Debp

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

This one caught my eye immediately.  Japan has been a concern on my mind for a very long time.  I suspect Japan may not survive what is coming at all.  The Great Tohoku Quake of 2011 and the subsequent tsunami was preceded by a series of foreshocks over several days before the big one, and that series of foreshocks began with a DEEP 6.6 in almost exactly this spot.  This quake was 453 km deep.  Deep quakes foreshadow further activity more often than shallow quakes do.

Tohoku_predecessor.png

• Thumbs Up 1

This set I find a bit amusing.  This area has been ringing with aftershocks from that 5.7 that knocked Moroni's trumpet out of his hands back on March 18th.   Lots and lots (again, very, very localized aftershocks) since then...and many of them in the 4+ range.....enough to rattle some teeth in the Mormon Tabernacle and probably make them a bit uneasy :).

You reckon the devil is mocking those he deceives with a name like Moroni?   Take off one letter and you get "moron".  Add one and you get "moronic".   I guess we know Who gets the last laugh :)  But God does have a habit of mocking idols....something to watch :)

Salt Lake Quakes.png

• Praise God! 1

Second 6+ quake near  Japan in two days.

2nd_6+_near_Japan_April_2020.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,333
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

We had another earthquake just after Midnight today.   A 3.7 magnitude.

I felt it strongly.....two very strong jolts seconds apart.   Was thankful it didn't continue!    The area was in South Los Angeles.

Anyone else feel it?   My cat looked scared for quite awhile after the jolts.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:03 AM, Debp said:

We had another earthquake just after Midnight today.   A 3.7 magnitude.

I felt it strongly.....two very strong jolts seconds apart.   Was thankful it didn't continue!    The area was in South Los Angeles.

Anyone else feel it?   My cat looked scared for quite awhile after the jolts.

I'm a little surprised nobody else felt that :)  I guess you're our only LA representative.  In reviewing the thread during my normal daily quake awareness excursion I realized I missed posting on one of the most interesting swarm hotspots ...near Cascade Idaho.  I'll get that one added next, plus an interesting pair of small quakes on the New Madrid fault zone...

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Jostler said:

I'm a little surprised nobody else felt that :)  I guess you're our only LA representative.  In reviewing the thread during my normal daily quake awareness excursion I realized I missed posting on one of the most interesting swarm hotspots ...near Cascade Idaho.  I'll get that one added next, plus an interesting pair of small quakes on the New Madrid fault zone...

I'm sure glad it didn't continue into a bigger quake!   Currently I'm trying to keep groceries in the apartment with this virus thing, let alone having to have earthquake supplies!

Oh, New Madrid, that's quite the fault.

This is one of the most interesting quake spots on earth (my opinion) because it is not on any major fault, though very minor faults do run through this area, from Helena Montana all the way to southern Nevada.  Yet EQ activity is certainly much rarer than along major fault areas.  This particular swarm began about March 24th resulting in a 6.5 on March 31st, and has been throwing off significant aftershocks in the 3+ - 4+ range ever since.

It's just under 100  miles NE of Boise and just over 200 miles due west of Yellowstone Lake (Yellowstone Caldera).   This is not so uncommon it's interesting for rarity alone.  This general area (within 300 miles) has had swarms in 2005, 2015, 2017 and a 6.9 in 1983 that did considerable damage.  What does make it interesting to me is the size of the biggest quake in the series (6.5) which is pretty rare, and the frequency, intensity and longevity of the swarm, which is still throwing off 3+ - 4+ quakes just about ever day, and sometimes several a day.

I haven't found any articles published by any experts reference this current swarm yet, but past swarms have been associated with magma movement, not quake faults.  I speculated that might be the case, and it still seems the most likely answer.  Eventually I'll find a paper where some geologists weigh in...

Anyway, the shallow depth, and previous history of the area, nearness to the Yellowstone Caldera, the plausible potential for a volcanic cause....all make this one particularly interesting on my watch list.

Cascade_swarm.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Talking about shallow depth, the one we had the other day was only seven miles deep.   Isn't that considered shallow?   Probably why we felt it strongly, plus almost in the center of L.A.   Usually they are in the ocean off the coast.

This was the other interesting bit i forgot to post other than the Idaho swarm.  Just two 2.7 squeakers that happen to be right on the New Madrid fault just a few miles across the river from New Madrid Missouri, which the fault is named after.  Interesting for both rarity, and the fact that the New Madrid represents a significant threat of a very large, very devastating quake.   There weren't any seismographs present in 1811 and 1812 when the famous New Madrid quakes happened, but at least 3 quakes somewhere between 7.2 and 8.6 occurred over a period of about two months.  Designating earthquake magnitudes based on historic eye witness reports and observable remnants is dicey at best, but some geologists argue that one of those three (and thousands of aftershocks) might have been 9+ and possibly the largest ever quake on the continental US.  Scientists currently are concerned that it again has that potential, and may be overdue for release.

New_Madrid_squeakers.png

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,435
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

In Toronto here, we don't have any earthquake , but about two months ago, we had a false alarm from our Nuclear power plant that was sent to our phones.

For about two week now, there are these small black flies all over the place. I go for my walk/run exercise in a few blocks and they are everywhere. In  the parking lot of our complex, they are all over  the cars. Usually, we get this occurrence one or two days in a year, but this has been two weeks now.  They do not bite, but its just everywhere.  Strange times indeed.