immediate Alarm response. 

ADT wanted 7,000 to install a system, My older Spectrum system was getting tired and more expensive too and did not provide video.

Of course I do have insurance too. Just trying to see if anyone has something they especially like. -To fill in the gaps.

I'm not at all keen on having to rely on Mr. Mossberg's service when at home, much rather have early alert along with video.